Author Topic: Embrace the Rub video  (Read 5880 times)

Online black stallion

• MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

))))((((

Re: Embrace the Rub video
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2018, 06:16:22 AM »
Have you guys seen some of the comments on this video?

"For the first time ever I gotta say a Melvins tune actually totally sucks."

"they keep getting worse"

"Jesus what’s happened to this band"

I have to say, it's difficult to disagree. The Melvins we knew and considered badass quite simply don't exist anymore. They are NEVER going to get great again. They are still putting out somewhat interesting releases of course but don't expect anything amazing. This is the Melvins now - multiple releases featuring a glut of tame, lazy, embarrassing, filler songs. It won't feel quite so special to say to someone you are a Melvins fan nowadays. They have gone the way of all great bands - their legacy tarnished and the output a shadow of past glories.

Offline meezer

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • Looking for vocalists
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2018, 07:10:59 AM »
Have you guys seen some of the comments on this video?

"For the first time ever I gotta say a Melvins tune actually totally sucks."

"they keep getting worse"

"Jesus what’s happened to this band"

I have to say, it's difficult to disagree. The Melvins we knew and considered badass quite simply don't exist anymore. They are NEVER going to get great again. They are still putting out somewhat interesting releases of course but don't expect anything amazing. This is the Melvins now - multiple releases featuring a glut of tame, lazy, embarrassing, filler songs. It won't feel quite so special to say to someone you are a Melvins fan nowadays. They have gone the way of all great bands - their legacy tarnished and the output a shadow of past glories.
You wanna hear some sonic suckage just wait a couple more years or decades for that dumb Tool album you keep pining for!  :twisted:
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

Offline Colonel Cheese

• former bassist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2018, 07:38:25 AM »
I don't understand the hate or the dislike. The only Melvins records I don't listen to on the regular are Prick, Colossus... and Chicken Switch. I love them all! My only "beef" with this new record is that I think it's going to be too short (not enough for me, but when it comes to these guys I'm greedy) and I'll be stuck waiting again for their next new one. I'm sure I'll still listen the shit out of my copy of it. Melvins are still one of the best groups!!!

Offline Topaz

• Fears SNIVLEM
  • Denigrater
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2018, 08:22:49 AM »
Also, is it just me or does this sound like a bit of a mess truth be told.

I agree. It does sound like a mess. I was disappointed with Moving to Florida (I like Stop though).

This new album just might turn out to be filler to hold us over until their other 2018/2019 CD release -- whenever that may be.

Online black stallion

• MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2018, 09:11:58 AM »
Melvins are still one of the best groups!!!

no doubt about that. Melvins can do whatever they want if you ask me.. even tracks like this new one  :)
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

))))((((

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2018, 09:28:00 AM »
You wanna hear some sonic suckage just wait a couple more years or decades for that dumb Tool album you keep pining for!
I know you are having a bit of a playful prod there and that's cool. But seriously putting Tool out of the equation for a moment, let's get real - is this song or the majority of Melvins material the last 8 years or so been all that great? Sure there have been some wonders but there have also been a good few stinkers and mis-steps too.

Despite how i frame my disappointment about these things, i must say i feel really conflicted on this matter. Part of me respects the band for doing what the hell they want - in taking risks and not repeating their past. Yet a big part of me laments their diminished efforts. For my money, they have always been a little wayward at times even on some of the masterpiece albums but still they never put out anything bad. The last 8 years or so have been a difficult period. Granted it's been a lot of fun getting excited about all the new releases and projects but none of them have inspired me much beyond thinking "that's good".

The truly sad thing is Buzz can still write excellent songs!! I would forgive it if they had just lost it completely but they haven't. 'This Machine Kills Artists' clearly showed that Buzz can still craft a mean song. That he is wonderfully consist there. It is what happens when the song gets translated from mere song to a full blown, recorded track. Also the insistence on covering stupid, infantile songs.

With every new record i listen to it. I enjoy each on some level but i don't get carried away. A bit disappointed and underwhelmed i foolishly always think "im sure their next album will be better" or "im sure the next record will be awesome" only to find myself in the same place again listening to the next effort. If we took all the good songs recorded over the last 8 years and compiled them together it would be a fucking great Melvins release. As much as i love new releases. I do wish they would slow down and concentrate on putting out a single, solid record. Not in releasing everything they commit to the digital ether.

I don't understand the hate or the dislike.
I don't hate it. I just wish for something better. Something more fitting for a band i consider a truly special, important act.

Offline meezer

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • Looking for vocalists
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2018, 09:52:44 AM »
The Melvins are making pop songs and following their whimsy and working with a bassist who seems to turn off roughly half their fan base, yes yes yes....

But if you're just a fan of music in general like I am this is a good thing. If you're a whiny doom metal fan who demands everyone keeps their arms and legs inside their doom metal cars on the doom metal rollercoaster at all times, I can certainly see how this is a bad thing. But don't worry because Sleep, Electric Wizard and idk, Boris will collectively keep churning out about one album a decade to satiate your appetite for that type of stuff.
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

))))((((

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2018, 09:57:47 AM »
I know you like to paint this picture of me being ONLY into doom or what have you, but it's not about making heavy or droning songs. Like i said above - Buzz's solo record was a resoundingly brilliant album. Is there anything typically doomy or heavy there? No, and it's the best thing he has been involved with since (A)SA. The only thing they have put out since then that gets even close to that was Freak Puke.

Offline blacksanta

• speaks bocce
    • View Profile
    • http://www.whitehouse.org
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2018, 12:29:25 PM »
I agree somewhat with ))))((((. The last two albums I enjoyed straight through were Bride and Bulls. I could probably do without 1/3rd to 1/2 the songs on all of the subsequent releases. They have some of their best work but there are a lot of tunes that are pretty meh FOR ME. After a few spins I find myself listening to a few songs rather than the whole album. On the other hand,  I like that they have hit the "crazy grandpa workin' in the shop for fun" phase and seem to be having a good time, so good for them. I'll still buy the shit and go to the shows :) It's now a life ritual for me.
Also melvins is gay cuz some of their songs are just noise, i tell you this so you all don't buy albums and find out only one two songs is good on them.

))))((((

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2018, 02:06:36 PM »
Listened to it once, liked it. Piano!
Im curious. Has there ever been another Melvins song with piano involved before? I can't think of one right now but surely there has right?

Offline (PAUL)

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • YEAH
    • View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2018, 02:59:58 PM »
Im curious. Has there ever been another Melvins song with piano involved before? I can't think of one right now but surely there has right?
The only one that comes to mind is that song on Singles 1-12, what is it, Fast Forward?

It sounds like most of you are not embracing the rub, and that perhaps Linoleum was correct in his assumption on our opinions on this upcoming release.
Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

Offline (the) Razor

• Handler
  • Told you girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2018, 03:57:33 PM »
Yeah nah Melvins have lost me on this one.

I think the "crazy grandpa in the workshop/studio" phase just about sums it up perfectly... :lol:

Still the best live band going around though.
Don't click this

Offline (the) flutter nuts

• watches fox red eye
  • We're in the middle of a shitstorm here Randy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2018, 04:31:17 PM »
I fucking LOVE this song
I got the shits real bad.

Offline Chief Ten Beers

• Handler
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2018, 04:41:49 PM »

Prig, from The Bootlicker. Now the negative reaction makes me really want to sneak peek this, but I can wait 3 wks. I have plenty to listen to new/old until then. It seems in the last 5 yrs, the "metal" crowd has more or less been annoyed w/ the Melvins output lately. I love where they're at these days. But this is coming from a diehard Zappa/Beefheart/Primus fan here. :lol: