Three Men and a Baby

Started by goldennuggetrecordings, March 04, 2016, 07:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dumpster D

Quote from: LuckMach3 on March 31, 2016, 02:07:07 PM
Quote from: (the) Razor on March 31, 2016, 04:16:45 AM
First review isn't too hot:

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/features/ae/3998124-album-review-mike-melvins-effort-sadly-not-worth-wait

The guy is entitled to his opinion but saying, "the Melvins made people wait nearly two decades for an album" makes it sound like Chinese Democracy.  I was under the impression most of us thought the whole thing was cancelled and we'd get the demos at some point on a boxset of unreleased material.

Quote from: blacksanta on March 29, 2016, 12:09:36 PM
Best part of the album? The production. It was nice to hear new material under a different producer. I like Toshi/Melvins production, but all Melvins since 2002 have been recorded by Toshi, so there is a certain "sameness" to the overall sound of their records. This was a nice change for the ears.

I agree to an extent.  I really like the production on The Maggot but here...it's hard to explain.  To me it's almost like the production job wasn't finished or something.  The album sounds unlistenable through certain speakers around my apartment.  Through my Bose headphones it still sounds...lacking in some way. 

Toshi does a fine job but I would like to hear someone else every other record just to mix it up a bit.

Its got a Great amount of Godheadsilo in the recording, you should listen to them more!

the ether bunny

Lyrically, this is my favorite Melvins album

"This used to be the future, but now it's just shit."
"I don't like your kids but you do!"
he was a mongoloid.

black stallion

Quote from: the ether bunny on January 07, 2017, 02:42:32 AM
Lyrically, this is my favorite Melvins album

"This used to be the future, but now it's just shit."
"I don't like your kids but you do!"

8)
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

meezer

This album is just so much icing on the cake. It gets better with every listen and we already got all that great stuff from that era to begin with.
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

))))((((

Quote from: meezer on January 07, 2017, 07:48:43 AM
It gets better with every listen
That's true. I still don't really class it as a masterpiece or anything like that but it's a good record. An interesting record in their discography, existing a bit like how 'You Know You're Right' does as a posthumously released Nirvana song. I'd say perhaps Three Men And A Baby gets a 8/10 from me. Which is very surprising because on my first few listens i wouldn't have gone above a 5.

PepsiMike

I wonder if you play this album along with the Ted Danson movie, if it lines up like Pink Floyd and the wizard of oz?

Mints

coodies

Getting more into "A Dead Pile Of Worthless Junk."  :buzz:

black stallion

is this album underrated? possibly yes. it's really weird

))))((((

Quote from: black stallion on September 24, 2021, 04:29:13 PM
It is the Melvins album i always forget about! I wish it had came out when it was recorded. For me it acts as a really strange call back whilst sitting in among their recent releases.

amazonAMAZON

What's the moment on this record you all wait for most? Mine is the crowd noise with Mike's non-sequitors, forget which track.

black stallion

my favourite track is probably Bummer Conversation. man, Dale Crover is everywhere on that song

Quote from: ))))(((( on September 24, 2021, 07:01:38 PM
Quote from: black stallion on September 24, 2021, 04:29:13 PM
For me it acts as a really strange call back whilst sitting in among their recent releases.

i think you're right. it shows how different (better) Melvins album production used to be back in the days. especially drums

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on September 24, 2021, 07:23:56 PM
What's the moment on this record you all wait for most? Mine is the crowd noise with Mike's non-sequitors, forget which track.

ah, yeah.. that's pretty funny. some Bohnam style drum solo on that one

vince furnier

this is just so many levels of weird and it works.

https://youtu.be/9HwkS15wlVw
Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

black stallion

Quote from: vince furnier on September 25, 2021, 07:28:39 AM
this is just so many levels of weird and it works.

https://youtu.be/9HwkS15wlVw

ah, yes.. this is another favourite track of mine

amazonAMAZON

The Internet says this album was supposed to be '99. Anyone know whether it originally would have come out before, after, or during the trilogy?