A Walk With Love and Death

Started by Afterbirthmilkshake, April 24, 2017, 06:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

))))((((

Quote from: lust on November 16, 2017, 03:16:38 PM
I can't get "What's Wrong With You" out of my head.
I can't get 'What's Wrong With You' off the tracklisting. Try as i might!

lust

Quote from: ))))(((( on November 16, 2017, 05:30:50 PM
Quote from: ))))(((( on November 16, 2017, 05:30:50 PM

You've got to admit it's a pretty damn catchy song. Nowhere near as good Flaming Creature or Euthanasia though.
I'm just some punk teenager.

last.fm/user/qingyuuu

))))((((

Quote from: lust on November 16, 2017, 10:02:15 PM
You've got to admit it's a pretty damn catchy song.
Yeah certainly. Im just not into that, or rather, not into that with my Melvins. Ha! "my" Melvins.

black stallion

you should check Steven's solo album if you love that song!
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

lust

Quote from: black stallion on November 17, 2017, 06:54:15 AM

you should check Steven's solo album if you love that song!

Thanks for the recommendation! I definitely will.
I'm just some punk teenager.

last.fm/user/qingyuuu

))))((((

Buddy Holiday made a good discovery of various Love moments also appearing in 'Hurray For Me Fuk You Paraquat Plus'. Quite notably the Scooba sample at the beginning and end of course!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXjQ5Pj1-KQ

Mints

Black Heath. There's a lot going on in that song. I'd love to see the parts charted out just to know how weird it really is. Dale is still very much a wizard.

))))((((

I had a listen to the album again a couple of days ago and, you know, i've come to the conclusion this record, taken as a whole, just isn't very good. It has some really cool songs like Black Heath, Soberdelic, Euthanasia and Flaming Creature but those are off set by lots of poor material. The soundtrack side combined makes it's pretty weak really. You could easily lob off 50 minutes and make a much tighter, more impressive record. This makes it a lot better in my opinion. Something more akin to what i would love to see the band do again - produce a great, solid album from front to back.

1. Black Heath
2. Soberdelic
3. Euthanasia
4. Street Level St. Paul
5. Edgar The Elephant
6. The Hidden Joice
7. Flaming Creature
8. Christ Hammer
9. Cactus Party
10. Cardboa Negro
11. Pacomia Normal

Bigval

Quote from: ))))(((( on March 04, 2018, 05:37:17 AM
I had a listen to the album again a couple of days ago and, you know, i've come to the conclusion this record, taken as a whole, just isn't very good. It has some really cool songs like Black Heath, Soberdelic, Euthanasia and Flaming Creature but those are off set by lots of poor material. The soundtrack side combined makes it's pretty weak really. You could easily lob off 50 minutes and make a much tighter, more impressive record. This makes it a lot better in my opinion. Something more akin to what i would love to see the band do again - produce a great, solid album from front to back.

1. Black Heath
2. Soberdelic
3. Euthanasia
4. Street Level St. Paul
5. Edgar The Elephant
6. The Hidden Joice
7. Flaming Creature
8. Christ Hammer
9. Cactus Party
10. Cardboa Negro
11. Pacomia Normal

I just listened to your remixed version of the album and thought it flowed pretty well. Good to get What's Wrong With You out of there (probably could've done with Christ Hammer being punted too) and the three songs you picked from disc 1 fit in well especially Pacomia Normal as the closer, that would've been a perfect Melvins album closer really.

Good job mate!

))))((((

Quote from: Bigval on March 04, 2018, 08:01:33 AM
(probably could've done with Christ Hammer being punted too)
I agree with you. That one is just about acceptable to pass inspection.

amazonAMAZON

I have a new theory about this record. Would love anybody's input.

Notice it's titled a WALK with love and death. We know Buzz's cold heart seems to be warmed mostly by a few things, and in particular his dog(s).

So how did a twenty year old b-side get revived for this album? My guess is the title, "Euthenasia."

I'm imagining the DEATH album as a eulogy for a family dog, or maybe just the first three songs?

Then the LOVE album with its bus stop sounds and playground kids and helicopters and rambling park bench conversations and meth head diatribes, all sound like what a dog might experience on a typical walk through a busy Los Angeles neighborhood. "Scooba" is that one moment of the day when the dog gets excited and chases after a toy or something or digs in the bushes. Lots of times, though, it's just psychedelic swirls and the menace of strange animals' scents in your territory. Dogs live through their nose first, and if we translate that environmental olfactory experience to audio, it might sound a lot like the soundscapes on this album.

Give it a listen and see if anything pops out at you.

Captain CoryCory

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on July 16, 2018, 03:34:30 PM
I have a new theory about this record. Would love anybody's input.

Notice it's titled a WALK with love and death. We know Buzz's cold heart seems to be warmed mostly by a few things, and in particular his dog(s).

So how did a twenty year old b-side get revived for this album? My guess is the title, "Euthenasia."

I'm imagining the DEATH album as a eulogy for a family dog, or maybe just the first three songs?

Then the LOVE album with its bus stop sounds and playground kids and helicopters and rambling park bench conversations and meth head diatribes, all sound like what a dog might experience on a typical walk through a busy Los Angeles neighborhood. "Scooba" is that one moment of the day when the dog gets excited and chases after a toy or something or digs in the bushes. Lots of times, though, it's just psychedelic swirls and the menace of strange animals' scents in your territory. Dogs live through their nose first, and if we translate that environmental olfactory experience to audio, it might sound a lot like the soundscapes on this album.

Give it a listen and see if anything pops out at you.

This made me think back to an interview where Buzz talked about having to put one of his dogs to sleep a few years back and how it was "one of the hardest things he's ever done".

))))((((

It's only a minor niggle with me, but now i kind of feel that this album should have had both of it's 2 parts as completely separate entities. Have the soundtrack be titled 'A Walk With Love & Death' on it's own and the other part with a different unrelated title. I personally think that would have been better. Release both records on the same day and that's job done.

Bigval

Quote from: ))))(((( on November 19, 2020, 07:51:47 PM
It's only a minor niggle with me, but now i kind of feel that this album should have had both of it's 2 parts as completely separate entities. Have the soundtrack be titled 'A Walk With Love & Death' on it's own and the other part with a different unrelated title. I personally think that would have been better. Release both records on the same day and that's job done.

I agree I never go back and listen to this album because my eReader thingy won't keep the two albums separate so jumbles all the songs from both discs together making the listening experience a pain. At the same time no one would buy the soundtrack album on it's own so they knew they had to 'package' it with a proper Melvins album.

))))((((

Quote from: Bigval on November 22, 2020, 01:11:11 AM
no one would buy the soundtrack album on it's own so they knew they had to 'package' it with a proper Melvins album.
That is probably what actually happened now you mention it. And i guess it wouldn't have been a big seller on it's own outside of the more diehard Melvins fans. Although i still think presented as it's own thing that (as a statement of intent at least) that it would have served the record itself better. That distinction being beneficial.