semi acoustic set/Q&A/Colossus of Destiny screening for the Noise Pop Festival

Started by GrimReaper, February 19, 2017, 01:14:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrimReaper

:-"

Sounds like everyone had a great evening in San Fran. Can't wait to hear about it...

black stallion

Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Captain CoryCory

Apparently I Want To Hold Your Hand, Onions Make The Milk Go Bad, AMAZON and Dark Brown Teeth as well. Any idea of a setlist yet?

the ether bunny

Add The Bloated Pope and AMAZON (which I had never seen live after 20ish shows over the span of 13 years I might add).

Holy fucking wow. That was the coolest Melvins related thing that I have ever been to with one downside. They were selling a 7", limited to FIVE, and the guy in front of me bought the last one. Any idea of what this could have been?

They started the night with the MC asking Bob Hannam questions and went straight into the acoustic set. I missed Buzz's solo tour, and this kind of made up for it on my end... It was interesting to hear some of that solo material played with a full band, and even more interesting to hear renditions of some of their best songs played with an acoustic twist. I'm not gonna lie - I feel really privileged to have been in this crowd of maybe, MAYBE 200 people who got to witness this. The band quipped with each other in between songs, and I don't think I've ever seen them look like they were having that much genuine fun while performing. My favorite quote from that set:

Buzz - "This is really hard. I don't have a bunch of amps to hide behind!"

The movie is fucking phenomenal you guys. Bob and Ryan took a ton of footage and made something extremely cohesive. They digested hours of film into a two hour long movie, (that I would have been happy to see more of) and told the story of a band that's been working harder than any others out there for more than 30 years now. They got Dale's mom and fucking Melvin himself to be in it. Matt Lukin was fucking hilarious. Bob mentioned that they are putting together the packaging and the bonus features for the DVD and they're shooting for an April release. Greatness takes time folks, it will be worth the wait.

The Q&A with the film makers and the band at the end of the film led to some really great stories including Ace Frehley being out of his mind, and Paul Leary being an eccentric Texan who smokes an amazing amount of weed. (with great impressions to boot!) The crowd asked some *really* awkward hard to answer questions, and Bob, Ryan, and the band all handled these with absolute finesse.

I'm floored, dudes. Last night was fucking incredible.
he was a mongoloid.

Idlehanz

Thanks for coming and for the nice write up!

The record was the Pop-O-Pies covers.

Set was

Dark Brown Teeth
Hag Me
Onions
AMAZON
Bloated Pope
I Wanna Hold Your Hand
The Kicking Machine
Deuce

glen

"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

(PAUL)

Quote from: glen on February 20, 2017, 08:34:32 AM
Hag Me acoustic...  what witchcraft is this?

Well Buzz did do Boris on those acoustic shows, so anything is possible...
Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

glen

I haven't heard this acoustic yet but Hag Me is a masterpiece in feedback.     
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.

GiveMe45

One of my favorite all time songs.  Would love to see an acoustic version

buddy holiday

maybe this semi-acoustic set is something that can still be added to the dvd extras?  8-[

GrimReaper

I'm hoping he adds the dinner scene at Dale's Mom's house. I heard the roast beef was cooked to perfection.

glen

Quote from: GiveMe45 on February 21, 2017, 06:48:02 PM
One of my favorite all time songs.  Would love to see an acoustic version

this.

I'm struggling to imagine.

deatheats

Quote from: GrimReaper on February 22, 2017, 04:22:44 AM
I'm hoping he adds the dinner scene at Dale's Mom's house. I heard the roast beef was cooked to perfection.

I've heard from some reliable sources that Dale makes a mean breakfast burrito.  Perhaps a cookbook is in order?  :lol:

von grip

"im ol' south!"