A dark sabbath cometh duuuuuude! HAZE XXL linocut 2018

Started by amazonAMAZON, August 29, 2018, 04:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meezer

"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

Dumpster D

meezer

"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

))))((((

Quote from: Dumpster D on September 19, 2018, 07:41:15 PM
Quote from: Stonergrunge on September 19, 2018, 02:28:54 PM
Quote from: Dumpster D on September 19, 2018, 01:06:40 PM
Straight up man, if you don't like it, keep it to yourself.

ehm, Dumpster... this a discussion forum. The whole point of this place is to express our ideas and opinions, not to keep those things just for ourselves.

on a *FAN* forum!

people seem to forget they are fans, not critics.
I don't think anyone here sees themselves as a critic. We are all fans that discuss what we like and what we don't. I know a place such as this will attract a range of different people. Some will be long time hardcore Melvins devotees, some will be casual fans, some may be disenchanted former enthusiasts, some may have only just discovered the band. All these different types of people are music fans and all have a voice. This place should be for all to voice what they think whether it is overwhelmingly positive or generally more critical.

As i see it, you are a very fervent supporter of all things Melvins and that's perfectly fine. Im not expecting or asking you to be otherwise but you can't demand that everyone else follows suit. You can't dictate that this place should be where everyone is 100% positive about EVERYTHING Melvins 100% of the time. That's just not real. I agree wholeheartedly with Stonergrunge, we should ALL be able to talk here about what our ideas and opinions are. There's room for all that. For all perspectives along the spectrum. It's not a sterile, boring, nodding in agreement environment and thank-god it's not.

deatheats

Good points on all sides, nice discussion gents!

I like Dumpsters idea about the difference between fans and critics and also Ian's point that we definitely do not want a stale, only one opinion counts, type of forum. 

Dumpster D

))))((((

Quote from: Dumpster D on September 21, 2018, 02:48:32 AM
Ian, have you ever been to a melvins concert?
I would imagine you know i haven't.

If im reading your train of thought there correctly, i see what you are saying, but i don't think live comes into it when we are talking about RECORDED work. As Buzz himself says those are two different things. If someone was to say they didn't like a certain song that isn't a reflection on the band themselves or them as a live act, merely that song in itself.

For example - as comical as this sounds lets run with it - let's say there was a band that always put on really great, fun shows but their albums were pretty bad or lackluster. Would that mean their recorded work gets a free pass purely on their ability to put on a fun show? Or what about the opposite - is a band that made fantastic albums a bad band if their live performances are drab or unrepresentative?

But back to Melvins, if seeing a band live is the only barometer of their greatness or otherwise, what about the members here who have indeed seen Melvins live countless times (probably more than yourself!) yet they still deem certain parts of their discography as poor or even terrible? Do their opinions still count for nothing?

Oscar

I'll never understand the outraged reactions to any negative comment on the band's output.

That's like me sitting here and getting flustered about somebody liking this song that I happen to dislike.

I've been listening to the Melvins for decades, been on this forum for a number of years and lurked here for many years before that.
I have totaled maybe 5 posts critiquing the Melvins, all of them in my opinion pushing a point of discussion forward despite my dislikes or turn-offs.

No, I don't want them to return to the early 90s when things were better. They weren't.
No, I don't want them to be HEAVIER and turn up the amps and go back to the Les Paul and play slower. The heaviness of this band has nothing to do with distortion or loudness.

Every single time I say anything that doesn't equate to me loving whatever the band is doing, some grumpy dude jumps up with the "APPRECIATE IT OR GET OUT" mindset. That is absolute bullshit to me and decidedly un-Melvins in ethos as well.

As people have pointed out, this is a discussion forum. So as long as I'm interested, I will keep discussing and that also includes things that aren't so great.

would you rather HAVE NO SABBATH COVERS BY MELVINS? OR WHAT?

I'd be ok with that, yeah.

deatheats

Like most good bands the Melvins don't give a fuck what we think, and thank god for that  \:D/

bUTTHOLEmAN

Quote from: deatheats on September 21, 2018, 09:39:14 AM
Like most good bands the Melvins don't give a fuck what we think, and thank god for that  \:D/
*as long as it's nice.
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

glen

Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on September 21, 2018, 10:45:20 AM
*as long as it's nice.

as usual the bUTTHOLEmAN knows his shit. 
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

DToxico

Quote from: Oscar on September 21, 2018, 06:13:52 AM
I'll never understand the outraged reactions to any negative comment on the band's output.

That's like me sitting here and getting flustered about somebody liking this song that I happen to dislike.

I've been listening to the Melvins for decades, been on this forum for a number of years and lurked here for many years before that.
I have totaled maybe 5 posts critiquing the Melvins, all of them in my opinion pushing a point of discussion forward despite my dislikes or turn-offs.

No, I don't want them to return to the early 90s when things were better. They weren't.
No, I don't want them to be HEAVIER and turn up the amps and go back to the Les Paul and play slower. The heaviness of this band has nothing to do with distortion or loudness.

Every single time I say anything that doesn't equate to me loving whatever the band is doing, some grumpy dude jumps up with the "APPRECIATE IT OR GET OUT" mindset. That is absolute bullshit to me and decidedly un-Melvins in ethos as well.

As people have pointed out, this is a discussion forum. So as long as I'm interested, I will keep discussing and that also includes things that aren't so great.

Agree with every word. Though maybe it isn't as "un-Melvins" as one would think considering what was going on here after Bulls and the Bees came out...

deatheats

Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on September 21, 2018, 10:45:20 AM
*as long as it's nice.

Heh, kinda true.
I should have said, nothing we say is impacting what the Melvins decide to record next.

Dumpster D

Quote from: Oscar on September 21, 2018, 06:13:52 AM

Are you Just having a bad week or something?

I would be less ok with the band quitting and retiring than catering to criticism, outrage is hardly the word...Annoyed I would say, and if you don't understand it..There's nothing anyone can do to help you.  It's not just you personally giving me a headache, it's a lot of people over the years coming down on this band where they need to STFU already and be grateful this band is still kicking ass. I'm tired of it. No one comes close to being as good as this band in so many magical ways.

Your name is oscar, yet *I'M* the grouch? What *do* you want from this band? what will satisfy you and make you happy then? sincerely!

Tell you what, explain in greater detail how the drums sound like cardboard, It's Just a Jaded Critique to me. If you're going to rip on this band don't do it with half your ass.

I could listen to it a few more times and give you an idea of where this was recorded and what microphones were possibly used etc, what cymbals and kit were used.

It doesn't sound like it was done in their usual space.

What was your expectation of this cover before you listened?  Hey, Tell me something-  you played it straight off a smart phone didn't you?

PS. Ian, I've been through a few trials trying to get to see the band live a few times. Imagine what these guys have gone through playing thousands of shows all over the world, how hard these guys work, and how incredible and inspiring and rare and special that is?

glen

Dumpster D...      :-k :-k  hhhmmm......     D....      Dumpster DALE.    OH  MY   GOD!!!   :idea: :idea:   it's all so obvious now.    :D
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN