10 Albums that made Buzz

Started by ))))((((, April 17, 2018, 11:55:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilduclo

On The Corner! Great pick, but no wonder no one could drum like that. OTC is one of the most complex percussive albums EVER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIqXprCArdo

glen

I'm guessing most MELVINS fans under the age of 30 are saying "what is half of that prehistoric shit?". 
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

Buttcakefred

Dang, fun house not making the cut these days?

Chief Ten Beers

Great picks, especially Miles, ZZ Top, Stones, Neil, Bowie. Those are some of my favorite albums by those artists too. I was wearing my Zuma shirt yesterday.

It's neat how everyone gets something different from On The Corner. I've never thought of it as a "dual drum-centric" album, but yeah, it sure is. Miles never toured live w/ two drummers, but that album definitely has dual everything - drums, keys, guitars, saxes. In fact nobody really knew who played what on that album until the internet, and when the CD reissues/Complete Sessions box set came out.

John Schuller

On The Corner is one fucking mindblowing album. Huge fan of that album. And Tres Hombres. What a good list.

Mints

That really is a good list. I'd like another one as I have to assume there's Funkadelic and Beefheart on it. And I've always wondered what Buzz thinks about Monk, the greatest musician ever.

spunkmonkey

Quote from: Mints on April 17, 2018, 05:52:18 PM
That really is a good list. I'd like another one as I have to assume there's Funkadelic and Beefheart on it. And I've always wondered what Buzz thinks about Monk, the greatest musician ever.

More of a Trane man myself, but can't go wrong with Monk.

amazonAMAZON

At either the troubador or echo last tour they played On the corner before Melvins went on and I was so thrilled I worried I'd feel spent before they started playing. Can't get enough of the bass and percussion on that record.

Chief Ten Beers

I would bet Buzz has been exposed to Monk, likely thru Trevor and blasted in the van across country. Buzz has name-checked "Maggot Brain", & "The Spotlight Kid/Clear Spot" in past interviews several times. I've always wondered what Mike Watt thinks of Miles & Zappa, and what his favorite albums/eras are. Dude always references Beefheart & Coltrane, never really Miles & FZ.

Mints

Quote from: spunkmonkey on April 17, 2018, 06:27:36 PM

More of a Trane man myself, but can't go wrong with Monk.

Yeah, it's no accident that Coltrane has plenty of space on my shelf. He blows me away. I think it might be the percussive nature of the piano that I'm thinking of. When Dale plays Eye Flys and it sounds like the drums are falling down the stairs - rhythmically! - I always think of Monk. In fact, I'd honestly go so far as to say that if the Melvins don't like Monk there's something fundamentally wrong with the world. It really wouldn't make any musical sense.

Tobias

Zuma" is my favorite electric Neil album. I couldn't have said it better
Have you ever only eaten what's alive?

DToxico

They played stuff from On the Corner over the PA system when I saw the boys live in Providence a couple years ago. I first got into that album years ago because Michael Gira from Swans is also a fanboy who says it hugely influenced his style, and it makes perfect sense that Buzz would love it as well.

(PAUL)

Never heard them playing On the Corner but heard Bitches Brew over the PA a few years ago before they went on.
Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.