Author Topic: Pinkus Abortion Technician  (Read 62676 times)

Offline aeustin

• knows moss
  • Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents.
    • View Profile
Re: Pinkus Abortion Technician
« Reply #210 on: April 21, 2018, 08:02:06 PM »
I've listened to it maybe 10 times now. Yeah I still stand by my statement that this is their best in years.

It is way more layered than their other newer stuff. Reminds me a lot of Stag, actually.

There is A LOT going on in the background of the songs.
Wake up to yourself before you die
The truth is hard but it's easy to lie

Offline Bigval

• H.F.S.P.R.!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 21, 2018, 09:21:15 PM »
Well, maybe the last two albums are indeed a bit more soft compared to their previous stuff but I do believe that Basses Loaded has some pretty good and heavy tracks, like "Beer Hippy", "The Decay Of Lying", "Choco Plumbing" and "Hideous Woman" among others.

I like Basses Loaded too but it's more a compilation album than proper album of just left over songs from the various incarnations of the band.

Offline Bigval

• H.F.S.P.R.!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 21, 2018, 09:23:23 PM »
I honestly cannot wait for this "era" of the Melvins to go away...if it ever does. I don't get it. This stuff doesn't blow me away like previous releases.

Agreed, this is a very ordinary album but I can't see old Melvins ever coming back. Three Men and A Baby with it's crunchy heaviness stood out like dogs balls compared to their recent output of quirky pop songs designed to tap your feet to. It's a shame but it is what it is, age.

It's easier if you treat the newer albums like EPs. Never even made it through Break Bread, Stop moving to Florida, shaving cream, 99 bottles etc...next.... instant gratification era  :lol:

I came close to pressing stop during 'Stop Moving To Florida' and although the album did get better it wasn't much better.

Offline amazonAMAZON

• descendant of shirley temple
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 22, 2018, 12:42:38 AM »
"Don't Forget to Breathe" is the highlight on the first few listens. Stuck in my head all day.

I really hear the two basses in a few places to great effect. There's a place maybe in Break Bread or Flamboyant where I think Steven does an ascending fill that really works well against Pinkus (all that info could be wrong).

On "Prenup Butter" the first thing that stands out is the lowness and looseness. Are the basses both severely detuned? Just curious.

Went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. Whoever can't wait for the "Steven era to end" will probably be heavily disappointed. Even though Steven wrote just one song on here, I think he's an ideal collaborator for this band at this time.

Considering this is Pinkus's farewell record ostensibly, it's a really great show of his warped mind fitting perfectly in the Melvins fold. This record has me re-appreciating Hold It In and Basses Loaded where Jeff played, too.
"Get up, open the curtains and smell the Melvins." -jules

Offline Bigval

• H.F.S.P.R.!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 22, 2018, 12:44:46 AM »
"Don't Forget to Breathe" is the highlight on the first few listens. Stuck in my head all day.

I agree that is the stand out song on the album for mine and I like Prenup Butter too.

))))((((

« Reply #215 on: April 22, 2018, 03:15:24 AM »
Considering this is Pinkus's farewell record ostensibly
I hope not! I like him in the band. Certainly far more than Steven and actually more than having Jared return too.

))))((((

« Reply #216 on: April 22, 2018, 03:50:32 AM »
I Want To Hold Your Hand - well, I already loved it from when they played it on tour. This recorded version is very good, although the elongated ending doesn't feel necessary and I think the Adult Swim live version was slightly more melodic due to how the backing vocals were equally loud whereas here Buzz's take central stage.
One thing i find funny is when i listen to that song on the record i keep expecting to hear Steve shout out "yeah Buzzo" in one bit like he did when they performed it live. It's bugging me that i can't stop hearing that in my head!

It's easier if you treat the newer albums like EPs.
That's a good way of putting it and actually rather true. All the albums since Freak Puke have at least 4 really cool songs and then some filler. Perhaps i should start thinking of them more as expanded EP's than proper albums.

Offline Oscar

• chicken to ride
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 22, 2018, 05:16:57 AM »

• Don't Forget To Breathe is another definite highlight.
    For some reason Jeff's vocal delivery reminded me of a bluesy take on...... dare I say the N-word here?.... Nirvana.
    It's somewhat depressing, definitely a feel-bad song. Like blues but without the stoicism.

Yeah I hear that, I got some strong Lane Staley vibes from those vocals

Offline Bigval

• H.F.S.P.R.!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 22, 2018, 05:18:11 AM »
Perhaps i should start thinking of them more as expanded EP's than proper albums.

I'm in the middle of putting together a compilation CD for my brother of the best songs from the last 6 years of Melvins albums. Two songs from PAT will be on it.

Not technically Melvins but I forgot how good that King Buzzo solo album was.

))))((((

« Reply #219 on: April 22, 2018, 05:30:08 AM »
Not technically Melvins but I forgot how good that King Buzzo solo album was.
That's the best thing he's been associated with since Freak Puke IMO. I think that record shows Buzz can still write excellent songs. There is no doubt there. Imagine that material on electric with Dale and a bassist and that would be a brilliant Melvins album.

I mean, just look!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFPM81Cgeog

Offline Fureon Nectarmoon

• knows moss
  • RAIN-BOOOOOOW!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 22, 2018, 06:17:53 AM »
Yeah Buzzo's solo album was killer.
And I do like Pinkus in the band more than Steve.
Steve is a nice guy and fun on stage but his musical tastes (and ergo, influences) are pretty far from my personal preferences.

))))((((

« Reply #221 on: April 22, 2018, 06:46:23 AM »
Steve is a nice guy and fun on stage but his musical tastes (and ergo, influences) are pretty far from my personal preferences.
That's all it comes down to with me as well. I have no problem with him as a person. He's cool.

Online black stallion

• Onion Ringoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 22, 2018, 07:00:24 AM »
Just listened all the way through for the first time.  Fucking love it.

haven't checked the new album yet, waiting for my copy to arrive.. though it's funny how every fan has a different opinion about it, makes me very curious
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Online black stallion

• Onion Ringoes
    • View Profile
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Offline buddy holiday

• Has a copy of the vinney/buzzo interview
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 22, 2018, 11:59:19 AM »
Just listened all the way through for the first time.  Fucking love it.

haven't checked the new album yet, waiting for my copy to arrive.. though it's funny how every fan has a different opinion about it, makes me very curious
you will love it...
it is just a bit more beautiful than the navigli quarter.
it is also better than pizza.