Author Topic: Pinkus Abortion Technician  (Read 62680 times)

Offline Chief Ten Beers

• louisville lip service
    • View Profile
Re: Pinkus Abortion Technician
« Reply #300 on: April 27, 2018, 04:08:46 PM »
Still, I cannot wait for him to lose that EGC guitar. The heft is gone. Same situation with Duane Dennison on the Jesus Lizard reunion shows. Those guitars are souped up banjos, they just don't cut it.
I'm no guitarist and don't study this stuff, but ever think that Buzz's sound has changed due to amplification/pedals, and not the axe?
 I'm always a fan of old-school tube amps & Strats/Les Pauls, but with Primus for instance I sort of miss when Ler used to sling the PRS. Not sure what exactly, but I know he changed amps from what he used in the '90s to now.

Offline mikewilliamson

• Fears SNIVLEM
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 27, 2018, 05:39:02 PM »
Still, I cannot wait for him to lose that EGC guitar. The heft is gone. Same situation with Duane Dennison on the Jesus Lizard reunion shows. Those guitars are souped up banjos, they just don't cut it.

100% agree. Buzz's guitar tone used to sound incredible, but now he plays that squawk box sounding thing through a single half stack (the other half stack up there isn't even on) - The heaviness is at about 50% what it used to be. I didn't even buy tix to this current tour cuz their live sound has been pretty disappointing to me the last 5 years or so.  And I also agree with the criticisms of recent Melvins albums in this thread.  At this point, I'm buying them strictly out of habit.  I haven't listened to any of them more than a couple times really since SENILE.  They all sound pretty tossed off to me, especially the last few.

I'll always love Melvins but I haven't been really excited by the band in quite some time. (shrug)

Offline DToxico

• INDEEEEEED
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 27, 2018, 05:48:50 PM »

Offline meezer

• Onion Ringoes
  • Looking for vocalists
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #303 on: April 27, 2018, 08:58:05 PM »

100% agree. Buzz's guitar tone used to sound incredible, but now he plays that squawk box sounding thing through a single half stack (the other half stack up there isn't even on)
All of the speakers you see on stage are powered on. The two amp heads you see, one is strictly a backup. Watch the rig rundown.
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

Captain CoryCory

« Reply #304 on: April 27, 2018, 09:01:37 PM »
Final verdict is a "Highest possible recommendation". The record is just too damn fun not to pass up.

http://doodlehound.blogspot.com/2018/04/melvins-pinkus-abortion-technician.html

Offline mikewilliamson

• Fears SNIVLEM
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 27, 2018, 09:42:51 PM »

100% agree. Buzz's guitar tone used to sound incredible, but now he plays that squawk box sounding thing through a single half stack (the other half stack up there isn't even on)
All of the speakers you see on stage are powered on. The two amp heads you see, one is strictly a backup. Watch the rig rundown.

Yeah, I've seen the rundown, and seen him play live half a dozen times with this new setup.  He used to use multiple heads through multiple cabs, and they were face meltingly loud. The last show of theirs I saw (the Echo in LA last year) I was directly in front of his amp, front row, and I could BARELY feel the power. Time before that, at the Troubadour, front row in front of him and I could barely hear the guitar at all.  It's just a really weak setup for this style of music, whereas previously I may have pointed to his live gear as a reference point for how heavy guitar rock should sound.

Offline spliff(TONE)

• INDEEEEEED
  • FISH CANNOT CARRY GUNS
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 28, 2018, 01:12:09 AM »
Just heard the majority of this album (bar 'Flamboyant Duck'). Prior to listening i was on the fence of if to buy it or not. Thankfully i have to say this is actually quite a solid record. 'Don't Forget To Breathe' in particular is an undeniably cool song and the album highlight. 'Graveyard is a little slower than the live version i was used to hearing and loved but still good. Hey, perhaps from now on Jeff Pinkus should write ALL Melvins material!!

Easy now, let's not get crazy.

Offline spliff(TONE)

• INDEEEEEED
  • FISH CANNOT CARRY GUNS
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 28, 2018, 01:27:56 AM »
Considering this is Pinkus's farewell record ostensibly
I hope not! I like him in the band. Certainly far more than Steven and actually more than having Jared return too.

For live shows, I easily prefer Steven over Pinkus but kinda can't stand Steven's songs and lead vocals so far (both studio and live). For me, Jared blows them both out of the water both live and in the studio. I definitely miss the Big Business aided live configuration.

Offline spliff(TONE)

• INDEEEEEED
  • FISH CANNOT CARRY GUNS
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 28, 2018, 01:45:34 AM »
8 tracks, 3 of them covers. The rest of em written by Pinkus Or Steve. One track bearing Crovers name as well.  Yet I see people saying this is their best album in ten years? Really? Only proof of this being a melvins album is the band name on the cover. This is a Pinkus album wih a few covers,  lets be honest. I know it was said in an interview that it wasn’t planned and it was done really fast which makes sense after hearing it. Hopefully someday they will learn quality over quantity unless there is quality and quantity (the trilogy) I feel like some of the same people who say this is their best in a long time are the same people who say they love prick or think the second disc of a walk with love and death is amazing. Prick was a joke and the second disc of awwlad is pretty much the same. I know buzz said the second disc was hard to do but that doesn’t make it good. The original tracks aren’t horrible. I was really liking prenup butter til Steven came in with that horrid bass effect.  he used that same shit live on Amazon last time I saw them. Bass wah filter phaser filter what ever the fuck it is please someobe take it from him. I know they love playing with him but Jesus the dude Is a goofball and cheeses everything up on stage. I say that knowing the Melvins have a sense of humor behind everything they do.maybe they will do another album with Kevin since they jammed with him recently.  I don’t hate the album but it makes my head hurt to see people say it’s their best album in ten years. I’ll still buy the album to support them and keep them touring to my town  Sorry for all the yelling but they are one of my all time favorites , now when is the Haze Edition goin up on shoxop?<span class="emoji-outer emoji-sizer"><span class="emoji-inner" style="background: url(chrome-extension://immhpnclomdloikkpcefncmfgjbkojmh/emoji-data/sheet_apple_32.png);background-position:59.9882491186839% 67.97884841363103%;background-size:5418.75% 5418.75%" data-codepoints="1f605"></span></span>

The new album drops a GIANT DOOKIE on everything they've done the last 18yrs let alone 10. And if you want to call it a Pinkus album then mad props to him for giving Melvins and their sissy fans a good kick up the ass.
Oh and if Steve is too cheesey for you moaning toilet ghosts.....then STOP taking everything so seriously.....it's only rock'n'roll.....go drop some acid and see the world for what it truly is....people being in too much of a rush and taking everything WAAAAAAAY too seriously.

To each their own but....lol no, not even close. I'm a complete Melvins nut and this record does basically nothing for me outside of Don't Forget To Breathe. Not enough Buzz and too many covers would be my biggest complaints.

))))((((

« Reply #309 on: April 28, 2018, 03:08:02 AM »
At this point, I'm buying them strictly out of habit.
Pretty much the same here.

Offline 119

• gardening gloves
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 28, 2018, 08:41:14 AM »
At this point for me (A) Senile Animal is the last great Melvins album.

no doubt about that

I agree but I admit that Freak Puke holds a special place for me too. So its tough. Everything after that has been hit and miss. Three Men and a Baby was brilliant though.

I could definitely make a great compilation of the songs I like since ASA and toss the rest.

Ultimately what this new album is, is an album of songs that Buzz and Dale as fanboys would want from some of their heroes.

Im not that big of a fan of Butthole Surfers.

Offline meezer

• Onion Ringoes
  • Looking for vocalists
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #311 on: April 28, 2018, 09:04:42 AM »
It's funny to see folks who don't frequent the rest of the board fall into the Helen83 troll trap!  :lol:

"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

Offline Helen83

• godfather of grunge
  • Monchhichi
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 28, 2018, 12:37:23 PM »
It's funny to see folks who don't frequent the rest of the board fall into the Helen83 troll trap!  :lol:

The honey trap.

Who is this chick calling us all sissies!

Offline aeustin

• knows moss
  • Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents.
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 28, 2018, 03:58:59 PM »
lmao am I the only one here that still unironically enjoys them?
Wake up to yourself before you die
The truth is hard but it's easy to lie

Offline Oscar

• chicken to ride
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 28, 2018, 04:03:32 PM »
lmao am I the only one here that still unironically enjoys them?

I enjoy the Melvins as much as I ever did, which is a whole lot. I just think they're going through a career lull.
Some of my lifelong favourites have dropped stinkers, still love em to death.

It's like being a Zappa fan in the 80s, I guess.