Author Topic: Pinkus Abortion Technician  (Read 44035 times)

))))((((

Re: Pinkus Abortion Technician
« Reply #195 on: April 21, 2018, 02:29:35 AM »
"Break Bread" is hilarious, it could be perfect as music for a TV commercial.
If i have one complaint about the album (minus the duffer Embrace The Rub) it's that Pinkus repeats the words "break bread" a little too much for my liking in that song. It seems a bit too much. Something Melvins themselves don't ever really do - fixate upon a word or phrase. Interestingly i don't mind the repetition of the title in 'Don't Forget To Breathe' where i do in 'Break Bread'.

Offline linoleum blownapart

• ♥'s Butt Drugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 21, 2018, 07:43:32 AM »
Maybe it is telling you to go to church and find a good Christian girl?

I can’t think of one, and I’m on my first cup of coffee. But I don’t think the Melvins are big on choruses?
thrower of the bong water balloons

Offline meezer

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • Looking for vocalists
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #197 on: April 21, 2018, 08:26:33 AM »
Maybe it is telling you to go to church and find a good Christian girl?

I can’t think of one, and I’m on my first cup of coffee. But I don’t think the Melvins are big on choruses?
See: Set Me Straight.

They've mostly moved on from that era.
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

Offline Mount Ambulance

• watches fox red eye
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 21, 2018, 08:57:01 AM »
If i have one complaint about the album it's that Pinkus repeats the words "break bread" a little too much for my liking in that song.

lol! Now every time I hear Pinkus go ... "Break Bread!" in that song I'm gonna picture Ian wincing and cringing ... and I don't even know what Ian looks like!

Hell all morning I've been puttering about singing ... "Break Bread!" and laughing at Ian wincing and cringing over there in jolly ol' England.

Sorry Ian.
It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

Sunday afternoon’s alright for fighting as well.

))))((((

« Reply #199 on: April 21, 2018, 09:42:48 AM »
Hell all morning I've been puttering about singing ... "Break Bread!" and laughing at Ian wincing and cringing over there in jolly ol' England.
I'll probably say this in the wrong way, but to me that is one of those sort of bouncy, more "immediate" lets say songs. One that gives the impression it was fairly quickly written. So having this line repeated over the top adds to that flimsy feeling to me. It makes the song seem more throwaway with it than it should be. Like i say i could probably explain that better but that is the vibe i get when listening to the song. I'd say it's a half cringe on that one.

Offline 119

• INDEEEEEED
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 21, 2018, 10:20:53 AM »
I honestly cannot wait for this "era" of the Melvins to go away...if it ever does. I don't get it. This stuff doesn't blow me away like previous releases.

Offline Bigval

• H.F.S.P.R.!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 21, 2018, 10:29:31 AM »
I honestly cannot wait for this "era" of the Melvins to go away...if it ever does. I don't get it. This stuff doesn't blow me away like previous releases.

Agreed, this is a very ordinary album but I can't see old Melvins ever coming back. Three Men and A Baby with it's crunchy heaviness stood out like dogs balls compared to their recent output of quirky pop songs designed to tap your feet to. It's a shame but it is what it is, age.

Offline herb wilkinson

• Fears SNIVLEM
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 21, 2018, 11:15:44 AM »
Yeah, I too wish they would just keep making the same albums they did when they were younger and totally different people again and again and never try different things

Offline AxelFoley

• merch vulture
  • This is the cleanest & nicest board I've ever been
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 21, 2018, 01:13:54 PM »
I'll probably say this in the wrong way, but to me that is one of those sort of bouncy, more "immediate" lets say songs. One that gives the impression it was fairly quickly written. So having this line repeated over the top adds to that flimsy feeling to me. It makes the song seem more throwaway with it than it should be. Like i say i could probably explain that better but that is the vibe i get when listening to the song. I'd say it's a half cringe on that one.

I feel exactly the same. "Break Bread" is a pretty stupid phrase, anyway. Reminds me of some douchey 80's schlock-rock.

Offline meezer

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • Looking for vocalists
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #204 on: April 21, 2018, 01:17:58 PM »
Yeah, I too wish they would just keep making the same albums they did when they were younger and totally different people again and again and never try different things
=D> first post!
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

Offline Stonergrunge

• godfather of grunge
  • Julk-Ælk Burokk
    • View Profile
    • My Soundcloud page
« Reply #205 on: April 21, 2018, 01:50:38 PM »
Well, maybe the last two albums are indeed a bit more soft compared to their previous stuff but I do believe that Basses Loaded has some pretty good and heavy tracks, like "Beer Hippy", "The Decay Of Lying", "Choco Plumbing" and "Hideous Woman" among others.
cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love.
Foot fetishism means love, because, it's the magic of feet odor... Long live depravation.

Offline Fureon Nectarmoon

• knows moss
  • RAIN-BOOOOOOW!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 21, 2018, 03:32:14 PM »
Yeah, I was relistening to Basses Loaded recently and in retrospect it's actually a very damned decent album.

So what can I say about the new one? It's pretty neat.
It could have easily been an EP if you'd take out the cover songs, and that's pretty much how I view it.
But it would be quite a remarkable EP at that.

• Prenup Butter might be my favorite on the record despite having the stupidest worthless title in all of the band's catalog.
    (And I'm almost never the one to dislike Melvins' song titles. I'm pretty much the opposite of )))((( in that regard)
    Very strong deep Buzz vocals. Very enjoyable.
    And the riff after Buzz finishes singing each verse is... mwah!  :love:
    It's a Black Sabbath level riff I would say.
    Great song overall.

• Don't Forget To Breathe is another definite highlight.
    For some reason Jeff's vocal delivery reminded me of a bluesy take on...... dare I say the N-word here?.... Nirvana.
    It's somewhat depressing, definitely a feel-bad song. Like blues but without the stoicism.

• Flamboyant Duck... not really feeling it now. Maybe it's a grower.

• I Want To Hold Your Hand - well, I already loved it from when they played it on tour. This recorded version is very good, although the elongated ending doesn't feel necessary and I think the Adult Swim live version was slightly more melodic due to how the backing vocals were equally loud whereas here Buzz's take central stage.

• Stop Moving To Florida - Stop is quite infectious, I've been listening to it quite a lot since they uploaded it. Moving To Florida was much better live, I already talked about it. And since they put it in one track I was hoping there'd be some kind of mashup, but it's just one song after the other.

• Graveyard is Graveyard, of course it's awesome. I was the most hyped about it when they played it on first tour with Pinkus, now I'm not as excited about it as then, but I'm glad there's now a studio version of it.

• Break Bread is the only song on the record I strongly dislike. No thanks. As I was entering the thread I was thinking about it and particularly the repetition of the title (which isn't a great title either), and I immediately saw ian grunting about it as well :) But I do actually agree.

• Embrace The Rub - speaking of repetition (and ian grouching), the title is sung repeatedly in this one as well, quite unfittingly. That makes three songs but in Don't Forget To Breathe it actually fits and makes sense, being a mantra it is.
    But. BUT! Other than that it's actually a really good and unexpected song, I don't know what makes )))((( so ː((( about it.

Overall, I like the album, but honestly I'm already waiting for the Steven era to end.

Offline Mount Ambulance

• watches fox red eye
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 21, 2018, 05:00:26 PM »
pretty weird looking at the credits for "Embrace The Rub" and seeing the name ... Josh Klinghoffer, being dude is the current guitarist for RHCP an' all ... Granted he's played with PJ Harvey and PJ is the shit ... still kinda weird Melvins rubbing shoulders w/ that bit of LA musicalia.

It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

Sunday afternoon’s alright for fighting as well.

Offline (the) Razor

• Handler
  • Told you girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 21, 2018, 06:36:52 PM »

Agreed, this is a very ordinary album but I can't see old Melvins ever coming back. Three Men and A Baby with it's crunchy heaviness stood out like dogs balls compared to their recent output of quirky pop songs designed to tap your feet to. It's a shame but it is what it is, age.

It's easier if you treat the newer albums like EPs. Never even made it through Break Bread, Stop moving to Florida, shaving cream, 99 bottles etc...next.... instant gratification era  :lol:
Don't click this

Offline GiveMe45

• godfather of grunge
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 21, 2018, 06:58:13 PM »
Just listened all the way through for the first time.  Fucking love it.