Started by blewis, April 06, 2017, 11:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bUTTHOLEmAN

if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

some guy

That's neither here Nora there

black stallion

Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Stonergrunge

Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on July 06, 2017, 10:29:06 PM
You can now hear the album for yourselves.

https://melvinsofficial.bandcamp.com/album/a-walk-with-love-death

YES, I knew there was going to be an official streaming... well, it's not exactly like they did with the last two albums but bandcamp is even better than soundcloud.

The first two songs have a clear Bootlicker vibe... Nice.
cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love.
Foot fetishism means love, because, it's the magic of feet odor... Long live depravation.

jules

The Guardian review:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/jul/06/melvins-a-walk-with-love-and-death-review-ipeacac

Also:

Your Amazon.co.uk order has been dispatched

That's the first time I can remember Amazon dispatching a Melvins record on the release date. Usually they postpone it a couple of weeks.

Captain CoryCory

Glancing through the stream now. Right off the bat "Cardboro Negro" reminds me a lot of "Foaming" and I agree on the Bootlicker vibes for the opening, an overall more poppy outing compared to earlier works.

Well we finally got Prick 2 with the "Love" disc and what better way to sneak it in as a second disc to an album. I do dig "Scooba" to bits, though!

Buying it today if I can find it at the local shops and curious at least.

AxelFoley

Done with the first side for now. Not bad at all, I have to admit. Though it doesn't sound too far removed from their other recent releases, I dig the song structures a lot. Also cool to get Euthanasia finally on a proper album release, love the atmospheric background guitar noises in it at the middle break.

Does anyone else think that Buzz sounds better these days when he's singing in a more clear style w/ less shouting as in Sober-delic or in Edgar the Elephant? Reminds me of the Stoner Witch / Stag as well as the Bootlicker days, as has been noted before.

Pound4abrown

I really like the Death disc, solid 38mins of Melvins.
Love is going to take some time though heh heh what a staggering cacophony of sound and nonsense.

Pound4abrown

Quote from: Captain CoryCory on July 07, 2017, 06:05:45 AM
I do dig "Scooba" to bits, though!

I kinda wish they sandwiched this between Christ Hammer and Cactus Party on the Death disc.

Fureon Nectarmoon

Digging the second disc much more to be honest. Prick 2? Hehe. The Death disc unfortunately I felt kinda played it too safe. I'm not into the classic / early psych rock vibes so that's another bummer for me (sorry, Steven). And unfortunately I noticed some melodies almost repeating the other tunes, even within the same album - too obviously not to be bothered. Frankly, I'm hoping that the next bassist will make a major stir in the Melvs' sound.

UPD: On second listen, Black Hearth's sound is rather unusual. I have to take a few more listens to the disc.

Melvy

Quote from: AxelFoley on July 07, 2017, 07:13:26 AM
Does anyone else think that Buzz sounds better these days when he's singing in a more clear style w/ less shouting as in Sober-delic or in Edgar the Elephant?

I've always thought this.

Tobias

Listening to the vinyl version now. The Love (pink vinyl) is actually Death and reverse. Am I missing something? I thought I was listening to Love even on the vinyl it says it's the Love album then Euthanasia came on. Is Live actually Death and Death actually Love?
Have you ever only eaten what's alive?

Chief Ten Beers

Got the CDs in the mail today. Fucking awesome. Death is great, didn't want it to end. Just got through Love now, quality entertainment! It reminds me more of Prick than COD, in that there is a good mix of some guitar/bass/drum jams and dialog pieces, where as most of COD is more like soundscapes of electronic bleeps & blips. Artwork is beautiful. Time to order up the vinyl now.

Some of you people are nuts, or should just move on, critiquing this for the usual reasons - "where's H.A.T. or Maggot pt 2?", "When's Buzz gonna go back and clone his exact guitar tone from 1991?" :lol: On first listen I don't think this is a re-tread or "on auto-pilot" mission at all. It's pure Melvins and doesn't sound like the last Melvins album or the one before that.
I really hope Buzz/Dale do not read the reviews here, if so they must not think much of this place. :facepalm:

bUTTHOLEmAN

Quote from: Tobias on July 07, 2017, 06:51:51 PM
Listening to the vinyl version now. The Love (pink vinyl) is actually Death and reverse. Am I missing something? I thought I was listening to Love even on the vinyl it says it's the Love album then Euthanasia came on. Is Live actually Death and Death actually Love?
Yep, other people are reporting this as well (Love=Death and Death=Love).
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

Pound4abrown

Got 3 spins on both discs and I have fallen in love with Death.
Love has a bit more staying power than I had originally thought.