Pinkus Abortion Technician

Started by ))))((((, February 12, 2018, 11:30:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

(the) Razor

Another year, another Melvin's release... 8)
Don't click this

Hot Pants

the place where i sleep is cold and abandoned
you can't even fathom a hole being dug so deep

johnnyg

Quote from: ))))(((( on February 12, 2018, 05:29:44 PM
Quote from: meezer on February 12, 2018, 05:23:49 PM
It's a good thing they're covering that Beatles song because those guys were the "worst musicians ever"
Just imagine what Quincy Jones would say about Melvins!!

Interviewer: So, what do you think of the Melvins?

QJ: The Melvins? Nice guys. They helped faked the moon landing with Stevie Wonder. Gene Krupa taught them everything they know after he shot the governor of Mississippi and had to get plastic surgery to change his face. He was laying low. Say, do you like Brazilian music?

))))((((

Last year in an interview Dale said this album wasn't planned. He said Jeff came down to LA and they recorded the record. In light of that i wonder how well thought out or "written" the songs are. Especially the originals from Buzz. Knowing that these cover songs were live staples for a while does make it seem a little like they threw this one together a bit. That Buzz had a few songs written and they simply just decided to record the covers they had been playing to fill out an LP. Im sure it's not quite like that of course but it does make you wonder how vital the impetus to create this album was for the band.

aeustin

^^^ And from what I've heard in recent interviews, they are really excited to be playing with both Steve and Jeff. Makes sense, they always seemed to have a ton of fun playing with them.
Wake up to yourself before you die
The truth is hard but it's easy to lie

Mount Ambulance

Hold It In was great but not nearly as weird as I had expected or hoped for ... Hope on this one they got exceedingly lost all up there in Weirdsville.
It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!

linoleum blownapart

I'm keeping my mouth shut, and letting it all play out.  I'm biased, and like it.  Like I said, some will like it, and as Taylor Swift said, the haters are going to hate, that I have no doubt.  Besides the two bass attack, this album as a couple other first in Melvin's history.

Short time to write and record a record is a good thing.  The original Hold It In tracks were written over a short time, then once Paul got involved and brought a few more tracks, it snow balled into a bigger release.  It was originally only going to be a 4 song EP, and look what we got.
thrower of the bong water balloons

))))((((

Quote from: Mount Ambulance on February 13, 2018, 11:55:01 AM
Hold It In was great but not nearly as weird as I had expected or hoped for
It was a little long for me. The quality dipped a bit here and there i thought with the odd song. Being that it was a longer Melvins record, i wish that album had a few of the lesser tracks lobbed off to create a tighter set of songs. And when i say "lesser" tracks i mean the Paul Leary ones!

Quote from: linoleum blownapart on February 13, 2018, 12:25:53 PM
It was originally only going to be a 4 song EP, and look what we got.
Yes i remember that rumour being mentioned on here. The Pinkus EP i recall it being named.

echidna

Bigval

Quote from: ))))(((( on February 13, 2018, 12:41:06 PM
The Pinkus EP i recall it being named.

Which is basically what this seems to be. Five new songs and three covers is a bit of a cheeky release IMO.

meezer

Quote from: johnnyg on February 13, 2018, 08:22:45 AM
Quote from: ))))(((( on February 12, 2018, 05:29:44 PM
Quote from: meezer on February 12, 2018, 05:23:49 PM
It's a good thing they're covering that Beatles song because those guys were the "worst musicians ever"
Just imagine what Quincy Jones would say about Melvins!!

Interviewer: So, what do you think of the Melvins?

QJ: The Melvins? Nice guys. They helped faked the moon landing with Stevie Wonder. Gene Krupa taught them everything they know after he shot the governor of Mississippi and had to get plastic surgery to change his face. He was laying low. Say, do you like Brazilian music?
=D>
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

(PAUL)

The writeup at Metal Injection was pretty funny.

QuoteMelvins released a double album called A Walk With Love And Death on July 7, 2017, and then embarked on a 61-date tour that stretched from July to October. Clearly the band took about 30 minutes off between getting home and working on a new record, because there's a new Melvins record coming on April 20.

QuoteI can hear some of you from miles away right now too, and here's what you're saying – "what about Basses Loaded? That had SIX bassists! THIS IS BULLSHIT!" Well, yeah, but that had six bassists all performing on separate songs, whereas Pinkus Abortion Technician has two bassists performing simultaneously on each track. So suck it, hypothetical person.
Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

dirtmerchant

Quote from: linoleum blownapart on February 13, 2018, 12:25:53 PM
I'm keeping my mouth shut, and letting it all play out.  I'm biased, and like it.  Like I said, some will like it, and as Taylor Swift said, the haters are going to hate, that I have no doubt.  Besides the two bass attack, this album as a couple other first in Melvin's history.

Short time to write and record a record is a good thing.  The original Hold It In tracks were written over a short time, then once Paul got involved and brought a few more tracks, it snow balled into a bigger release.  It was originally only going to be a 4 song EP, and look what we got.

All I want to know is.....is it heavy?

))))((((

Quote from: Bigval on February 13, 2018, 07:51:47 PM
Quote from: ))))(((( on February 13, 2018, 12:41:06 PM
The Pinkus EP i recall it being named.
Which is basically what this seems to be. Five new songs and three covers is a bit of a cheeky release IMO.
I thought the same, although i suspect those original Pinkus songs made their way onto 'Hold It In'.

linoleum blownapart

Quote from: (PAUL) on February 13, 2018, 10:28:01 PM
The writeup at Metal Injection was pretty funny.

QuoteMelvins released a double album called A Walk With Love And Death on July 7, 2017, and then embarked on a 61-date tour that stretched from July to October. Clearly the band took about 30 minutes off between getting home and working on a new record, because there's a new Melvins record coming on April 20.

Shows what they know, both were written more or less at the same time, one just had to wait it's turn at Ipecac.

QuoteI can hear some of you from miles away right now too, and here's what you're saying – "what about Basses Loaded? That had SIX bassists! THIS IS BULLSHIT!" Well, yeah, but that had six bassists all performing on separate songs, whereas Pinkus Abortion Technician has two bassists performing simultaneously on each track. So suck it, hypothetical person.
Didn't they have a record recently with three basses at the same time?  Wasn't that record several years old?  So why step down to two now, shouldn't they be building?...THIS IS BULLSHIT!!
thrower of the bong water balloons