Pinkus Abortion Technician

Started by ))))((((, February 12, 2018, 11:30:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fureon Nectarmoon

Somebody who has an advance copy of the CD posted the album details on Discogs,
and looking at the credits it seems...
Buzz has written NONE of the songs on this album?! :shock:
Ummm............. I don't know what to think...

PepsiMike

Embrace the nub written by the McDonalds? Omg that makes sense.

This is more of a pinkus + Melvins ep, it looks like.

Fureon Nectarmoon

Quote from: PepsiMike on April 12, 2018, 03:41:34 PM
Embrace the nub written by the McDonalds? Omg that makes sense.

This is more of a pinkus + Melvins ep, it looks like.
More like Pinkus + Dale, with one Steven song. Weeeiiiirrrrddd.

))))((((

Quote from: Fureon Nectarmoon on April 12, 2018, 03:30:57 PM
Buzz has written NONE of the songs on this album?!
Ummm............. I don't know what to think...
I suppose it makes a sort of sense in light of what Dale said in an interview last year about how Pinkus turned up in LA and the band hadn't intended to make this recording. Had Buzz wrote a few songs i don't think it would automatically mean anything different though. I guess this news just allows me to look at this release like Everybody Loves Sausages or The Crybaby - a kind of cover or collaboration record. Something not to be taken too seriously.

Nice to see HAZE features on this album too! Some additional guitar work perhaps?

Quote from: PepsiMike on April 12, 2018, 03:41:34 PM
This is more of a pinkus + Melvins ep
Im happy with that. Some of Pinkus' songs on Hold it In were pretty good!

linoleum blownapart

Toshi did not get the credit of the weird Japanese piano thing he plays on Don't Forget to Breathe.

So if Buzz nor Dale wrote the songs, is it really a Melvin's record?

This was the one of the firsts I was talking about several pages back.

To bad they post all the credits like that.  I like when they give little info, like Pigs was.  With no info people blindly praise and hate a record.  Now they can play the blame game.  But so far the reviews have been pretty good.  This might earn some extra points on the pitchfork scale?
thrower of the bong water balloons

bUTTHOLEmAN

Three Haze versions of the album. Tour, mail-order, art edition.
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

amazonAMAZON

Having seen "I want to hold your hand" live twice already, the rest of the album could be dogs snoring and it would still be worth the pre-order. Just saying.

))))((((

Quote from: linoleum blownapart on April 13, 2018, 08:55:06 AM
So if Buzz nor Dale wrote the songs, is it really a Melvin's record?
Yes, because it says so on the cover!! Being serious though, that concept has kinda been explored on Everybody... and The Crybaby. Although i guess one could say that Buzz did actually write 'Heathen Earth' on the covers record and many of the songs on Crybaby originated as Melvins recordings given to other artists. One could even throw Chicken Switch in there too as another possible example of Melvins not really being Melvins. Funny also to think that the Crystal Fairy album is technically more a Melvins record than this is!

Fureon Nectarmoon

After many many times listening to "Stop" I only now realized the lyrics are slightly different
When I looked them up...

Quote from: https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/melvins/stopmovingtoflorida.html
Stop
I don't know the words
I think they're wrong
Stop
It don't matter jack
'Cause no one here
Really knows this song

Never knew how this song could be
Now this damn song's made a fool of me
My backstage is hazy
(One more time)
One more fucking band's gonna drive me crazy

Never knew how this song could be
Now this damn song's made a fool of me
My backstage is hazy
(One more time)
One more fucking band's gonna drive me crazy

WE'VE BEEN PLAYED LIKE A FIDDLE!

Chief Ten Beers

So has anyone seen the the CD package itself yet? Jewel-case, or the over-sized "LP replica" style cardboa digipak? Hopefully they got away from those like "Hold It In" was. I'm hoping for standard jewel case which they did last for Basses Loaded.

Fureon Nectarmoon

Quote from: Chief Ten Beers on April 15, 2018, 05:36:24 PM
So has anyone seen the the CD package itself yet? Jewel-case, or the over-sized "LP replica" style cardboa digipak? Hopefully they got away from those like "Hold It In" was. I'm hoping for standard jewel case which they did last for Basses Loaded.
I'm hoping for the opposite, why don't you like digipaks?
Think we've discussed this before but I still can't understand why some people prefer jewel cases.
Personally I hate the excessive plastic. That which hides the artwork like it's behind a glass so you can't touch it, and that strip on the left, and the inevitable border around the whole thing.
(At least it's not on the front on most Melvins albums, thank Mackie and Buzz for that)
I don't like the tactile feel of plastic as well, thick cardboard is so much nicer.
I can only think of a few exceptions where the jewel cases' "shop window glass" effect was fitting to the artwork.
But other than that I feel like digipaks are superior in every way :?

meezer

I've been having huge problems with the fully paper CD thing. Do they even measure CDs before they put these together these days? The CD should be in a removable sleeve, that it actually fits in as well as slides in and out. Then that sleeve should slide into the outer package, without needing the jaws of life to accomplish this task. Then, this entire package should not be ¼" to the" too big to fit in a case designed for CDs. Is that too complicated?  :x
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

))))((((

That's why my way is perfect - do away with the packaging and just put the disk in a generic, slimline CD case. When i used to keep the cases it always bugged me to see bands use different style cases from release to release. Not any longer! Now i don't care. My other pet hate as regards CD packaging is cases (usually of the half card/half plastic variety) that hold the CD in place incredibly strongly. You try to remove the CD and it feels like the disk is going to snap in half before you can get it out. The Whores album i brought recently was a classic example of that.

Quote from: Fureon Nectarmoon on April 16, 2018, 10:28:02 AM
I still can't understand why some people prefer jewel cases.
I think both are flawed. The cardboard digipacks definitely look better. They are more artifact like and as you say more suited to creative packaging. However i think these wear far quicker than your standard jewel case.

Stonergrunge

Digipacks are a good option when the plastic tray is included. A CD or at least the side where the laser light reads the information should never, EVER get in touch with any kind of surface or object because I could scratch and damage the stored information in the long run, that's why the good old classic jewel cases are and always will be the best way to store a CD.
cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love.
Foot fetishism means love, because, it's the magic of feet odor... Long live depravation.

amazonAMAZON

Fundamentally I support the idea of the CD amaray, like DVD packaging, if they made it square. The hard plastic of classic Jewel cases is ultimately bad for the art (booklets with those little teeth marks on the edge, or the crease where the case closed while the booklet slipped out. Amaray are replaceable, more flexible and more shock absorbent, and allow full cover art, protected and glossy.

The problem with digipaks is that the grip teeth in both Jewel cases and digipaks are essentially disposable. A jewel case where you can replace the tray is way better than a digipak with glued on tray that soon features crushed or chipped teeth.

For digipaks, ideally we'd have premium clear resealable plastic like many Japanese products are packaged. That would solve most of the digipak wear problem.

I hear that the liability on CDs (aside from deep scratches on the playing surface) is actually dye from cheap label ink (or bleeding inks from disc label touching any other art or packaging). Certain dyes and other harsh solvents over time will eat through and disturb the reflective surface from the label side, which can truly ruin the CD worse than most scratches.

I'm with you on the annoyance of oversized digipaks or ill fitting inserts. Or the worst... the CD just falls out of some unsecure pocket when you hold the digipak closed. Even worse that pocket is a roundish die cut half way through the art that makes putting the CD in or out feel like scratching it heinously.