Author Topic: Me And The Melvins : An Entirely True Story  (Read 943 times)

Online black stallion

• MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Offline joelk

• melvins is gay
    • View Profile
Re: Me And The Melvins : An Entirely True Story
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 12:44:36 PM »
Very cool story!

Offline Fureon Nectarmoon

• gardening gloves
  • RAIN-BOOOOOOW!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 04:21:54 AM »
Now I can finally make out what one of the crossed out songs from Stag was, it's Fick Fader!
What's the other one, though?...
12 Singles suggests Specimen was cut from Stag last minute, but the writing seems to say... "Neptune"?
Does anyone know anything about this?

Offline PepsiMike

• gardening gloves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 01:14:19 PM »
My friend sold him a copy of Lysol.

• gardening gloves
  • RAIN-BOOOOOOW!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 12:20:04 PM »
Now I can finally make out what one of the crossed out songs from Stag was, it's Fick Fader!
12 Singles suggests Specimen was cut from Stag last minute, but the writing seems to say... "Neptune"?
Anybody?

Offline jules

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • A bad mouth betrays a bad mind
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 04:26:19 AM »
Anybody?
Yeah, it's Neptune. Fick Fader and Neptune are rewritten in the column to the right...
Vote for Dead Mike

• gardening gloves
  • RAIN-BOOOOOOW!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 08:49:08 AM »
I wonder what could that be? A working name for Specimen or an unreleased tune that we'll never hear?

Offline Dumpster D

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • Apologize; To lay foundation for further offence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 08:13:34 PM »
Could very well be, or it was re-titled as something else and released on a later album or as a single or hmm, but yeah I'd like to believe it will one day be put out like on some anthology.

Steve albini was talking about how analog anniversary releases you can go back to the original tapes and get the cuts off that didn't go on the album mastered and still use them while on early digital formats the program licenses have all expired by then what with upgrading and software ect...so those sessions are often lost for good...whereas analog tape will last indefinitely as long as the tape is stored properly and not degraded poorly.

I'd like to believe there is money in the band's savings account now to fully remaster these things and make them sound bigger and better than the original releases but again it's all open to subjection what's best...I'm sure there is a demand for it.

I personally am counting the days till honky comes back out on tape and vinyl...but I'm a crazy person, what I wish has no basis in reality.

I wish they would do more stuff like whats on Honky but that would make the album less of a one off...and that is partly what makes it such a special album.

PS> Specimen has always been one of my favs because it so well captured the LIVE huge booming sound of Dale's drums and Just the blistering live sound the band had back in the mid 90s, it's sounds like the band borrowed Fudge tunnels effects for the day while they were set up at some huge Stage with all everything running through the whole PA system and Just Recorded a Huge Jam before they played a show instead of Doing like some regular sound Check....You can Just hear the Breakup and distortion in the mix coming through like its on some mammoth stage setup. It's a HUGE incredible sound, It makes me feel like I'm underwater it sounds so loud...only except a real concert have I heard sound like that..and that is usually because the Sound guy is deafer than two deaf donkeys and has the bass cranked up until it's more than obvious the low end is too hot, either that or the Subs have already been blown.

By the way, I'm not positive but that Scotch 3M master is not back coated tape. it's OLD like from the early 70's, any Scotch 3M I have in my collection that is a ten inch size reel is usually showing definite signs of binder failure...so I wonder if that is Just the box and not the actual tape itself. The Ampex 456 forumla tape should also be completely knackered with what is known as Sticky Shed syndrome, they sold their company to Quantegy in the mid-late 80's because they were going bankrupt because they had produced tape that had all gone bad before it's time and I believe Quantegy is now under the name ATR and is the last company still producing and fabricating analog Tape in the US. Surprised they didn't use AGFA tape (BASF, EMTEC) tape...so I'm willing to bet that is not the actual matching tape in those boxes, it's more likely scotch tape, I wonder why I don't see more Grand master gold tape being used, but even now that stuff is rare and pricey. Those tape boxes are like sponges for moisture, you can see the bubbling up Just above the label on the middle tape from an older label, the tape had been re-used I'm sure many times beforehand, usually where mold likes to grow is on the labels, and I can smell those tapes from here, just like an old record collection, I had to use hydrogen peroxide on mine and leave them open to air out and restore them with fresh air because usually the air trapped inside the boxes is still full of humidity, So I want to bet that the tape was replaced for these sessions and the original tape dumped, and the boxes and flanges have been recycled...it would really be something to hear these straight off the sound board by god!
WOW, sounds like shit!

Offline meezer

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • trashin merch... and I am finished!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 09:26:26 PM »
You know Mark D's 2nd and 3rd album are chock full of Honky type stuff right?
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/gone-his-wife
https://s

Offline Dumpster D

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • Apologize; To lay foundation for further offence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 09:28:31 PM »
No, Because I didn't know he has that many Albums out.  :lol:

nobody tells me nuthin'

WOW, sounds like shit!

Offline meezer

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • trashin merch... and I am finished!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 09:30:12 PM »
No, Because I didn't know he has that many Albums out.  :lol:

nobody tells me nuthin'
I'll pm you some stuff.

"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/gone-his-wife
https://s