Milwaukee: Melvins / Napalm / Melt Banana

Started by ___-----_____------_____, April 24, 2016, 09:52:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

___-----_____------_____

My ear melted off from the Napalm.
The Melvins were tight as usual, good set, choice of songs.
Merch was pretty much out.  :(
PAUL, were you there??

Here's a short, obstructed teaster:

https://youtu.be/9i1416U8Lfo
Beauty is a Rare Thing - Ornette Coleman

(PAUL)

Yeah I was there, good times! Once they played Magic Pig Detective the place went pretty nuts and didn't let up until the end. Merch was looking light but I did pick up the poster
Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

joelk

(PAUL)

Quote from: joelk on April 24, 2016, 12:44:44 PM
How long was Melt Banana's set?
About a half hour. They're selling their own merch so their "shop" wasn't open until after their set, I'm guessing that's standard practice for them on this tour.
Hail, not fail.

___-----_____------_____

Good to know you were there Paul.  I would have preferred them at Turner Hall again (if just for the lower cost of the booze), but it was def a solid show.  Napalm Death was one of the heaviest shows I might have ever witnessed, it was awesome they tapped into their early stuff.

Jozzy

Did they happen to have the squirrel shirt there? My brother was at the show and was supposed to snag me one if they had it restocked.

(PAUL)

Quote from: Jozzy on April 25, 2016, 12:42:00 PM
Did they happen to have the squirrel shirt there? My brother was at the show and was supposed to snag me one if they had it restocked.
They did yes, $25. I thought about getting that but decided to go with the poster instead. They were pretty much out of vinyl but had Mike and the Melvins signed CDs and tapes and the Bulls and the Bees/Electroretard CD.
Hail, not fail.

Jozzy

Thanks! Now I will know if he is full of shit if he says they didn't when I ask him tonight :lol:

(PAUL)

So yeah, great show! They played at the Rave, which I've bitched about before on here but it was okay overall! The sound isn't the greatest but I was able to park not that far away and the sketchy people around there for the most part left me alone (I did see some homeless guy trying to sell some young kid a CD he probably stole). Even the drive there wasn't bad as I took the back roads to avoid the road construction (in Wisconsin there is only two seasons, winter and road construction) and got there about when I would have on the highway if it wasn't under construction. So yeah, Melt-Banana started the show out and played for about a half hour. They played a nice blend of some older stuff, tracks off of Cell Scape, Bambi's Dilemma and Fetch, no covers though. They were by far the popiest thing that evening, although I'm guessing the Paint Wars happening at a different part of the venue was pretty poppy. That being said there was kind of a pit, of course right by where I happen to be standing, but it was mainly teenagers pushing each other. After a brief break my friend Ben and I got up closer and shortly the Melvins came out and pretty much ruled. From Magic Pig Detective on the place was a crazy pit and shoving and being squished but MAN, it was a blast. I'm guessing the set is pretty standard at this point, but they didn't play Halo of Flies, instead the last song had Shane come out for double bass Night Goat. Steven seemed to be having a lot of fun up there, making faces and doing kicks and stuff, had a kind of glam rock thing going on but not super cheesy? He was great on the bass, being all over the fretboard and really owning the songs. So yeah after the set I hit up the merch and grabbed that poster and then we kind of hung back for Napalm Death's set. They had some lighting issues that the other two bands didn't have but it didn't affect things too much. We took off after maybe half of their set but did catch Scum and a song that had part of Procreation of the Wicked in it. ND isn't really my thing and the acoustics of the venue didn't help out that much but the crowd stuck around for the most part and seemed to really enjoy it. The place was pretty packed so that was good, but then again it was a Saturday night and they were giving away free tickets about a couple of weeks before the concert.
Hail, not fail.

___-----_____------_____

They actually ended with "Take me out to the ball game" which featured Dale on lead vocals.  :wink:

(PAUL)

Quote from: ___-----_____------_____ on April 26, 2016, 07:37:22 PM
They actually ended with "Take me out to the ball game" which featured Dale on lead vocals.  :wink:
Oh yeah! I tried singing along but my voice was pretty shot by that point.
Hail, not fail.