Author Topic: Melvins article in Psychology Today - 26 Sep 2017  (Read 1437 times)

Offline DToxico

• INDEEEEEED
    • View Profile
Re: Melvins article in Psychology Today - 26 Sep 2017
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2018, 07:22:46 AM »
Also, being a Melvins fan in spite of Buzz? Come on.
I agree he can be a bit too stuck up, but he's still a huge inspiration.
If he wasn't who he is, Melvins wouldn't be Melvins, so that's a really silly thing to say.
One has to be stubborn to get to certain things in life.
I don't see anything wrong with aspiring to not to take shit from anyone, work hard, and learn on others' mistakes.

That's all true but it can get a bit much with Buzz sometimes. I understand that mindset of his is in large part due to the band's early days when they were rejected by their local scene and they especially Buzz developed a steely resolve in that they 'knew' they were right and everyone else (their scene) was wrong. There's also a lot of a punk DIY mentality in there too go out and do what you want fuck the establishment (major record labels etc).

That doggedness and single minded mentality permeates his interviews it's clearly a large part of what drives him and keeps him going but I do think his taking shots at other bands/artists over the years (speaking the truth as he would see it) has also hurt them and burnt a number of bridges. Not just Dave Grohl Buzz had a falling out with Patton at one point where they didn't speak for a few years despite being on his label then all the bass players they've gone through too.

It's the negativity and/or taking shots at other bands that I've never liked with his interviews. He's not as bad as he used to be with that stuff these days and that's probably age.
Good observations. He's definitely toned it down within the last ten years.

there is a bitterness that lingers I think from Dale and Buzz both.  they say "what can I do about negative reviews?  nothing! so fuck 'em!" (for example)  but then notice how quickly they both go on the defense when someone says their album sucks.   moreso with Dale it seems.  he seems a little edgy and almost confrontational about it.      look what happened here a few years ago.  we all almost got banned for having the nerve express an opinion that wasn't "EVERYTHING THEY DO IS GOLD!".     and whatever..  I get pissed off when someone critiques my hard work too.      they're just one of those bands.  either you get it or you don't.        they aren't doing anything that is exposing them to new audiences at this point so I'm not even sure why critique is relevant.  you and I will eat it up regardless.  in fact we'll probably be even more drawn to bad reviews because that kind of what MELVINS are about.     

Good observations. For how little they claim to care, they sure seem to get hung up on certain things; like how it seemed like Buzz was bringing up the KISS or Metallica fan controversies seemingly every interview for a while to defend his positions while also talking about how nobody should defend their positions.

Also agree about the bashing other artists thing. Always thought it was bizarre how for years he seemed to abruptly start complaining about Marilyn Manson in every other interview and claiming he sucks because he apologized for ripping up a bible in the 90s (even though that never happened and he's gone on ripping up bibles even today)

Was unaware of the band-enforced board censorship; as silly as I think some of the complaints here can be at times, that's just an objectively uncool move.

Offline Fureon Nectarmoon

• knows moss
  • RAIN-BOOOOOOW!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2018, 09:10:57 AM »
Everyone straight up ignored my post... ._.

(The last one on page 1)

Offline jules

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • A bad mouth betrays a bad mind
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2018, 11:09:28 AM »
I liked the last line of your post. It reminded me of what I did in my 20s. There were a few people around that it just felt better to ignore rather than to wonder why I didn't get on with them (friends of friends, etc). Never looked back.
'Anything doused in any kind of curry is great.'  -  spunkmonkey

Offline amazonAMAZON

• gardening gloves
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2018, 04:25:26 PM »
The thing is, brilliant songs like You've Never Been Right, or The Fool, The Meddling Idiot come from the same emotional source as what we're talking about.
It's crucial. If it wasn't there, the Melvins' songs just wouldn't sound the way they are.

Totally agree. One of my favorites is "Let It All Be" which sounds like it should be a zen statement, but it really seems to be a direct takedown of a fellow music professional. I grew up in a house with no empathy, where tough love and stoicism were the virtues that hid stubbornness and defensiveness. I had to work through all that as an adult to become someone worth being around. But when I hear the cold condescension and righteousness in some Melvins songs and in Buzz's persona, it does click with something that I'm not allowed to let out in polite conversation. I don't need a mosh pit or a call to rebellion. But a bitter, cryptic missive wrapped in tricky riffs is a thrill I can only get from the Melvins.
"Get up, open the curtains and smell the Melvins." -jules

Offline PepsiMike

• merch vulture
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2018, 12:33:38 PM »
Everyone straight up ignored my post... ._.

(The last one on page 1)
Notice me Senpai!  :lol:

Offline 119

• INDEEEEEED
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2018, 08:55:41 AM »
If they don’t like critics or critiques, then explain how music magazines get advanced copies of their albums?

Offline DToxico

• INDEEEEEED
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2018, 01:13:37 PM »
Because people need to care at least a little bit in order to spend as much time as Buzz does talking about just how much they don't care