A dark sabbath cometh duuuuuude! HAZE XXL linocut 2018

Started by amazonAMAZON, August 29, 2018, 04:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dumpster D

I agree, Sabbath is the cornerstone of most heavy metal sound, over bands like deep purple...but only where Judas priest gets less love, Iron Maiden has more of a marketing niche for that matter than Priest.

Kids who didn't live the 80's wouldn't think to know the difference of whats what, they didn't see it evolve in real time.

Did they mention Pink floyd at all? I would credit them as being a major influence..but that goes without saying, a lot of bands owe a huge debt to Pink Floyd.

There was a lot of polished glam stuff that got in there and smeared a lot of the focus from some of the grittier more brutal stuff that evolved out of the crossover.

You can hear more Alice cooper influence in Halo of Flies, more stooges sound etc.

Melvins are a lot more cautious about disclosing their influences, but clearly Buzz loves the noise aspect of loud psych rock because it so easily challenged the later stuff in the punk and metal scene even by today's standards.

personally I'd love to hear the Melvins take on Sabbath tunes, anyone with a good pair of ears can appreciate Blues oriented stuff even in a heavy metal context.

Nothing wrong with Sabbath covers, I wouldn't Judge a band for biting sabbath, there's too many bands out there to name who are blatant about it, so what's one more band taking a shot at the sabbath can going to do at this point? I'm sure they'd sell more albums that way...it's a win.

What do you think if they had done Hendrix or blue cheer, kids wouldn't give as big a fuck...who are those guys? right?

Hell most people are deaf and can't tell the difference between anything.

back in highschool, I played melvins for a guy who thought Buzzes vocals sounded like metallica, I laughed...

Maybe...mayyybe...but Only because the guy doesn't know who Corrosion of Conformity is whatsoever, and I'd rate them as a bigger influence on Melvins than Metallica.

I'd say Buzz tends to sound more like Tom From slayer when he's really belting it out.

One thing I will mention is that Buzz IMO is one of the greatest all time vocalists of Heavy metal, hands down...he's maybe a Bulldozer on guitar (which is actually a good thing in this case IMO) he's got some serious bellows on him that is a challenging match, lyrically I find them untouchable, that's their secret formula that encodes a lot of direct meaning and really opens the whole thing up into it's own private little world.

Not this guy

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on August 30, 2018, 09:55:16 AM
Ian, I don't know about that business of it all coming out on an album or CD. Wasn't "Alleged" on AmRep and also a covers collaborative 10" ? Or a variety of "other" collaborative covers on AmRep only vinyl ("Victoria," "Breaking Glass," "In League With Satan," and the rest of the clown series b-sides)

I appreciate that there are these vinyl only releases and I guess eventually hearing crappy rips on youtube is better than never hearing them. But I'm not really getting my hopes up. I might try to get the vinyl to own since the art is awesome and there's no guarantee it'll ever come out any other way. I'll still probably have to wait until it's on youtube or wherever to hear the damn thing.

THIS^
How long has this been out? I've been waiting for proper digital versions of these and my hope is fading.
"Be patient" they said...
Anyway, I think Al would make a great addition to the roster of bass players. I love his playing style and voice.

DToxico

Quote from: Dumpster D on September 05, 2018, 01:58:46 PMback in highschool, I played melvins for a guy who thought Buzzes vocals sounded like metallica, I laughed...

Lol... This acquaintance I've mentioned here before who is really weird about what he chooses to listen to, and hates the Melvins because "all of their decades' worth of songs sound identical" (which, as I've pointed out elsewhere, is an absurd criticism from somebody whose all-time favorite band is Bad Religion) was really impressed when I played "Hooch" and "Honey Bucket" in my car while giving him a ride... but only because he was completely convinced they were Metallica. Once I pointed out who it actually was, suddenly the songs weren't actually all that good or whatever, y'know...

vince furnier

I've heard Black Sabbath (the song) floated around as one of the tracks.  =;

come on. dig deeper. Lord Of This World. Tomorrow's Dream. Symptom Of the Universe. stuff like that.
Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

DToxico

Quote from: vince furnier on September 06, 2018, 10:20:34 AM

come on. dig deeper. Lord Of This World. Tomorrow's Dream. Symptom Of the Universe. stuff like that.

I could picture them putting out a great "Fairies Wear Boots"

also, though I'd take 'good' Sabbath over practically any other metal band any day of the week, I would argue that purely on a good vs. bad albums ratio, Deep Purple beats the hell out of Tony's Boys. I would love a Deep Purple cover one of these days - especially if it's a track from the underrated Rod Evans era.

Captain CoryCory

Quote from: DToxico on September 06, 2018, 02:24:41 PM
Quote from: vince furnier on September 06, 2018, 10:20:34 AM

I could picture them putting out a great "Fairies Wear Boots"

also, though I'd take 'good' Sabbath over practically any other metal band any day of the week, I would argue that purely on a good vs. bad albums ratio, Deep Purple beats the hell out of Tony's Boys. I would love a Deep Purple cover one of these days - especially if it's a track from the underrated Rod Evans era.

I love Sabbath to bits but I have a hard time disagreeing with this. Purple in their prime is as essential as Sabbath. Hell I'd easily take Now What!? over 13 or Perpindicular over most of the Tony Martin output.

Dumpster D

Melvins doing sabbath may not be as straight forward as you would be expecting, it could be fucked...you know what? I'm counting on them to fuck shit up like only the Melvins could.

vince furnier

Quote from: Dumpster D on September 06, 2018, 10:36:46 PM
Melvins doing sabbath may not be as straight forward as you would be expecting, it could be fucked...you know what? I'm counting on them to fuck shit up like only the Melvins could.

remember Dogs And Cattle Prods? that was like Led Zep 3 put in a blender with a sheet of acid.  :mrgreen:

http://www.themelvins.net/forum/index.php?topic=19269.msg492464#msg492464
Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

rimb

Dumpster D

Yeah, back when I was first getting into the band I heard that, It sounds like it's from a rehearsal that got recorded.

It was on a tape I made a million years ago for my drummer, trying to get him into the Melvins...he really loved one or two tracks at least, Like ever since my accident, the part where Buzz goes

YEAAAUUUHHH!!! with crazy drums and guitar solo at the end, The fast version just cracked him up because it's basically insane.

dirtmerchant

Was hoping Into the Void was one of the tracks because this shit here fuckin kills. It's in regular rotation for me. How they slow it down and the groove...something about it. The only other Sabbath cover that comes close is the EP THOU put out. All Sabbath covers. It's some of the heaviest shit I've ever heard. If y'all haven't heard it check it out.

https://youtu.be/8m0QcEv2xwU

Justafilthylurker

Sabbath are both overrated and underrated IMO. I think the best album is the first one where they have no idea what they're doing and its just weird & dark extremely heavy white man blues. Even the proggy 10 minute guitar solo is kind of good!

amazonAMAZON

Paranoid is pretty much untouchable. There's limits to the musicianship, I guess, but the songs and the sound and the sequencing are perfect.

That said, I don't need covers of those songs so anything Sabbath the Melvins choose to do is great by me. I sort of half expect a weird interpretation like Buick McKane or that one split single they only half learned (was it the Velvet Underground, or KISS).

But I also think with Al it's likely to be heavy and dark which is a great thing.

asesino

black stallion

Quote from: vince furnier on September 06, 2018, 11:40:29 PM
Quote from: Dumpster D on September 06, 2018, 10:36:46 PM

remember Dogs And Cattle Prods? that was like Led Zep 3 put in a blender with a sheet of acid.  :mrgreen:

http://www.themelvins.net/forum/index.php?topic=19269.msg492464#msg492464

ah, that song was good
Charmicarmicat:Bastards