Songs that lived a second life on tour?

Started by amazonAMAZON, August 01, 2018, 01:04:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amazonAMAZON

I happened to be reading today about Thou covering "Something in the Way" based on a BBC recording Nirvana did that had a loud/soft+feedback dynamic that supposedly transformed that song.

Wondering - for those of you who've been more shows and heard all the boots- what songs stand out to you as having takenon another life after the album came out. I think "Let It All Be" really escaped the Bootlicker recording pretty much as soon as they played it on stage.

"Eye Flys" obviously breathes a new one every year or so.

A couple of tracks may have grown some bigger muscles like maybe "Hag Me."

Are there any songs, especially not captured on a live album yet, whose definitive version for you is a live version?

))))((((

As regards Melvins, i would perhaps, maybe say that 'Onions Make The Milk Taste Bad' is another song that they jazz up or arrange a bit differently live. Same goes for 'Pigs Of The Roman Empire' too. Both come across even better in performance than they did on record!

Oscar

Good question, I think stuff like Anaconda has gone through so many lyrical perversions that the phrasing just hits harder at this point. Plus, they play it twice as fast by now, which really highlights how structurally weird but catchy that song is.

The Bloat with Kevin was perfect

https://youtu.be/izAc1yvNLwQ

Let God Be Your Gardner original Melvins Lite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSjtEQHBst8&feature=youtu.be&t=153

The Bloated Pope with Jared and Coady

https://youtu.be/Xkjg7KJRLkY

Zodiac with Kevin !!!!

https://youtu.be/HkcIYVrA9pQ

Boris either with Mark in '97 or with Jared and Coady

https://youtu.be/BCdtPDjRHdM

You mentioned Eye Flys, the versions with Trevor to me are definitive. They truly played it the way it's supposed to be played. Lost my shit hearing this live.

https://youtu.be/Me-m5udUq3g?t=160

These picks might not be that crazy in terms of their live arrangements, but I feel like they all captured an essential attitude/flavour/aggression/intricacy/whathaveyou.

DToxico

May not count, especially since they were doing it live long before the Jello albums, but "Halo of Flies" had a rather different feel when I saw them live versus the vibe it has on Sieg Howdy. Felt heavier and more energetic and the vaguely Alice in Chains-y vocal harmonies Steve was pitching in with Buzz gave things sort of a new dimension.

amazonAMAZON

Oscar, I think you really nailed it. I think that 2003 European festival is one of my favorite recorded Melvins performances all around, and you're right "The Bloat" destroys on there. Even better than the rendition on THE END from around the same time with Kevin.

I also love that Ottobar recording of the Melvins Lite. Their rendition of "Let It All Be" on that tour was also so strong.

I love Buzz singing "Halo of Flies." I remember some of it from MLVNSvsMNPLS but I'll have to revisit.

I think what I'm sort of trying to do is something like Ween's Paintin' The Town Brown, a compilation of live renditions from various eras that put songs in a new light or capture special moments.

Maybe we can start a PAINTING THE PIG BLACK compilation. 

(PAUL)

Lovely Butterflies is pretty different live than both studio versions. Hung Bunny has changed quite a bit over the years, now has that much crazier beginning.
Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

Tobias

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on August 01, 2018, 01:04:35 AM
I happened to be reading today about Thou covering "Something in the Way" based on a BBC recording Nirvana did that had a loud/soft+feedback dynamic that supposedly transformed that song.

Wondering - for those of you who've been more shows and heard all the boots- what songs stand out to you as having takenon another life after the album came out. I think "Let It All Be" really escaped the Bootlicker recording pretty much as soon as they played it on stage.

Are there any songs, especially not captured on a live album yet, whose definitive version for you is a live version?
I agree with "Let it All Be". First time I heard that song was live and it was so good and so heavy. It blew my mind. The studio version doesn't really do it for me. Also, it was the first song I ever heard them do live. Olympia 2004 20th Anniversary show
Have you ever only eaten what's alive?

Tobias

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on August 01, 2018, 01:04:35 AM

That Nirvana recording of "Something in the way" for the BBC I actually thought it was Lanegan singing it the first time I heard it
Have you ever only eaten what's alive?

Oscar

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on August 02, 2018, 02:00:33 PM
Oscar, I think you really nailed it. I think that 2003 European festival is one of my favorite recorded Melvins performances all around, and you're right "The Bloat" destroys on there. Even better than the rendition on THE END from around the same time with Kevin.

I also love that Ottobar recording of the Melvins Lite. Their rendition of "Let It All Be" on that tour was also so strong.

Absolutely, I would say Shevil from that set is also definitive. Trevor really brings something unique to the group, I hope he comes back for more.

As far as a compilation, I'm down! That would be a fun deep-dive.

Dumpster D

The Version of Boris on the Live at Third man.

:lol:

"You're in my personal Space!!!"

Oscar

Quote from: Dumpster D on August 06, 2018, 02:12:22 PM

Isn't that off Sugar Daddy?

black stallion

Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Dumpster D

Quote from: Oscar on August 06, 2018, 03:01:30 PM
Quote from: Dumpster D on August 06, 2018, 02:12:22 PM

Isn't that off Sugar Daddy?

Aw man, you're right...from the KARP Sugar daddy...What's the one I'm thinking off the third man..dang.

amazonAMAZON

"Charmicarmicat" off live at third man was pretty epic. Did they play that elsewhere around that time?

(the) Razor

I liked the change they made to Set Me straight when I first saw that live.
Don't click this