Melvins in 2018

Started by bUTTHOLEmAN, December 09, 2017, 03:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nizamark

Alex's Bar is such a great (ie small) venue.

(PAUL)

I'm guessing the stuff Sylvia Massy has been recording is that history of music thing, since the bits that have been teased are Leeech and Wit Yo Heart Not Yo Hands and that will probably see the light of day soon.
Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

))))((((

Quote from: (PAUL) on December 11, 2017, 03:50:00 PM
I'm guessing the stuff Sylvia Massy has been recording is that history of music thing, since the bits that have been teased are Leeech and Wit Yo Heart Not Yo Hands and that will probably see the light of day soon.
That's what i think but then again why would the band go out of their way to record with her when they already have their own studio and an effective, dependable thing with Toshi? Im sure Buzz and co would just continue to roll with that. So im thinking this is something a bit more minor than a full-length. Maybe a one off release like The Bulls & The Bees was with Scion or some other deal. The two songs might just end up as a single or an EP.

Alex-

Curious if we will see Jared and Coady back in the Melvins next year, been awhile

PepsiMike

Quote from: Alex- on December 12, 2017, 08:41:08 AM
Curious if we will see Jared and Coady back in the Melvins next year, been awhile
noooope

lust

I hope they come to Fresno again!!! Being able to see the band after three years of endlessly reading and listening to anything that had their name on it is easily in my top ten life experiences.

The funniest part about the whole experience is that my dad told me about how you can usually meet the band behind the venue before the show, and even though I thought the idea was a little weird at the time, I decided I'd go through with it, because it may be my only chance! We drove around a bit and checked behind the venue here and there, but had no luck. I was sort of bummed, but I didn't have high expectations, so I decided that me and my dad should just check out the nearby record shops or grab a bite to eat before we got in line. As we drove away, out of the corner of my eye I saw the unmistakable hair of the man himself, Buzzo, walking into a Mexican restaurant about five or six buildings down from the venue. Out of shock and excitement I uttered the most butchered sounding "Oh my gosh!" you'd ever heard. My dad asked if I wanted to go and meet them but I felt like I might bother them if I were to intrude on their meal. My dad told me they would probably be waiting for their food by the time we pulled over and got in there and it would be no trouble, so I had no choice but to agree. I walked into the restaurant, which was small and empty, so it was me, my dad, Buzz, Dale and Steve. I asked my dad what I should say and he said "just go for it!" I got nervous and did probably the worst thing I could do in that moment, I said "Hey... Buzz!" He turned around, clearly confused as to where the mysterious voice was coming from, but as soon as he turned around, he greeted me with a warm smile and stuck his hand out. I told him I was a big fan and he asked if I was coming to see the show that night. I said yes and thanked him for all the great music. I was so nervous at that point that I just ended the conversation there and didn't even get a chance to speak to Dale, the man who inspired me to pull out my fathers dusty old drum set and go to town. We walked out of the restaurant and checked out a few record shops, then I met up with my buddies and waited in line while my dad had a few drinks in the bar one building over. It was a great show despite an obviously drunk woman getting pulled out of the venue right next to me, and some idiot running up on stage and tripping over Steve's mic. I was right up front and directly below Buzz. To give an idea of how close I was, I felt the sweat from his hand hit my face a few times.
I'm just some punk teenager.

last.fm/user/qingyuuu

John Schuller

Quote from: lust on December 15, 2017, 01:00:13 PM
I hope they come to Fresno again!!! Being able to see the band after three years of endlessly reading and listening to anything that had their name on it is easily in my top ten life experiences.

The funniest part about the whole experience is that my dad told me about how you can usually meet the band behind the venue before the show, and even though I thought the idea was a little weird at the time, I decided I'd go through with it, because it may be my only chance! We drove around a bit and checked behind the venue here and there, but had no luck. I was sort of bummed, but I didn't have high expectations, so I decided that me and my dad should just check out the nearby record shops or grab a bite to eat before we got in line. As we drove away, out of the corner of my eye I saw the unmistakable hair of the man himself, Buzzo, walking into a Mexican restaurant about five or six buildings down from the venue. Out of shock and excitement I uttered the most butchered sounding "Oh my gosh!" you'd ever heard. My dad asked if I wanted to go and meet them but I felt like I might bother them if I were to intrude on their meal. My dad told me they would probably be waiting for their food by the time we pulled over and got in there and it would be no trouble, so I had no choice but to agree. I walked into the restaurant, which was small and empty, so it was me, my dad, Buzz, Dale and Steve. I asked my dad what I should say and he said "just go for it!" I got nervous and did probably the worst thing I could do in that moment, I said "Hey... Buzz!" He turned around, clearly confused as to where the mysterious voice was coming from, but as soon as he turned around, he greeted me with a warm smile and stuck his hand out. I told him I was a big fan and he asked if I was coming to see the show that night. I said yes and thanked him for all the great music. I was so nervous at that point that I just ended the conversation there and didn't even get a chance to speak to Dale, the man who inspired me to pull out my fathers dusty old drum set and go to town. We walked out of the restaurant and checked out a few record shops, then I met up with my buddies and waited in line while my dad had a few drinks in the bar one building over. It was a great show despite an obviously drunk woman getting pulled out of the venue right next to me, and some idiot running up on stage and tripping over Steve's mic. I was right up front and directly below Buzz. To give an idea of how close I was, I felt the sweat from his hand hit my face a few times.

Great story - one of the great things about the Melvins is that each and every Melvin is a genuinely nice person. I remember when I was a kid, maybe age 14 in maybe 1987? I was at the Tacoma Mall in Tacoma Washington with my Dad doing some shopping. Low and behold, the Melvins must have stopped on their way from Montesano to Seattle to get something to eat, kill time, shop or just fuck around. But there they were walking in the other direction in the mall, Buzz, Matt and Dale. I kind of freaked out to my Dad about it. I think he thought it was funny - he told me that they don't look like rock stars. He had no idea that they were to me!

some guy

redd kross rule you dopes
That's neither here Nora there

black stallion

Charmicarmicat:Bastards

dirtmerchant

Quote from: some guy on December 16, 2017, 10:53:25 AM
redd kross rule you dopes

Keep your Redd Kross out of my Melvins.

DeeSonyaChin

John Schuller

I want MORE Redd Kross in my Melvins! Bring Jeff McDonald into the fold and all will be complete!

Captain CoryCory

Quote from: sadcorps on December 17, 2017, 01:50:16 AM
I want MORE Redd Kross in my Melvins! Bring Jeff McDonald into the fold and all will be complete!

That would be awesome. Wishful thinking but I'd love to see another album with Pinkus but with Gibby Haynes throwing down the goods on a few tracks.

John Schuller

Quote from: Captain CoryCory on December 17, 2017, 12:54:50 PM
Quote from: sadcorps on December 17, 2017, 01:50:16 AM

That would be awesome. Wishful thinking but I'd love to see another album with Pinkus but with Gibby Haynes throwing down the goods on a few tracks.

That would be stellar.

DToxico

Speaking of buttholes, what's the status on Paul Leary? Is he ever doing anything with the boys again? Was he ever 'in' the band to begin with? I'd say he's just filling DSS and Adam Jones' roles before him as 'extra sorta-but-not-really Melvin' except that Hold It In put him up there proudly with the other guys. Then at the same time a lot of music rags seem to insist on crediting Hold It In as a "Melvins/Butthole Surfers" collab.