crowd work record / Plainfield / cowboy

Started by amazonAMAZON, May 26, 2018, 07:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amazonAMAZON

In comedy you have artists like Don Rickles who have developed a crowd work routine. Their jokes are written to be reactions to common crowd interactions, plus improvisation.

I know Don Rickles put out a few albums like that, as has Harland Williams. Todd Barry toured a crowd work set. I think either Todd Barry or Dave Attell also has a crowd work special.

I'd love to see the Melvins do a whole album / tour of crowd work songs. I don't know exactly how it would work. But I think of "Montreal" and something else on Prick and maybe Tora Tora Tora or Singles 1-12.

The things an audience does are usually clap, cheer, chant and maybe stomp. But I bet if it were creatively done an audience could also do a variety of things like hum, snap, sneer, shriek, cough, etc.

This could be a terrible idea. I wish I were a billionaire so I could throw some money at them to find out.

Justafilthylurker

Isn't this that obscure "cowboy" split they did? I'm going totally off Mark Prindle's description, never heard it

meezer

I mean jeez. They play the same set list every night for months. You honestly think they'd throw caution to the wind and do this stuff?  =;
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

GrimReaper

There used to be a thread "the World according to King Buzzo". We transcribed recordings of Buzz talking to the crowd. Him addressing the crowd is obscure, but it certainly has happened frequently over the years. The Capitol Hill block Party comes to mind.

Anyway, some of the transcriptions were deleted during the purge.

jules

Quote from: Justafilthylurker on May 29, 2018, 02:33:58 PM
Isn't this that obscure "cowboy" split they did? I'm going totally off Mark Prindle's description, never heard it
Yeah, Cowboy is the best to date. Melvins on one side - between-song rants about stage diving building up to a hilarious finale. Smelly Mustafa (Plainfield) on the other side, ranting and raving. Released on Smelly's label; there's usually plenty available on Discogs from around $20.

amazonAMAZON

Yes, Chief Ten Beers, probably along the lines of that Zappa excerpt, but maybe more a prepared piece?

I guess I'm sort of imaging Eggnog as a choose your own adventure piece driven off a cliff by a bus full of monkeys.

Mecha Mummy Jr.

There's a well-traveled, sorta Internet famous bootleg of nothing but funny but terrible stage patter from Paul Stanley called Let Me Get This Off My Chest. I wouldn't be too surprised if Buzz or Dale owned a physical copy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1-cH1voT8w

The one time I saw the Melvins in Minneapolis I was mildly disappointed Buzz didn't have anything smartassed to say, not because like, he owed it to me, but Buzz can be funny; I told the "What's he eating, a faberege egg?!" story (we were discussing Rob Zombie and how he's probably a bigger star than Manson, who he's touring with right now) to a friend the other day and she laughed. Oh well, the performance was on point and I had excellent pizza afterwards.

amazonAMAZON

Quote from: Mecha Mummy Jr. on July 15, 2018, 11:04:53 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1-cH1voT8w

Thanks! This is awesome and hilarious. Similar to the "Having Fun on Stage with Elvis" albums except those were actually sold commercially by the Colonel at Elvis gigs.

Sounds like "Cowboy" may be the definitive stage banter record. I can't remember if I ever heard this, there was once a big pack of rarities floating around the blogs. It's on my list of "snatch old vinyl when I have the spare cash" that may some day help an old collector pay some bills.

Dumpster D

Quote from: jules on May 30, 2018, 04:42:27 AM
Yeah, Cowboy is the best to date. Melvins on one side - between-song rants about stage diving building up to a hilarious finale. Smelly Mustafa (Plainfield) on the other side, ranting and raving. Released on Smelly's label; there's usually plenty available on Discogs from around $20.

Jules what's the Relationship between Smelly (stupid question but is Smell actually Trey Spruance?) and King Buzzo, PLainfield released numerous Seven inches and I heard that Smelly was Roadie for the Melvins for a time and Buzz Has some credit on plainfield here and there along with many other well known names... was this around the same time Buzz put something out on his own Label "fuck you" records? and whats up with that Label exactly?

PS. Jules, If you ever want to trade some music, I'd really love to have a copy of all the plainfield stuff because they're awesome. I had a couple Cassettes taped off the seven inches I had about four of them, but the tapes AWOL for years with a lot of things...when you have a massive Cassette collection things tend to disappear from time to time...whether or not thats "friends" helping themselves, you know?

John Schuller

Quote from: Dumpster D on July 16, 2018, 03:16:40 PM
Quote from: jules on May 30, 2018, 04:42:27 AM

Jules what's the Relationship between Smelly (stupid question but is Smell actually Trey Spruance?) and King Buzzo, PLainfield released numerous Seven inches and I heard that Smelly was Roadie for the Melvins for a time and Buzz Has some credit on plainfield here and there along with many other well known names... was this around the same time Buzz put something out on his own Label "fuck you" records? and whats up with that Label exactly?

PS. Jules, If you ever want to trade some music, I'd really love to have a copy of all the plainfield stuff because they're awesome. I had a couple Cassettes taped off the seven inches I had about four of them, but the tapes AWOL for years with a lot of things...when you have a massive Cassette collection things tend to disappear from time to time...whether or not thats "friends" helping themselves, you know?

I can tell you that Smelly is not Trey. I have had dinner with both at the same time. Smelly is a real estate agent in Hawaii.

jules

Quote from: Dumpster D on July 16, 2018, 03:16:40 PM

Smelly is Jeff and now lives and works in Hawaii in real estate. He had multiple copies of Plainfield's singles and LPs for sale via Discogs, but I see that's no more now. Either he's changed his user name (Lucky Come Hawaii) or he's selling via somewhere else. I think he roadied for Melvins and had a hand in the production and sales of merch at the gigs. Dale has drummed with Plainfield on tour and is on at least one of their singles (uncredited).

Buzz produced and put out their single on his label (Fuck You); they're still easy to find and cheap.

I sold most of my vinyl a couple of years ago, including the entire Plainfield collection. The split with Melt Banana was the hardest one to find, but someone from MB still had one and I got theirs.  8)

I always thought one of the Sing Sing Laugh Laugh songs should have been on the Juno soundtrack.

Send Jeff an email.

http://www.smellymustafa.com/

http://www.rockinvan.com/smelly.html

Dumpster D

I wasn't sure who smelly was but I swore Trey was involved at one point or another.

So I should E-mail him (smelly) to ask if He's got anything left for sale still?

(I was hoping someone could make me a cassette tape and trade me for something in return)

It's cool Dale played with them.

They remind me of Faxed head in a lot of ways as a band (Not musically)...But as an obscure thing you'd miss and never know it was even there if you weren't paying attention.

John Schuller

Trey did play with Plainfield for a bit. I saw Plainfield with Trey open for Melvins in 1993. It was amazing!

meezer

"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix