The Mohawk - Austin, TX - March 31, 2016

Started by Topaz, April 01, 2016, 08:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topaz

Of course it was a tremendous show as always! The venue was PACKED. The outdoor stage made it fun, and it was the first time that I had seen flashing colored lights on the stage in sync with the Melvins' set. (OK, so maybe it belonged to Napalm Death. Who cares.  :wink:)

The set list was awesome. My only complain is that it included nothing from Houdini. Oh well. They played two songs from that album last summer when I saw them, so no big deal. It WAS cool to hear "Eye Flys" as the opener, though.

All songs are highlights at Melvins shows, but the ones from last night included "Sesame Street Meat," which really got the mosh pit activated. What a great down-and-dirty song. Other highlights included the KISS cover "Deuce;" the new track, "The Decay of Lying" from War Pussy; and of course "Revolve" toward the end of the set; that one got the crowd the most riled up.

Steve McDonald looked awesome up there, totally hamming it up and fitting right in. Someone once mentioned that they were so glad to finally see a long-haired bassist. They were right! By the way, if you've never heard any stuff from his band Redd Kross, I definitely recommend going over to YouTube and checking some out.

Until next time, Melvins!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1hYpTSJrGs

[attachment deleted by admin]

Stewardess

thanks for the review.  I dig the Mohawk
HONK.

bUTTHOLEmAN

Is the Mohawk stage outdoors?
Thanks for the review.
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

Stewardess

HONK.

meezer

"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

Buzzinthebox

Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on April 01, 2016, 11:31:40 PM
Thanks for the review.
It's a great venue to go to if you are ever in austin.

Topaz, I noticed how Steve kept flailing his hair it was actually pretty awesome having not been used to seeing long hair, glad you enjoyed the show!

[attachment deleted by admin]
"This is America. I don't want a tomato picked by a Mexican. I want it picked by an American, then sliced by a Guatemalan and served by a Venezuelan in a spa where a Chilean gives me a Brazilian." - Stephen Colbert

black stallion

Charmicarmicat:Bastards

jules

Quote from: Topaz on April 01, 2016, 08:35:47 PM
Someone once mentioned that they were so glad to finally see a long-haired bassist.
:cheers:

meezer

I've seen long haired bassist, drummer, the whole band, actually. Stick around long enough, it'll happen.
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

Topaz

Quote from: Buzzinthebox on April 02, 2016, 02:32:18 AM
Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on April 01, 2016, 11:31:40 PM
Thanks for the review.
It's a great venue to go to if you are ever in austin.

Topaz, I noticed how Steve kept falling his hair it was actually pretty awesome having not been used to seeing long hair, glad you enjoyed the show!

Thanks for the pics. The Mohawk also has an indoor stage, but it's super tiny.

The venue has remodeled and put in terraces facing the stage. Three levels I think. But I preferred to be on the ground!

Topaz

Quote from: Stewardess on April 01, 2016, 10:34:56 PM
thanks for the review.  I dig the Mohawk

I love it too. It's nice having multiple bars. I love the whole Austin scene!

Topaz

I added some footage on the first post by the way. Forgot to do it initially.

meezer

Topaz

Quote from: meezer on April 02, 2016, 09:29:52 AM
What do they do when it rains?

I'm not sure, although the stage is covered. There's a small standing area under the terrace, but it wouldn't be adequate.

meezer

Quote from: Topaz on April 02, 2016, 09:37:46 AM
Quote from: meezer on April 02, 2016, 09:29:52 AM
What do they do when it rains?

I'm not sure, although the stage is covered. There's a small standing area under the terrace, but it wouldn't be adequate.
Tickets probably say rain or shine. I saw Ween twice at Alice Cooperstown in Phoenix, which was a similar setup. Good thing it hardly ever rains.