Author Topic: Pinkus Abortion Technician  (Read 36620 times)

Offline GrimReaper

• MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Pinkus Abortion Technician
« Reply #405 on: June 11, 2018, 06:22:57 AM »

Offline johnnyg

• gardening gloves
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: June 11, 2018, 07:58:37 AM »
This might not make any sense, but PAT is one of the most "playable" Melvins lps to date, I think. It's not in my top 5 (though I really do dig it), but if I want to listen to Lysol or Pigs of the Roman Empire, I kind of have to be in the exact mood for those albums, even though they are some of my very favorites. For PAT, I can just throw it on while driving and really enjoy it, no matter my current mindset. I also like how it is really shortly and speedy. It's kind of just a great, straight up rock record.

Offline ))))((((

• H.F.S.P.R.!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: June 11, 2018, 10:07:51 AM »
This might not make any sense, but PAT is one of the most "playable" Melvins lps to date, I think. It's not in my top 5 (though I really do dig it), but if I want to listen to Lysol or Pigs of the Roman Empire, I kind of have to be in the exact mood for those albums, even though they are some of my very favorites. For PAT, I can just throw it on while driving and really enjoy it, no matter my current mindset. I also like how it is really shortly and speedy. It's kind of just a great, straight up rock record.
I know what you mean. It's way more immediate than many Melvins albums and like you say, a much easier listen.

Offline amazonAMAZON

• knows moss
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 12, 2018, 11:28:01 PM »
Yep one if the most fun albums start to finish. From the first sounds of forgotten lyrics to the last grinding beats of graveyard it sounds like it was fun to make and none of that was lost in the finished product.
"Get up, open the curtains and smell the Melvins." -jules

Offline Pringles

• merch vulture
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 28, 2018, 12:44:27 PM »
Don't forget to breath is growing on me.

That weird solo at 5:00 is something to behold.

It's like straight out of a 1960's stoner album, Children of the Mushroom, Iron Butterfly or Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Luck is a residue of design

Offline bUTTHOLEmAN

• Global Moderator
  • MITROWSKI!!!
  • Hang Ten Brah
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 05, 2018, 03:50:37 PM »
Five more variants coming soon.
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

Offline DToxico

• INDEEEEEED
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 06, 2018, 07:38:20 AM »
People complain about them going full-on comic publisher with all the limited variant covers but I think it's a pretty cool business model that lets them connect more directly with the fans in a way. Why not keep doing it if people are willing to pay?

Offline bUTTHOLEmAN

• Global Moderator
  • MITROWSKI!!!
  • Hang Ten Brah
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 06, 2018, 07:43:12 AM »
It definitely reminds you of the comic book/variant cover phenomenon of the 90s.  The big question is, how long are people going to keep buying? Especially the variant collectors?

kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

Offline johnnyg

• gardening gloves
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 06, 2018, 08:01:47 AM »
It definitely reminds you of the comic book/variant cover phenomenon of the 90s.  The big question is, how long are people going to keep buying? Especially the variant collectors?

You make a good point. If you remember, when they first started releasing the letter presses/haze editions, things would go for crazy money on ebay/discogs -3,4,5 times the "sticker price". Now, they sell for just a little more than the price at the show. I think Melvins have basically found the "market price" and are charging that. I'm all for it so long as the fancy editions are nice pieces of art- which they seem to be some 10 years on. And, for the most part, everything is available as the standard $12 cd, too.

As for comic variants, one difference I see is that you could potentially collect all comic cover variants- there's basically no way someone could collect every Melvin variant unless he was not just rich, but REALLY rich. In a way, I'm glad that this happened. When they first started doing rare stuff around 2008, I was trying to get one of everything. Now that this is no longer a possibility, I'm happy to just get the stuff I think is really cool if I can get it. Honestly, it has relieved stress on my wallet and made it less of a "box ticking" affair and more of a fun collecting type thing.

Offline bUTTHOLEmAN

• Global Moderator
  • MITROWSKI!!!
  • Hang Ten Brah
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 06, 2018, 09:25:09 AM »
Total PAT variants:
1/ orange vinyl/ edition 100
2/ black specks /edition 100
3/ yellow /edition 100
4/ black-yellow /edition 100
5/ white black specks /edition 100
6/ test press /edition 5
7/ first cover variant /edition 30
8/ mackie letterpress AP /edition 5
9/ pinwheel green /edition 200
10/ tour Haze cover (blackish vinyl) / edition ?
11/ Haze art variant gatefold /edition 100
12/ Mackie letterpress (blackish vinyl) /edition 22

kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes

Offline amazonAMAZON

• knows moss
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 06, 2018, 09:27:54 AM »
Eh... I'd say just in vinyl b-sides there's a whole two albums worth that has never seen a CD. The HAT b-sides, the Sausages b-sides, Sawed Off, With Yo Heart single, Love Canal, Pigskin, Alleged
"Get up, open the curtains and smell the Melvins." -jules

Online jules

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • A bad mouth betrays a bad mind
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 06, 2018, 10:26:19 AM »
Total PAT variants:
3/ yellow /edition 100
6/ test press /edition 5

First person to get all the variants wins.
'Anything doused in any kind of curry is great.'  -  spunkmonkey

'Life is silly. The appropriate response is laughter.' - amazonAMAZON

'Don't think I can do doublemint vinyl.' - Brooklyns Finest PoonTang

Offline ))))((((

• H.F.S.P.R.!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 06, 2018, 10:58:13 AM »
there's basically no way someone could collect every Melvin variant unless he was not just rich, but REALLY rich.
But why even bother though? Who is anyone going to impress just because they have all the Melvins merch. Who is really going to care that a person has every single obscure thing from a band that most people don't even know exist? In some ways i understand the appeal and why someone would like to own such, but in other ways it seems utterly foolish.

Offline johnnyg

• gardening gloves
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 06, 2018, 11:23:30 AM »
there's basically no way someone could collect every Melvin variant unless he was not just rich, but REALLY rich.
But why even bother though? Who is anyone going to impress just because they have all the Melvins merch. Who is really going to care that a person has every single obscure thing from a band that most people don't even know exist? In some ways i understand the appeal and why someone would like to own such, but in other ways it seems utterly foolish.

Well, I can understand *wanting* to have them all. I love flipping through my records and looking at the weird ones while playing them. Collecting records brings me a lot of joy. It's not about impressing other people. It's about enjoying them as music and pieces of art. I'm just saying, at this point, collecting them all is basically impossible, so it kind of makes collecting them more fun as it's less a quest to get every single one and more a quest to get the ones you want the most.

Offline Garnz

• INDEEEEEED
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: July 06, 2018, 12:02:01 PM »
Total PAT variants:
3/ yellow /edition 100
6/ test press /edition 5

First person to get all the variants wins.

Afraid you will end up only second? ;-)
Honestly: That comes close to the GPT variants that have hit the planet this year...