Author Topic: Headliner's, Louisville, KY 8/11/2017  (Read 426 times)

Offline Captain CoryCory

• Has a copy of the vinney/buzzo interview
  • If promises were bones, I'd be Evil Kenevil.
    • View Profile
    • The Doodlehound
Headliner's, Louisville, KY 8/11/2017
« on: August 11, 2017, 10:52:24 PM »
Fuck me, that was an epic performance from start to finish! Rather than a full review here's a collective of thoughts and highlights.

- Merch table had one shirt, not much Walsby art set up. Joe and Steven EPS, Dale's solo album, The Crystal Fairy single the double cassette and some screen-printed CDs were available. I bought the Dale LP and it was sold out not even ten minutes later.

- I'll be the devil's advocate on this one. Spotlights weren't really my thing though they had moments of brilliance. Something about their sound felt disconnected, maybe it was the band rocking out to the backdrop of a drum machine? Probably my least favorite Melvins opener IMO, a couple friends really didn't care for them.

- Melvins get on about 10:15 and holy shit the first five songs scorched with energy! Never heard them do Sacrifice or Oven so that was wicked cool. Saviour Machine felt like a goofy break. Noticed a really packed crowd and the first time in a LONG time Headliner's had the balcony open.

- It's Shoved is where things got a bit rowdy with a few guys starting a big mosh pit and one particularly fun fellow punching people until he was promptly thrown out. Also the only time ever I've seen people mosh to a Beatles song.

- The trilogy of Death tunes served as a perfect cool break before an absolute storm of Buzzo heaviness, Steven's wild rockstar jamming and Dale Crover being the best fucking drummer of all time.  Seriously those solos before Onions and the sheer power he exudes even in his late forties in incredible. The whole band was fire but Dale was like a series of active volcanoes going off all at once tonight.

- Spotlights joined the band for the Lysol closer with Hung Bunny barely resembling the studio version, topped with Steven improvising lyrics for the song! Just a constant array of sixteen killer songs performed in 75 minutes.

Overall my 11th time witnessing the Melvins was a fantastic one as always and I can't wait to see what they do next.

Online vince furnier

• melvins is gay
  • see my only mind explode, when I've gone insane!
    • View Profile
Re: Headliner's, Louisville, KY 8/11/2017
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 09:06:02 AM »
how many cassettes are left? Dumpster D needs one.

Cool review.

also, just learning about this drummer/ laptop situation from Spotlights is disappointing. I'm hearing that some shows they have a drummer, others, they don't. This is your chance to impress a good fan base. don't do the laptop thing.  :lol:
Welcome to my Nightmare!

"uh no, but we do know that meezer is vince furnier" - brian

Offline Captain CoryCory

• Has a copy of the vinney/buzzo interview
  • If promises were bones, I'd be Evil Kenevil.
    • View Profile
    • The Doodlehound
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 10:42:43 AM »
Not sure how many cassettes were left but they were 40 bux at the Louisville show.

Offline Idlehanz

• Global Moderator
  • MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
    • The Colossus Of Destiny: A Melvins Tale
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 02:00:16 PM »

also, just learning about this drummer/ laptop situation from Spotlights is disappointing. I'm hearing that some shows they have a drummer, others, they don't. This is your chance to impress a good fan base. don't do the laptop thing.  :lol:

The drummer (Chris) had prior commitments.  He'll be back with them soon I think.

Offline Topaz

• Fears SNIVLEM
  • Denigrater
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 05:32:46 PM »

The drummer (Chris) had prior commitments.  He'll be back with them soon I think.

Oh really? That's good to know. I liked Spotlights, but I wasn't keen on the whole drum machine thing.

Online black stallion

• MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 10:30:20 AM »
only Joe Preston can use a drum machine and be totally badass
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Offline jules

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • A bad mouth betrays a bad mind
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 10:48:39 AM »
And Justin Broadrick.
Dead Mike for President

Offline ))))((((

• gardening gloves
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 10:56:03 AM »
...or Big Black!

...or Meshuggah when recording in the studio!

Online black stallion

• MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 12:30:06 PM »
And Justin Broadrick.

good call buddy! Godflesh are amazing
Charmicarmicat:Bastards