Band-inspired band names

Started by Mints, March 04, 2012, 04:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mints

Personally, I find it a bit lazy and boring to name your band after another band (although I guess it's pretty flattering). Boris is a great song and I like the band just fine, but surely they could've come up with something else. I think there's a band out right now called Louder Than Love. I like that album and all but that is just lame.

***** Fuck, I just remembered Halo of Flies. I smell a banning! Don't do it, Haze - I love the band and that ain't no heartfelt shit. *****

Anyway, there's some band called 2:54 that I hadn't heard of and still know nothing about. I guess I'll look them up after this. Here's a quote from an article in The Guardian:

The band name comes from the exact point in the 2006 Melvins track A History Of Bad Men where according to Hannah the bassline becomes both "doomy and dreamy". It's fitting, marking the point where two very different styles come together.

I suppose that's as good a reason as any to pay homage to something with a title. Any other band names you can think of that come from another band? Keeping it Melvins-related, I would have to guess Buzz-Oven but I have no idea what they're all about.

Conor

My friends had a band called The Bit years ago. But this was in a town where not many people knew the Melvins and they always acknowledged it if they were asked. So I don't think there's any harm in that really.
I'm going to pray for you all now.

dead mike

My favorite of these is REO Speed Dealer, but it's my understanding that their namesake forced them by threat of legal action to change their name.
Can you all shut your damn cocks for one second? Music is the only thing that's real in this queef world of dildo ass chodes.

- hemispheres

DC

http://www.myspace.com/blacksantasound

"I'd asked if i could play drums for Black Santa a while back, but they said they didn't want one and that Foo Fighters suck and that if i had reformed SCREAM then maybe they would've thought about it." - Dave Grohl on druming for Black Santa

Mints

Quote from: Conor on March 04, 2012, 04:26:09 PM
My friends had a band called The Bit years ago. But this was in a town where not many people knew the Melvins and they always acknowledged it if they were asked. So I don't think there's any harm in that really.

There's no harm in it at all. No offense intended. I probably should've said "it's not for me" instead of suggesting that it was lame.

Having said that, I maintain that Louder Than Love is a bad, bad name for a band.

Conor

Yeah, that's a really bad name for a band, alright. I wouldn't even call a straight-up Soundgarden tribute that. There's tens of better names that they could've chosen as a nod to them if they're influenced by the Kights of Soudtable. Yeah, The Bit were a great band. They used to play their namesake and Copache as well, or so I believe.
I'm going to pray for you all now.

Kolonel Kurtz Kobain

Quote from: DC (the dickman) Hart on March 04, 2012, 06:45:01 PM
http://www.myspace.com/blacksantasound

"I'd asked if i could play drums for Black Santa a while back, but they said they didn't want one and that Foo Fighters suck and that if i had reformed SCREAM then maybe they would've thought about it." - Dave Grohl on druming for Black Santa

Black Santa is right: Foo Fighters suck a bundle of dicks.
I'd rather be at Dodger Stadium...

jules

I was backstage at the Oslo opera a couple of weeks ago

8) ,  by the way )

and met a guy there who works on the sets. He has a band called The Shevils. Yep, after the Melvins.

A day earlier, in a punk bar called Enga opposite where I was staying, the owner told me her husband's best friend just had a kid they called Melvin. Yep, after the Melvins. Oslo's full of nut-jobs.

vince furnier

Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

))))((((

The only one that springs to mind (other than Boris) is Radiohead. Who are named after a Talking Heads song.