Melvins Join Cheap Trick and Walsby gets stuck moving the gear.

Started by GrimReaper, May 26, 2018, 03:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

conanneutron

Cheap Trick is awesome, and I know for a fact that Buzz and Dale (as I imagine Steve is too) are huge, huge fans.
This is a big deal.

If you can listen to those first two Cheap Trick records and not be on board, well... i guess you don't really like rock 'n roll.
Don't get me wrong they have some junk too, but when they are on... they are fucking *ON*.

First thing Dale said to me when we were talking about doing Secret Friends is that some of it reminded me of Cheap Trick. I took that as a huge compliment.
rocker, talker, etc.

Conan Neutron & the Secret Friends
Neutron/Ash/Crover (yes... THAT Crover.)

Rusty Shackleford

Yep.  Tom's bass guitar sound is one of the biggest ever.  King of the 12-string.  A lot of what sounds like rhythm guitar is his bass guitar. 

Everybody in the band is killer at what they do.  Great stories out there from the guy who produced their big albums about how bad ass they were when cutting those records.  Rick had perfect pitch, which is rare, Bunny's still a groovin metronome...  I'd throw Robin in there with any front man's voice, and it's still strong as hell...

JUDY

Such a great show!!!!!! We drove down on a whim and got a hotel a few blocks away from the venue. On our walk down, it was obvious another "big event" was going on. Wait, why is everyone wearing either a) a bathing suit with fishnet tights or b) assless chaps with tie-dye shirt - or no shirt at all?!?!?  :shock: Oh, Poison is in town. Ok.

So we go to the venue, buy our merch (fyi the bullhead vinyl sold out that night if that has not been updated anywhere else - but we got one and everything else  :cheers:) and we still got time to walk it back to our hotel. Same bullshit going on outside, only it is escalating. Whatever, it was so funny to see.

Get to the gig and All Souls plays for about a 40 minutes. They were really good, but I get so anxious before Melvins play I did not enjoy it a as much as I would have liked. It was a combo of sitting in the car for so long, and I was ready. Mighty Melvins come out and just kill it, as always. The set list really accommodates to the dual bass, and was so obviously carefully schemed and planned.

Dale is always so warm and friendly to us, such a nice guy. We met with them after the show and he shared the full story on how he is acquainted with the drummer from cheap, and reached out to play a song. My favorite parts is how happy and excited they all were, and just thinking about that crowd we passed by outside who had no idea what in the blazes was going on when that happened.....one of the many reasons why I love the melvins so much. We all looked at the wiki to figure out the last time the melvins were in KC --- it had been a while!!! Last date was in the 90s, I forget the exactments of it, look at the wiki if you want. Anyway.... mid-convo Buzz randomly looks up, and goes, whoa! is that danny carey?! I got a goodbye hug (so special) ....and hey.... that is my story

KC has a toys and miniature museum that we checked out!! Super cool!!!

Oh, and Pinkus calls me doll, which is pretty much the best  :love:
But I am sure he says that to alllll the ladies. I really like that guy a lot

beaver

deatheats

Sweet!  Must have been a blast for Buzz & the boys!

I got lucky and caught them in Vegas randomly doing Sgt. Pepper's in its entirety...damn, that was 8 years ago...

http://www.themelvins.net/forum/index.php?topic=13873.msg304319#msg304319