Author Topic: new Melvins interview  (Read 3876 times)

Offline Courtney

• former bassist
    • View Profile
    • Courtney Collins
Re: new Melvins interview
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2018, 11:19:34 AM »
immoraliste, BERZERKER, Dumpster D, amazon AMAZON - thanks so much! BERZERKER, I'll tell "Hal" about the Ecumenical discussion.  :D I asked Aaron (Hal) about Neil Hamburger - he didn't actually know about him, but there's a resemblance for sure! A lot of the odd stuff that seems to come out of nowhere in the interview comes from Hal's character who shows up in a bunch of other YouTube series that we do (the first one was called "Chad Vader" - Hal is an odd customer who comes into the grocery store asking for things like goats, ham flakes, etc). But Buzz and Dale were so great at taking all of his strange questions at face value and playing along!

meezer - yeah, we had planned to avoid any Nirvana questions. But I thought the guys would have a clever response if Hal mixed up with Gish with Bleach, and of course they did, so we kept it in.  :D

Offline linoleum blownapart

• godfather of grunge
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2018, 07:36:54 PM »
That was great, light, tight, and bright.

And he has a sweet Trapper Keeper too. 
thrower of the bong water balloons

Offline sadcorps

• descendant of shirley temple
  • Melvins Fan since May 16, 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2018, 08:05:06 PM »
Great interview. I love it when those guys are joking around and having a good time. Excellent work!
"Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself." - Gene Simmons

Offline Oscar

• sun ra was right
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2018, 02:36:24 AM »
Speaking in a broader sense, for me when it comes to interviews i prefer serious inquiry and not tomfoolery and japes as is often the case with Melvins interviews. Something that bugs me about that is that even when someone interviews the band in a serious manner, they will fuck around and get all silly rendering the interview itself pointless. I kinda hate Buzz and Dale for that every time. I want serious musicians God damn it! As a fan i want insight and revelation into their music not stupid in-jokes and attempts to belittle or make fun of the interviewer.

I'm not sure what you mean here. I can point you to a couple dozen Melvins interviews from the last year and beyond that seriously discuss what they're up to and into. Matter of fact, most interviews are the exact same. Dipping into their love of classic rock, how they package and distribute music, their influences, John Huston comes up pretty much every time... To be honest, I can often anticipate the answer when the question is asked as I think most of us here could. Buzz especially has a lot of go-to lines for those types of questions. And if you're really looking for dry and humourless responses, don't hold your breath for the friggin Melvins to give you that. Also, they have mellowed out way more these days - need I remind you of the "INDEEEEEEED" radio session?

Anyway, Courtney - this was cool! I hope you guys can churn out more of this stuff in the future. I agree on the Neil Hamburgerisms but what the hell, you could be biting a way less interesting style.

))))((((

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2018, 04:47:44 AM »
I must say i am actually kind of perplexed why everyone here enjoys interviews with people "in character". I understand that it might draw an interesting response from the guest, one you might not be able to elicit from them otherwise. That in itself if revealing. But i do wonder to myself - why can't this person be who they are?. Naudwuar for example, he's a legend in what he does but i find him utterly irritating. Admittedly his interviews can be fun but again, i just think to myself that they would be so much more interesting all round if he just dropped the persona and was himself. I find it a shame in a way that people feel the need to BE someone else. That they could only ever be deemed interesting or funny or entertaining adopting a comedic persona. Being anything other than who they are.

I'm not sure what you mean here. I can point you to a couple dozen Melvins interviews from the last year and beyond that seriously discuss what they're up to and into. Matter of fact, most interviews are the exact same. Dipping into their love of classic rock, how they package and distribute music, their influences, John Huston comes up pretty much every time... To be honest, I can often anticipate the answer when the question is asked as I think most of us here could. Buzz especially has a lot of go-to lines for those types of questions.
Agreed on all counts there. I know not all Melvins interviews tip over into ridiculousness some, like you say, can be equally just pretty dull and repetitive. It's not really the band persay but more how the interviews are conducted or maybe they, themselves are not in the mood at the time. I know what Buzz and Dale are like so i never expect anything too serious from them. I expect silliness or off hand remarks to enter the discussion. I just personally wish that wasn't the case. But something is better than nothing regardless.

Offline GrimReaper

• MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2018, 05:38:55 AM »
)))(((, This is the best Melvins interview of all times, just admit that you loved it.

))))((((

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2018, 05:46:54 AM »
)))(((, This is the best Melvins interview of all times, just admit that you loved it.
I didn't NOT enjoy it. I enjoyed it all right. I just wished there wasn't the emphasis on comedy. I feel that on any show, be it a TV chat show, podcast or otherwise, that an interview with a guest is about them and not about the host. Otherwise why even bother having guests at all.

Offline GrimReaper

• MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2018, 06:11:03 AM »
I didn't NOT enjoy it. I enjoyed it all right. I just wished there wasn't the emphasis on comedy. I feel that on any show, be it a TV chat show, podcast or otherwise, that an interview with a guest is about them and not about the host. Otherwise why even bother having guests at all.

OK, I see your point.

Offline Courtney

• former bassist
    • View Profile
    • Courtney Collins
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2018, 12:43:18 PM »
linoleum blownapart, sadcorps oscar, Grim Reaper - thanks, guys! I'm really happy you liked it. We've been doing a lot of stuff with the Hal Thompson character for the past ten years or so, but the interview series is pretty new. It's high praise when fans of the Melvins appreciate it - you guys are the best.  :D

Offline GiveMe45

• H.F.S.P.R.!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2018, 01:56:14 PM »
I just wished there wasn't the emphasis on comedy

You know she did give you pretty fair warning....

Hey! Our comedy channel on YouTube just did a crazy interview with Buzz and Dale

BERZERKER

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2018, 12:32:38 AM »
A gal is on the bbs, lads!!

Offline GrimReaper

• MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2018, 01:46:48 AM »

I wouldn't bet on it Schnab, but go ahead and dream big.

Offline Courtney

• former bassist
    • View Profile
    • Courtney Collins
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2018, 11:37:06 AM »
 :D :D :D

Offline (PAUL)

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • YEAH
    • View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2018, 02:07:54 PM »
Great interview, glad they like High Noon as that's a fantastic venue. Great show that night too!
Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

Offline meezer

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • Looking for vocalists
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2018, 11:14:39 PM »
Two words. Rad Zad.  :lol:
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix