Pinkus Abortion Technician

Started by ))))((((, February 12, 2018, 11:30:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Schuller

This is the most SOLID Melvins record for me since Bulls and the Bees. Amazing cover song choices, amazing originals - especially the ear worm that is Don't Forget to Breathe.

I think what a lot of people are experiencing with all of the recent albums is fatigue due to the amount of music that they put out now. It used to be, back in the day, you would get a really solid Melvins album or EP once every 1-2 years. This requires a band to be much more selective about what songs they record and release. The Melvins are now at a point in their career where they can be as prolific as they wanna be - they are putting out new records all of the time. They have a studio and engineer at their disposal whenever they want to record and two labels that will put out everything that they do. They are constantly writing music, recording music and collaborating with new musicians or doing solo projects and side projects (Crystal Fairy). By releasing what seems like everything that they are recording, the quality of the music is not going to be as high all of the time, but the quantity is sure up there. If they were in a position of only being able to put out a record or EP in the numbers of the late eighties and early nineties, we would probably see a much different selection of songs that reach our ears. I am not complaining, and I am certainly not going to tell Buzz and Dale how to run their show, I trust them 100%, but just think that is what is going on here. I would rather have TOO MUCH Melvins music than none at all!

All of that being said - this album kicks my ass.

John Schuller

Quote from: sadcorps on April 22, 2018, 03:37:58 PM
This is the most SOLID Melvins record for me since Bulls and the Bees. Amazing cover song choices, amazing originals - especially the ear worm that is Don't Forget to Breathe.

I think what a lot of people are experiencing with all of the recent albums is fatigue due to the amount of music that they put out now. It used to be, back in the day, you would get a really solid Melvins album or EP once every 1-2 years. This requires a band to be much more selective about what songs they record and release. The Melvins are now at a point in their career where they can be as prolific as they wanna be - they are putting out new records all of the time. They have a studio and engineer at their disposal whenever they want to record and two labels that will put out everything that they do. They are constantly writing music, recording music and collaborating with new musicians or doing solo projects and side projects (Crystal Fairy). By releasing what seems like everything that they are recording, the quality of the music is not going to be as high all of the time, but the quantity is sure up there. If they were in a position of only being able to put out a record or EP in the numbers of the late eighties and early nineties, we would probably see a much different selection of songs that reach our ears. I am not complaining, and I am certainly not going to tell Buzz and Dale how to run their show, I trust them 100%, but just think that is what is going on here. I would rather have TOO MUCH Melvins music than none at all!

I also might be full of shit too because Maggot, Bootlicker, Crybaby and COD all came out pretty quickly. What the fuck do I know?

Oscar

As more and more people listen to this record, I think it's important to note that voicing criticism of the band's current sound does not automatically imply that one wants the 90's back or that the Melvins should "return" to anything they have done in the past. Quite the contrary, venturing off into the unknown is a big part of what makes them great. It's just that trying something new or different can also result in a dud. This is a forum after all, so calling any and all critics whiny bitches, haters or nostalgic sludge worshippers is a little narrow-minded in my opinion.

That said, I like this record and it's refreshing to have some sonic layers to peel back this time around.

Michael Jordan

Quote from: Fureon Nectarmoon on April 21, 2018, 04:32:14 PM

Overall, I like the album, but honestly I'm already waiting for the Steven era to end.

Couldn't have put it better...

I met Steven after the Orlando show last September as he came outside to smoke a cigarette while I was waiting for a cab. We spoke for 5-10 mins and I can say that he is a super nice, cool guy.

However, I also must say that I didn't like his fit in the melvins pretty much from day one, mostly on stage.

He brings in a more "poppy", clean vibe, which I probably wouldn't mind in bands who are NOT Melvins  :D

For me, Melvins (especially live Melvins) was always about heaviness, weirdness, something you FEEL, DIVE INTO, EXPERIENCE, rather than just watch or listen to.  The 2 shows I've attended with Steven on bass lacked that X factor, that elusive feeling that you normally get after a Melvins show. That "what the fuck did I just watch?" (in a good way) feeling...

The shows with Steven look more "professional" if u'd like, more of a "rock show" for the fans as opposed to standard Melvins which is "Anti-fans"  :lol:   it lacks that "fuck you" attitude, that uniqueness that distinguishes Melvins from other bands.

It really hit me again a couple of months back when that video of Night Goat with Kevin surfaced. I'd much rather see someone like Kevin on bass...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2Geupgdfps

So yeah I agree about Steven  :).

I also agree that this is not a bad album, but I think it's far from being one of their best.

BTW apparently I'm the only one here who likes embrace the rub??
Why say no to drugs when you can say yes?

herb wilkinson

Quote from: aeustin on April 21, 2018, 09:02:06 PM
There is A LOT going on in the background of the songs.

I noticed this going through the songs for the first time, it really makes them worth re-listening to. I don't like PAT as much as Freak Puke (still my favorite release of theirs this decade w/ Bulls & the Bees a close second) but I'd say it's the best since that one. I feel like their last couple of releases (Basses Loaded onward) have all been getting better and better after a couple mediocre ones in-between. The only thing I truly don't like about the new one is the Moving to Florida cover, I just can't take Buzz's voice on it! I think my patience for some of the Butthole Surfers' stuff wore out a while ago and doing an even more exaggerated voice than Gibby Haynes' certainly doesn't help.

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on April 22, 2018, 01:42:38 AM
Went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. Whoever can't wait for the "Steven era to end" will probably be heavily disappointed. Even though Steven wrote just one song on here, I think he's an ideal collaborator for this band at this time.

hell yeah to all of this

dead mike

Well, whatever one thinks about the new album, we can all agree that it is better than the new Tool album will be.
Can you all shut your damn cocks for one second? Music is the only thing that's real in this queef world of dildo ass chodes.

- hemispheres

meezer

Quote from: dead mike on April 22, 2018, 05:02:08 PM
Well, whatever one thinks about the new album, we can all agree that it is better than the new Tool album will be.
=D>
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

If its any clue as to what exactly I'm talking about what I said about "this era" the last Melvins album that blew me away was in fact Freak Puke. There was not one bad track on that album. Yes I also think Buzz's solo album is awesome too. All the albums after Freak Puke have been hit and miss for me. There may 2-3 songs on each album I like but the rest of them not so much.

I'm ready for another Big Business/Melvins album honestly. If there ever will be another one...

bUTTHOLEmAN

Quote from: sadcorps on April 22, 2018, 03:38:40 PM

I also might be full of shit too because Maggot, Bootlicker, Crybaby and COD all came out pretty quickly. What the fuck do I know?
Don't make me separate you two.
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

Bigval

I would rather have TOO MUCH Melvins music than none at all!

Very well said. Although I and others have quibbled the quality of the throw it all out there and see what sticks approach I'd much rather that than the 'old' days of getting a new album every 2 years or look at some mainstream rock bands only putting out a new album every 4-5 years.

There are plenty of awesome songs on these post-TBSM albums.

GrimReaper

Quote from: herb wilkinson on April 22, 2018, 03:58:37 PM
I just can't take Buzz's voice on it! I think my patience for some of the Butthole Surfers' stuff wore out a while ago and doing an even more exaggerated voice than Gibby Haynes' certainly doesn't help.

I know what you mean, but it's grown on me and I really dig it now. I didn't like it at first because it seemed like Buzz was emulating Gibby.  After a few listens it dawned on me that this is Buzz performing a cover the way he wants to interpret it.

GrimReaper

Quote from: Bigval on April 22, 2018, 08:35:31 PM
There are plenty of awesome songs on these post-TBSM albums.

He speaks the truth.

dirtmerchant

8 tracks, 3 of them covers. The rest of em written by Pinkus Or Steve. One track bearing Crovers name as well.  Yet I see people saying this is their best album in ten years? Really? Only proof of this being a melvins album is the band name on the cover. This is a Pinkus album wih a few covers,  lets be honest. I know it was said in an interview that it wasn't planned and it was done really fast which makes sense after hearing it. Hopefully someday they will learn quality over quantity unless there is quality and quantity (the trilogy) I feel like some of the same people who say this is their best in a long time are the same people who say they love prick or think the second disc of a walk with love and death is amazing. Prick was a joke and the second disc of awwlad is pretty much the same. I know buzz said the second disc was hard to do but that doesn't make it good. The original tracks aren't horrible. I was really liking prenup butter til Steven came in with that horrid bass effect.  he used that same shit live on Amazon last time I saw them. Bass wah filter phaser filter what ever the fuck it is please someobe take it from him. I know they love playing with him but Jesus the dude Is a goofball and cheeses everything up on stage. I say that knowing the Melvins have a sense of humor behind everything they do.maybe they will do another album with Kevin since they jammed with him recently.  I don't hate the album but it makes my head hurt to see people say it's their best album in ten years. I'll still buy the album to support them and keep them touring to my town  Sorry for all the yelling but they are one of my all time favorites , now when is the Haze Edition goin up on shoxop?😅

meezer

That bass effect on Amazon live ruled!!!
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix