Author Topic: Playing With Teeth Question  (Read 1213 times)

Offline joelk

• melvins is gay
    • View Profile
Playing With Teeth Question
« on: August 17, 2016, 12:53:58 PM »
The tabs I find for this are often wrong, especially if you watch Buzz play it. It seems like he takes the C from fret 3 and bringsa it up to a single string , muted noise riff on fret 10 (a string). But unlike the tabs that move you from fret 3 to fret 2 (power chord), going down from the a string 10th fret to 9th fret doesn;t sound right. Anyone know what he's doing here to make the b chord part of that riff?

Online Dumpster D

• MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Playing With Teeth Question
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 02:26:21 PM »
Dont depend on tabs, Just use your ear. you will pick things up quicker.

Second, Call me a crazy Lunatic, but I want you to try something and get back to me on this: Try tuning down to open G (slide guitar blues tuning) but then Drop the D down again so its like double Drop D kinda.  Try playing some of the opening riffs from LYSOL in that tuning while barring the notes and listen to the way it resonates..do you think its how Buzz gets some of those chords to sound dissonant?  Its an interesting trick and It would not surprise me if this was the tuning.

I could be completely wrong but Im playing with teeth and it seems to work in this tuning but I am probly mistaken, I dont see them playing Dwight fry in open G tuning so...need another opinion.

You are right about the way it sounds different and I noticed the same thing the way I was playing compared to the way it sounds on the recording.
"Wrap the rest of this song around That!...fucker"