Author Topic: Melvins article in Psychology Today - 26 Sep 2017  (Read 1428 times)

Offline bUTTHOLEmAN

• Global Moderator
  • MITROWSKI!!!
  • Hang Ten Brah
    • View Profile
Re: Melvins article in Psychology Today - 26 Sep 2017
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2018, 12:16:37 PM »
Also, being a Melvins fan in spite of Buzz? Come on.
I agree he can be a bit too stuck up, but he's still a huge inspiration.
If he wasn't who he is, Melvins wouldn't be Melvins, so that's a really silly thing to say.
One has to be stubborn to get to certain things in life.
I don't see anything wrong with aspiring to not to take shit from anyone, work hard, and learn on others' mistakes.

That's all true but it can get a bit much with Buzz sometimes. I understand that mindset of his is in large part due to the band's early days when they were rejected by their local scene and they especially Buzz developed a steely resolve in that they 'knew' they were right and everyone else (their scene) was wrong. There's also a lot of a punk DIY mentality in there too go out and do what you want fuck the establishment (major record labels etc).

That doggedness and single minded mentality permeates his interviews it's clearly a large part of what drives him and keeps him going but I do think his taking shots at other bands/artists over the years (speaking the truth as he would see it) has also hurt them and burnt a number of bridges. Not just Dave Grohl Buzz had a falling out with Patton at one point where they didn't speak for a few years despite being on his label then all the bass players they've gone through too.

It's the negativity and/or taking shots at other bands that I've never liked with his interviews. He's not as bad as he used to be with that stuff these days and that's probably age.
Good observations. He's definitely toned it down within the last ten years.
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

Offline glen

• Global Moderator
  • MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
    • www.glenisabanana.com
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2018, 08:59:08 AM »
If he wasn't who he is, Melvins wouldn't be Melvins, so that's a really silly thing to say.
I don't see anything wrong with aspiring to not to take shit from anyone, work hard, and learn on others' mistakes.

That's all true but it can get a bit much with Buzz sometimes. I understand that mindset of his is in large part due to the band's early days when they were rejected by their local scene and they especially Buzz developed a steely resolve in that they 'knew' they were right and everyone else (their scene) was wrong. There's also a lot of a punk DIY mentality in there too go out and do what you want fuck the establishment (major record labels etc).

That doggedness and single minded mentality permeates his interviews it's clearly a large part of what drives him and keeps him going but I do think his taking shots at other bands/artists over the years (speaking the truth as he would see it) has also hurt them and burnt a number of bridges. Not just Dave Grohl Buzz had a falling out with Patton at one point where they didn't speak for a few years despite being on his label then all the bass players they've gone through too.

It's the negativity and/or taking shots at other bands that I've never liked with his interviews. He's not as bad as he used to be with that stuff these days and that's probably age.

there is a bitterness that lingers I think from Dale and Buzz both.  they say "what can I do about negative reviews?  nothing! so fuck 'em!" (for example)  but then notice how quickly they both go on the defense when someone says their album sucks.   moreso with Dale it seems.  he seems a little edgy and almost confrontational about it.      look what happened here a few years ago.  we all almost got banned for having the nerve express an opinion that wasn't "EVERYTHING THEY DO IS GOLD!".     and whatever..  I get pissed off when someone critiques my hard work too.      they're just one of those bands.  either you get it or you don't.        they aren't doing anything that is exposing them to new audiences at this point so I'm not even sure why critique is relevant.  you and I will eat it up regardless.  in fact we'll probably be even more drawn to bad reviews because that kind of what MELVINS are about.     
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
 (signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

Offline bUTTHOLEmAN

• Global Moderator
  • MITROWSKI!!!
  • Hang Ten Brah
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2018, 09:15:31 AM »

there is a bitterness that lingers I think from Dale and Buzz both.  they say "what can I do about negative reviews?  nothing! so fuck 'em!" (for example)  but then notice how quickly they both go on the defense when someone says their album sucks.   moreso with Dale it seems.  he seems a little edgy and almost confrontational about it.      look what happened here a few years ago.  we all almost got banned for having the nerve express an opinion that wasn't "EVERYTHING THEY DO IS GOLD!".     and whatever..  I get pissed off when someone critiques my hard work too.      they're just one of those bands.  either you get it or you don't.        they aren't doing anything that is exposing them to new audiences at this point so I'm not even sure why critique is relevant.  you and I will eat it up regardless.  in fact we'll probably be even more drawn to bad reviews because that kind of what MELVINS are about.     
Yep. I remember that period. Who takes over a fan site, and starts deleting comments they don't like? Insanity.
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

Offline Bigval

• godfather of grunge
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2018, 09:55:36 AM »
Yep. I remember that period. Who takes over a fan site, and starts deleting comments they don't like? Insanity.

Are you guys able to elaborate at all as I have no idea about what you're talking about? Are you implying Dale joined/took over the forum and started deleting any perceived negative comments?

Offline ))))((((

• godfather of grunge
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2018, 10:11:44 AM »
Are you guys able to elaborate at all as I have no idea about what you're talking about? Are you implying Dale joined/took over the forum and started deleting any perceived negative comments?
As far as i know, it WASN'T Dale (or Buzz) specifically. It was HAZE who did the deleting. Buzz and Dale just read the comments and decided to get HAZE in to the wield the banhammer. Also apparently discussions were had on whether to remove the board completely. Im still somewhat surprised they didn't pull the plug in the end.

Offline black stallion

• MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2018, 11:49:18 AM »
damn, i might have been banned by Dale?  :shock:
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Offline glen

• Global Moderator
  • MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
    • www.glenisabanana.com
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2018, 11:55:55 AM »
damn, i might have been banned by Dale?  :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

a badge of honor to be sure.
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
 (signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

Offline Bigval

• godfather of grunge
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2018, 09:54:45 PM »
As far as i know, it WASN'T Dale (or Buzz) specifically. It was HAZE who did the deleting. Buzz and Dale just read the comments and decided to get HAZE in to the wield the banhammer. Also apparently discussions were had on whether to remove the board completely. Im still somewhat surprised they didn't pull the plug in the end.

Damn that's pretty crook. Nothing worse than overly sensitive 'rock stars' it's unedifying. On Blabbermouth Sebastian Bach who used to be the singer in Skid Row would sometimes appear in the comments and start challenging posters to fist fights. Just so pathetic. Difference being on BB they're making fun of them on here a Melvins fan forum I highly doubt people were paying out Buzz or Dale. Not good not good at all.

In the the mid-late 90's I used to be a big fan of Silverchair and maybe 5-6 years ago after they had 'gone on hiatus' for a laugh I joined the band's official forum only 1-2 guys on there mainly just 5-6 diehard fangirls and if you ever posted anything that didn't show the band's members in a positive light like news articles of the guys getting up to trouble after big nights on the town they would all jump on you.

Daniel the singer/guitarist shut down the forum in late 2014 about a week later he was in the news having to go to court for a drink driving charge and then a few months after that he finally released his solo album he had been working on for 8 years. Clearly didn't want any negative PR effecting the big release we can't have that no no. Piss weak.

Offline Pringles

• merch vulture
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2018, 10:19:13 PM »

What year was that? I come here since 2003 and I dont recall that period at all.
Luck is a residue of design

Offline ))))((((

• godfather of grunge
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2018, 02:16:12 AM »

What year was that? I come here since 2003 and I dont recall that period at all.
2012. It was right at the time when 'The War On Wisdom' was previewed prior to The Bulls & The Bees EP. That was the song that garnered a bit of dislike here and kicked off proceedings.

Offline vince furnier

• sun ra was right
  • see my only mind explode, when I've gone insane!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2018, 06:15:43 AM »

2012. It was right at the time when 'The War On Wisdom' was previewed prior to The Bulls & The Bees EP. That was the song that garnered a bit of dislike here and kicked off proceedings.

I hated the song when the video came out and now I like it a lot. I like the rest of Bulls & The Bees better tho.
Welcome to my Nightmare!

"uh no, but we do know that meezer is vince furnier" - brian

Offline aeustin

• knows moss
  • Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2018, 06:38:28 AM »
lmao @ haze being the hired gun for the Melvins.
Wake up to yourself before you die
The truth is hard but it's easy to lie

Offline ))))((((

• godfather of grunge
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2018, 09:38:45 AM »
Nah, Haze didn't like some of the posts and just deleted them.
Remember, it wasn't just posts that got deleted there for a while. Perhaps someone else was involved also but Haze definitely "removed" a few people here. Temporarily as it was of course.

Offline GrimReaper

• MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2018, 12:02:09 PM »

Has any one else not received their purchases from the Leona Gallery show? Asking for the Psychology teacher.

Offline PepsiMike

• merch vulture
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2018, 01:33:40 PM »

Has any one else not received their purchases from the Leona Gallery show? Asking for the Psychology teacher.
You should have it by now.