Melvins vs Metal Church

Started by Bigval, March 11, 2016, 11:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigval

QuoteSpeaking about METAL CHURCH's relationship with the bands from the early Seattle "grunge" scene like NIRVANA, Kurdt said: "I know Krist [Novoselic, NIRVANA bassist]; he was kind of a friend of mine. They kind of came out to our rehearsals and stuff when we'd have party rehearsals where we started. But, for the most part, we were a big joke to them. They were the cool guys and we were the old metal guys. Even on [NIRVANA's] 'Bleach' [album], [Kurt] Cobain spelled his name like mine — Kurdt. I could never quite figure that out, but I kind of put two and two together, and they were poking fun. Like the MELVINS think I'm just obnoxious and all this stuff, 'cause they're too cool. And we're a bunch of rock stars, and they're too cool. So, you know, fuck 'em."

Kurdt added that he "never had any trouble" with NIRVANA and said that he "always liked" their music. "I thought it was great," he said. "And I liked the MELVINS, and I thought we were friends, especially Buzz [Osborne] and I. And then I come to find out later that we were a big joke, and I was a big joke to all these guys."

He continued: "I never did anything to them. I always liked them. I thought they were great. I thought we were friends. But the whole NIRVANA thing, I kind of figured out later through talking with people that when they were doing their thing, 'cause they were all punky and cool, that we were the metal guys and we're stupid and we're posers and rock stars. So it was really cool not to like us — especially me, being from Aberdeen, and those guys being from Aberdeen, they were, like, 'Fuck those guys!' Oh, well."

According to Vanderhoof, not all the bands from the Seattle grunge scene were disrespectful to METAL CHURCH. "[The ALICE IN CHAINS] guys are great," he said. "Yeah, I like all those guys. Those guys have been really cool, and still cool to us and everything too. But the Grays Harbor bands — you know, the NIRVANAs and the MELVINS and all that kind of stuff — they, again, especially had something against me, apparently. So I thought we were friends, but apparently not. So... fuck those guys."

It's apparently a big story on Blabbermouth.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/kurdt-vanderhoof-says-metal-church-was-a-big-joke-to-nirvana-fk-those-guys/

Dumpster D

If you read the liner Credit on the back sleeve on one of the Metal Church Records they give a shout out to the Melvins on it...so I figured there was no bad blood there.  :?

could see this being true, but I wasnt *there*

Who cares though, I still listen to Metal church, Nirvana..not so much.

DToxico

I think it's Mangled Demos whose liner notes have this long diatribe bashing and mocking Kurdt that comes off a little mean-spirited IIRC, especially with its aside on the subject of outing him. I haven't read that in a while, but I wouldn't be shocked if this were true.

Either way, I second "who cares". This is trivia at best, I hate these apparently slow news days when 'news' sites start posting articles about stuff like this and they try to make it a big deal.

(PAUL)

Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

Dumpster D

I duno, To me it sounds like Buzz knows what he is talking about as always I trust his opinion on things. In this case, Its irrelevant to anyone and sounds like its all ancient history anyway.

Why is it necessary to Dredge up the past and hang it on the wall and exploit it.

I dig my own Dirt.

Its like hanging someone elses dirty laundry in public and calling attention to it. Fuck that shit.

homeless_dad

Is Ian back yet??

Dumpster D

Is he single? Maybe put them in touch.   :wink:

LuckMach3

Seems like a case of he said she said.  It'd be nice to ask Buzz, "Did you and Kurt really hate that guy?" or something along those lines.  We should start a "Questions for Buzz" thread so the next time we get a chance to interview him we can pull it up and ask some of the better ones instead of quickly dated ones like "Is a third album coming out in 2016?"

I did always think Buzz's "HOMO!" comment was weird though.  He's said in another interview that he doesn't care at all what two people do in the bedroom.  I have a feeling something was lost in text.  Maybe he was just baffled that he'd leave San Francisco to go back to Aberdeen and that's all there is to it.  Without his trademark laugh I don't know what to think!
Buttholeman is a power tripping emotional abuser.  He censors my posts and says I need mental health help.  He's a jerk.  Please don't listen to him.  People DO love and respect your opinions.  I'm one of those people.  I love you. PM me if you're stressed.

Start with the following link if you feel sad:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O3ZQPezglQ

homeless_dad

Quote from: Dumpster D on March 12, 2016, 07:10:13 PM
Is he single? Maybe put them in touch.   :wink:
I wouldn't want him to date my worst enemy!  He's an undiagnosed-bipolar, manipulating, control freak. No bueno.

I have a bootleg of a melvins practice from 1988 where Buzz yells something about Metal Church. I'll have to look for it.
Is Ian back yet??

FartLips

I've heard buzz call dale a homo a few times in the span of a couple of minutes. Any truth to that?
Quote from: JASONALEXANDER on March 08, 2024, 11:35:21 PM
Brilliant story, Ian!  :lol:  :lol: And what harm has Ian ever done to Fart that he deserves to be harrassed no matter what he writes, even when it's funny and brilliant as fuck? Digger > Nigger and an Fuck > Shut!  :lol:

DAYSTAR

Hey cut buzz some slack, he just wondered aloud, in liner notes,  dredging up and exploiting the past, why a homo would choose to live anywhere other than San Francisco. That's all. Sheesh.

But seriously, fuck Lukin for calling buzz a faggot. Lukin's an asshole.

meezer

Quote from: LuckMach3 on March 12, 2016, 07:56:04 PM
Seems like a case of he said she said.  It'd be nice to ask Buzz, "Did you and Kurt really hate that guy?" or something along those lines.  We should start a "Questions for Buzz" thread.
Easier solution. Email it to Brian in broken English, pretending you don't know this isn't the Melvins official website.  :anonymous:

Quote from: LuckMach3 on March 12, 2016, 07:56:04 PM
Without his trademark laugh I don't know what to think!
That is so true!  :lol:
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix