Author Topic: Band-inspired band names  (Read 2098 times)

Offline Mints

• sun ra was right
    • View Profile
Band-inspired band names
« on: March 04, 2012, 03:23:33 PM »
Personally, I find it a bit lazy and boring to name your band after another band (although I guess it's pretty flattering). Boris is a great song and I like the band just fine, but surely they could've come up with something else. I think there's a band out right now called Louder Than Love. I like that album and all but that is just lame.

***** Fuck, I just remembered Halo of Flies. I smell a banning! Don't do it, Haze - I love the band and that ain't no heartfelt shit. *****

Anyway, there's some band called 2:54 that I hadn't heard of and still know nothing about. I guess I'll look them up after this. Here's a quote from an article in The Guardian:

The band name comes from the exact point in the 2006 Melvins track A History Of Bad Men where according to Hannah the bassline becomes both "doomy and dreamy". It's fitting, marking the point where two very different styles come together.

I suppose that's as good a reason as any to pay homage to something with a title. Any other band names you can think of that come from another band? Keeping it Melvins-related, I would have to guess Buzz-Oven but I have no idea what they're all about.

Offline Conor

• Fears SNIVLEM
  • I don't mind if you don't speak!!
    • View Profile
    • Bad Mothers Union
Re: Band-inspired band names
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 03:26:09 PM »
My friends had a band called The Bit years ago. But this was in a town where not many people knew the Melvins and they always acknowledged it if they were asked. So I don't think there's any harm in that really.
I'm going to pray for you all now.

Online dead mike

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • Seldom right, never in doubt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 04:22:10 PM »
My favorite of these is REO Speed Dealer, but it's my understanding that their namesake forced them by threat of legal action to change their name.
Washington Boulevard, east-bound ... 33. Can I get a transfer, man? ... NINETY-FIVE CENTS?! Fuck you, I'll skate to the beach! And I'll look better getting there!

Offline DC

• MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 05:45:01 PM »
http://www.myspace.com/blacksantasound

"I'd asked if i could play drums for Black Santa a while back, but they said they didn't want one and that Foo Fighters suck and that if i had reformed SCREAM then maybe they would've thought about it." - Dave Grohl on druming for Black Santa

Offline Mints

• sun ra was right
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 06:50:48 PM »
My friends had a band called The Bit years ago. But this was in a town where not many people knew the Melvins and they always acknowledged it if they were asked. So I don't think there's any harm in that really.

There's no harm in it at all. No offense intended. I probably should've said "it's not for me" instead of suggesting that it was lame.

Having said that, I maintain that Louder Than Love is a bad, bad name for a band.

Offline Conor

• Fears SNIVLEM
  • I don't mind if you don't speak!!
    • View Profile
    • Bad Mothers Union
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 07:37:08 PM »
Yeah, that's a really bad name for a band, alright. I wouldn't even call a straight-up Soundgarden tribute that. There's tens of better names that they could've chosen as a nod to them if they're influenced by the Kights of Soudtable. Yeah, The Bit were a great band. They used to play their namesake and Copache as well, or so I believe.
I'm going to pray for you all now.

Offline Kolonel Kurtz Kobain

• knows moss
  • DD = happiness
    • View Profile
    • Go, Dodgers, go !
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 05:21:09 PM »
http://www.myspace.com/blacksantasound

"I'd asked if i could play drums for Black Santa a while back, but they said they didn't want one and that Foo Fighters suck and that if i had reformed SCREAM then maybe they would've thought about it." - Dave Grohl on druming for Black Santa

Black Santa is right: Foo Fighters suck a bundle of dicks.
I'd rather be at Dodger Stadium...

Offline jules

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • A bad mouth betrays a bad mind
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 11:47:35 AM »
I was backstage at the Oslo opera a couple of weeks ago

8) ,  by the way )

and met a guy there who works on the sets. He has a band called The Shevils. Yep, after the Melvins.

A day earlier, in a punk bar called Enga opposite where I was staying, the owner told me her husband's best friend just had a kid they called Melvin. Yep, after the Melvins. Oslo's full of nut-jobs.

Offline GrimReaper

• MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 11:23:41 PM »
From Ecumenical  :):

Mellvins music on Bandcamp.

https://mellvins.bandcamp.com/track/by-my-side-2

Offline vince furnier

• sun ra was right
  • see my only mind explode, when I've gone insane!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 05:14:05 AM »
boris  :?

godsmack  #-o
Welcome to my Nightmare!

"uh no, but we do know that meezer is vince furnier" - brian

Offline ))))((((

• descendant of shirley temple
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 05:16:04 AM »
The only one that springs to mind (other than Boris) is Radiohead. Who are named after a Talking Heads song.