Pinkus Abortion Technician

Started by ))))((((, February 12, 2018, 11:30:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asesino

I've never listened to any BS, and I've never seen Blade Runner. Who wants to fight me?

Dumpster D

Never seen Blade runner...Well I got you beat there at least.

asesino

Quote from: Dumpster D on December 06, 2018, 08:09:41 PM
Never seen Blade runner...

Usually when I tell someone that they act like I just said I fucked their mom.

DToxico

Quote from: asesino on December 06, 2018, 05:24:51 PM
I've never listened to any BS

A lot of people who say this will then be like 'ooohhhh, theeeese guys' when I play them either "Pepper" or "Who Was in My Room Last Night"

glen

Quote from: DToxico on December 07, 2018, 10:56:54 AM

A lot of people who say this will then be like 'ooohhhh, theeeese guys' when I play them either "Pepper" or "Who Was in My Room Last Night"

the two single worst examples of Butthole Surfers songs IMO. 
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

linoleum blownapart

True Glen.

Blade Runner is a snooze fest.

Shame on the other.
thrower of the bong water balloons

Dumpster D

Blade Runner is a cool movie, I wouldn't dismiss it, for it's time it's still a very visually amazing film, un-matched cinnamontography.  :lol:

spunkmonkey

Quote from: glen on December 07, 2018, 11:45:08 AM
Quote from: DToxico on December 07, 2018, 10:56:54 AM

the two single worst examples of Butthole Surfers songs IMO.

I have a soft spot for IWS.  Yeah, it's more "accessible" than earlier stuff, but it still has enough weirdness in parts that I consider it the last necessary BHS release.

))))((((

Quote from: Dumpster D on December 07, 2018, 12:15:18 PM
Blade Runner is a cool movie, I wouldn't dismiss it, for it's time it's still a very visually amazing film, un-matched cinnamontography.
The first time i saw Blade Runner i wasn't impressed. In fact i thought it was a really dull, slow moving movie. So dark and difficult to see stuff too. I didn't particularly understand what it was about - and that was the redone version with the added voiceover "happy" ending. Over the years and a couple more viewings i began to appreciate it more. I haven't seen it in quite a while though. Haven't seen 2049 yet either.

Bigval

Quote from: ))))(((( on December 08, 2018, 03:15:10 AM
Quote from: Dumpster D on December 07, 2018, 12:15:18 PM
Blade Runner is a cool movie, I wouldn't dismiss it, for it's time it's still a very visually amazing film, un-matched cinnamontography.
The first time i saw Blade Runner i wasn't impressed. In fact i thought it was a really dull, slow moving movie. So dark and difficult to see stuff too. I didn't particularly understand what it was about - and that was the redone version with the added voiceover "happy" ending. Over the years and a couple more viewings i began to appreciate it more. I haven't seen it in quite a while though. Haven't seen 2049 yet either.

Pretty much the same for me. When I first saw it I really didn't get it considered it boring and way over-hyped. But then I gave it another go a year or two later and appreciated it a lot more. I still think it's a bit over-hyped but a pretty good movie all the same and especially good for when it was made.

jules

(the) Razor

I've been thinking about it for a while now, probably around a year, maybe longer. Just trying to figure out how they've evolved over the years and it's not about distortion or heaviness. It seems that in the past, a lot of the Melvin's essential DNA, what makes them Melvins is is that they presented themselves with the sideshow bob appearance, the muumuu, the gardening gloves, the ridiculous lyrics, the sense of humour. BUT. At the same time their music was totally opposite, it was nasty, heavy, punishing, savage, sharp or sludgy or disturbing. They worked in unison, two almost ironic juxtapositions if you will. This lasted for ages. 

From Dadaism nonsensical lyrics of Ozma mixed with brutal delivery. The quite clean precises delivery of the bootlicker opposed by a sinister tone and sharp delivery of all those songs. loose laid back feel on Honky while strongly opposed by a disturbing ambience throughout. The more you look at it the more it appears, the stark contrast they've always maintained.

However I could never place my finger on why but only recently I think it's because the newer albums don't have this.
It seems these days the ridiculousness of the Melvin s themselves has actually translated across into the music and to me, it just doesn't work as well.  they play a straight game these days.

nstead of the odd contradiction of the seriousness of their music mixed in with their sense of humour...these days it's crept across so much so that the contradiction is lost and all that is sometimes left is just that. 99 Bottles, or some of the covers.

It's not about heavy guitars or Melvins not making Lysol anymore. It's more the fact that that I think they've lost that essential ingredient which made Melvins the Melvins. It's not a diss, it's not a criticism but it's definitely the feeling I get when I hear their modern records to those of 15+ years ago.

There are some nasty/solid bits in this PAT album and the contractitions are stil there, but there are times where it just goes straight up and misses out on thisjuxtaposition d the'yve had for so many years. dont abnd me again i'm actually half drunk lol and typed this out in one go
Don't click this

Dumpster D

:D Stick him in the Leg up program.

Dumpster D

Quote from: (the) Razor on January 28, 2019, 12:07:50 AM
the sideshow bob appearance

My friend sent me this last week, reminds me of this.  :lol: