Author Topic: Melvins in 2018  (Read 8519 times)

Online meezer

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • MEAT CLOWN!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: Melvins in 2018
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2017, 02:01:18 PM »
Speaking of buttholes, what's the status on Paul Leary? Is he ever doing anything with the boys again? Was he ever 'in' the band to begin with? I'd say he's just filling DSS and Adam Jones' roles before him as 'extra sorta-but-not-really Melvin' except that Hold It In put him up there proudly with the other guys. Then at the same time a lot of music rags seem to insist on crediting Hold It In as a "Melvins/Butthole Surfers" collab.
Read the press from back then. He was on the album cover, credited as the producer, credited as writing 4 of the 12 songs. Buzz and Dale said he was a member.
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/pallas-both-the-price-and-reward-for-incarnation-meezerpocalypse-remix

Offline ))))((((

• godfather of grunge
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2017, 04:14:38 AM »
Buzz and Dale said he was a member.
Despite what the band might say, i definitely don't consider Leary a Melvin. Okay he worked with the band on a record but so does Toshi. For me unless a person is performing on stage - then they are not in the band. Same goes for me with how Josh Graham used to be considered to be in Neurosis while he only did the behind band projections. To me that isn't being in the band. I do however consider Adam Jones and David Scott Stone as, albeit briefly, Melvins.

Offline DToxico

• INDEEEEEED
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2017, 09:34:05 AM »
Despite what the band might say, i definitely don't consider Leary a Melvin. Okay he worked with the band on a record but so does Toshi. For me unless a person is performing on stage - then they are not in the band. Same goes for me with how Josh Graham used to be considered to be in Neurosis while he only did the behind band projections. To me that isn't being in the band. I do however consider Adam Jones and David Scott Stone as, albeit briefly, Melvins.

RE: Neurosis, that also reminds me of how Rob Sheridan gets credited as a member of How to Destroy Angels because he designs the album art and operates the stage visuals. Why not make Mackie and Walsby Melvins too?

Offline GiveMe45

• ♥'s Butt Drugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2017, 03:50:17 PM »
When Pete Inc did visuals for Neurosis before Josh they very much considered him part of the band

Offline aeustin

• knows moss
  • Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2017, 05:49:01 PM »
When Pete Inc did visuals for Neurosis before Josh they very much considered him part of the band
Was he the one that always played the R. Budd Dwyer video in the background?
Wake up to yourself before you die
The truth is hard but it's easy to lie

Offline johnnyg

• gardening gloves
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2017, 06:50:42 PM »

As a side note, I think the neurosis thing is sort of a Crass homage. Mick Duffield got credited as a band member for projecting movies duirng performances and I believe this is the first instance of a "visual" guy being credited as part of an "audio" band- I could be wrong on that, though.

Online meezer

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • MEAT CLOWN!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2017, 08:19:12 PM »
Monster Magnet always credited Tim Cronin (a.v.) as a part of the band (but had started as the drummer and sometimes singer). Same with Rollins Band and their sound guy, Theo Van Rock. It was in the CDs for both bands.
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/pallas-both-the-price-and-reward-for-incarnation-meezerpocalypse-remix

Offline (the) Razor

• Has a copy of the vinney/buzzo interview
  • Told you girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2017, 01:13:20 AM »
I wonder why Tweak Bird never did anything with Melvins*. Maybe because it was Big Business at the time instead of the rotating lineup as of now.

Still, it's one collaboration is like to see. Not sure what Ashton would do though.

*Apart from the queen cover. Was talking more about a proper collaboration with that baritone!
Don't click this

Offline ))))((((

• godfather of grunge
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2017, 04:29:59 AM »
*Apart from the queen cover.
Which was, is and shall forever be fucking horrible!!

Offline BERZERKER

• MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2017, 05:58:59 AM »
*Apart from the queen cover.
Which was, is and shall forever be fucking horrible!!

:lol:

Why shall you always hate on nice things, Ian?

Offline ))))((((

• godfather of grunge
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2017, 06:12:07 AM »
Why shall you always hate on nice things, Ian?
That's a good question actually. I hadn't thought about that connection before. I will go so far to say that i DO like nice things - nice food, nice people, nice design but i definitely don't like niceness (however one might perceive that) in the arts. Be it music, film or otherwise. Speaking generally it just doesn't appeal to me. There's no light and shade, no push and pull. Just sweet and sugary prettiness.

Offline amazonAMAZON

• gardening gloves
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2018, 03:24:29 PM »
One of the best things about Steven seems to be his work ethic. We could see seriously prolific times ahead. If the 'history of rock' project at all includes the cover of a cover of the Beatles "I Want to Hold Your Hand" they've been performing, then by all means give me an album of that.
"Get up, open the curtains and smell the Melvins." -jules

Offline linoleum blownapart

• shit talking thieves
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2018, 07:05:19 PM »
a cover of the Beatles "I Want to Hold Your Hand" they've been performing, then by all means give me an album of that.
It has been in “the can” for a year now.  Hope it finally comes out this spring with the other 7 songs (three more cover and four originals).  The Rock smells a tour in the making....and pancakes.
thrower of the bong water balloons

Offline echidna

• former bassist
  • Checking in, and engaging.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2018, 01:01:39 PM »
Curious if we will see Jared and Coady back in the Melvins next year, been awhile

Praying for this nightly....

Offline PepsiMike

• knows moss
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2018, 03:59:26 PM »
Curious if we will see Jared and Coady back in the Melvins next year, been awhile

Praying for this nightly....
I didn't know that spiny anteaters 🐜 could pray.