Melvins, Buzz/Hilbesh Designs "Pessimiser" distortion pedal

Started by (the) flutter nuts, February 21, 2018, 06:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meezer

"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

Stonergrunge

Quote from: Dumpster D on July 20, 2018, 04:56:22 PM
Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on July 20, 2018, 03:43:04 PM
That seems like a huge thing to forget.

Not so much, It happens when your working your ass off meeting deadlines and demands from time to time.

sometimes things happen along the way.

And also since people nowadays mostly use power supplies from brands like Voodoo Labs, T-Rex, Strymon, Caline or 1 Spot instead of batteries I can see why he forgot to install the connector.
cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love.
Foot fetishism means love, because, it's the magic of feet odor... Long live depravation.

Dumpster D

I've done a couple pedal builds, often times you are testing things and simply overlook something in the final stages.

He clearly doesn't test them using a battery, not if you're building a run of these simultaneously, a 9 volt is like $10, you would need a hundred bucks of batteries on hand.

Honestly I wouldn't use a battery either, unless as emergency backup power if someone fucks my Power cord at the show. 

bUTTHOLEmAN

Not so much, It happens when your working your ass off meeting deadlines and demands from time to time.

Making a pedal for a friend, or making one for yourself - sure, it happens. Producing 100 for a company selling them at a price of $300? That's sloppy.
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

meezer

"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

bUTTHOLEmAN

if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

Dumpster D

Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on July 20, 2018, 07:17:40 PM

Making a pedal for a friend, or making one for yourself - sure, it happens. Producing 100 for a company selling them at a price of $300? That's sloppy.

I disagree. nothing is flawless, it's impressive. production oversights are known to happen from time to time, humans are not machines.

100 builds is a lot of work that's a $30,000 job,  Lots of variables potentially go wrong.

producing the Melvins Documentary wasn't there a slight snag with the DVD itself?

I worked in a bindery putting books together, a 70-80,000 Dollar Job sometimes turns into a 120,000 Job if someone fucks up royal. It's months of work. Sometimes books don't have staples in em'...someone forgot to check, there goes a nights work up in smoke....guess who was too tired and forgot to check while running the machine?  think you're tired then? How about after you have to spend an additional 7 hours on a 12 hour shift to catch up to the mistake so the day shift can run on time on schedule...trust me it's a miracle anything ever happens right. Point being, you don't want to fuck up an expensive Job.

Someone forgot to take their vitamins that day is all.

Reversing the terminals on the battery connector though would be sloppy, something like that. If you're like me and don't know what you're doing maybe you'll get a volume pot wire inverted.

How many safeguards can you put on a Job like this? no one's life is on the line here that's for sure.

I once paid a guy to re-do the gears on my bike, he obviously burned a Joint and didn't seat the cables through the housing under the crank case, and guess what? My LIFE is hanging by a steel chain? if I Paid someone to fuck up my life $20 for the Labor is paying for what you get...rest assured I gave that guy a real hard time when I took the bike back. Fucking idiot.

That's a case of clear neglect, If my gear slipped while a truck is going by, guess what?  point being, if you kill your customer it's bad for business literally and figuratively.

a Stomp box that breaks the first time you drop it or it gets kicked etc is still worth a third of this pedal.

*IF* these are well built time will tell. Get back to me in 5 years let me know how they are holding up after some gigs.
I've had Crappy Tube screamer 808 break easy or constantly trying to fix another. Good Tube screamers (TS-9) are about $170 dollars new in box, the switches are cheap plastic and they break the first time you drop them...plus to get them sounding decent there's at least an additional $70 worth of analog man parts to install. so for a modified Tube screamer you're grand total would be around $240 more or less that's $60 less than a pessimiser not counting Tax. 

If those red knobs are $3.50 each, and the DPDT switches are about $12-24 and it's wired true bypass, I'll trade you my Tube muff for one of these any day. Not even because I like the sound, but because it says Melvins on it and it's limited AF!

Once is enough.

Rest assured it's a solid investment for a pedal at $300 if it's rugged. 

$300 because they are Limited boutique items, lest a thing of imperfection. It's possibly the coolest thing the band has ever put out as a Melvins brand product.  8) 8) 8)

Hence why the manufacturer immediately sent out a battery connector coupling. No harm no foul says I

You can buy a bag of 9 volt battery snaps at Rat shack for like 8 Dollars so maybe if you made a real stink you're entitled to a *whopping* refund.  :nerd:

PS.

I'll bet you this is the inspiration behind the Treble knob "HIGH AF" reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEW-j_OLh5U

))))((((

I watched the "Ted talks" video last night. I know next to nothing about gear and guitars and honestly couldn't really tell the difference very much between all the different settings. I think for something like that you have to have a very keen ear for picking up variations and in detecting the subtle changes.

DeeSonyaChin

Dude, that high AF video made me cry. I watched it twice back to back.  :lol:

jules

Man, it's a good thing I didn't see this thread, or any of those pedals at the merch table in Portland.... not saying they were *not* there, just that I didn't see 'em...  #-o

Dumpster D

Is the logo actually a baby deer fart killing a giant snake about to eat said baby deer?  :lol:

That sounds like a dictionary definition of compression to me!  8)

Quote from: Dumpster D on September 17, 2019, 11:28:40 AM
Is the logo actually a baby deer fart killing a giant snake about to eat said baby deer?  :lol: