last relevant melvins release...

Started by give up, September 11, 2018, 03:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amazonAMAZON

At risk of feeding a troll, I still think Bulls & Bees is the last totally impeccable, essential Melvins release.

"Sesame Street Meat" and "Onions" and "Don't Forget" and "Crankenstein" and a handful of covers from Sausages deserve a place as essential modern Melvins tracks. Weirdly the part of A Walk with Love and Death I couldn't part with is the LOVE soundtrack disc which I see as one cohesive work.

Everything else may not be "relevant" though it is engaging and impressive and could serve as a good entry point if you didn't have the rest of the catalog to compare.

Chief Ten Beers

"give up" comes on here making a bold, yet retarded claim, yet nothing real to back it up. Ian probably agrees with you. :lol:
My guess is you want to make friends here so someone will eventually care about your band. Thanks for the heads up about your potential endeavor. I'll be sure to avoid at all costs. :P

Dumpster D

Maybe if your sinus wasn't so packed full of Cocaine it was coming out your ears then you could hear something good coming from this band, otherwise what else is your mouth packed full of for that matter.  :merde:

dwr budr

Bigger audience.  Bigger paychecks. ...man, you should toss that opinion out during the next Melvins show at the Aquarium in Fargo North Dakota. While they are loading their own equipment up in rented vans hoping to make it to Souix Falls in time to get some sleep at the next Motel 8. It's cool to have an opinion...I'm glad you are at least talking about the melvins. Just try and make the shit you sling a little more well thought out. Put them down proper!! Make the shit talk funny!!

vince furnier

Welcome to my Nightmare!
inbox is currently 82% full. TEAMWORK MAKES THE DREAM WORK!
"uh no, but we do know that meezer is vince furnier" - brian

))))((((

I think it depends upon what we mean when we say "relevant". All the modern Melvins releases are worthy releases as i see it. Some i don't like very much or feel they are flawed for including certain songs, yet i still deem them of interest in and of themselves. I would somewhat agree with the original comment about (A)SA but for me Nude With Boots is the last (or near to last) Melvins album i absolutely love front to back. No bad or embarrassing filler songs or directions that i don't enjoy. Freak Puke was a VERY close call too. Yet like Deatheats shows, each release since then has featured at the very least a couple of cool songs.

AxelFoley

I pretty much can agree to everything what ))))(((( wrote in the previous post, though I have to say that I like the "Death" side of A Walk With Love And Death nearly as much as NWB. I think the "less challenging" impression you get from the newer Melvins releases can't be completely attributed to Buzz's songwriting, but more to the overall weaker sounding guitar and drums (which is also evident in the new Sabbath cover). The riffs in the songs are still there. As an example, compare the live rendition of "Hideous Woman" to the recorded version... the live one is a lot fiercer and heavier sounding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jgnBYSlCsk

give up

just kinda like being challenged 
ASA killed it due to Jared and Cody in the mix.  Flesh blood and Jared is sooo talented.
Wish they clone that dude
Anyhoo- been a melvins fan since OZMA/EGGNOG era and would die for em.
Melvins have morphed into a tame and quirky group in both sound and stage presence.
I GET IT.
It's real hard for me to watch/take serious sounds when the new bassist prancess and poses with a straight face.  Parody rock.
AND more importantly in the past live i would get a bangover from the brutal and heavy sounds...
Last show a few months back ....no sore neck. :x

ASA swings real hard.  Nudes has a handful of em and then things go ......softer and more user friendly.
Oh we'll....

I am gonna crank Hospital Up on and cherry pick .
Long live Jared and Cody for keeping it heavy.

give up

Quote from: dwr budr on September 12, 2018, 11:24:04 PM
Bigger audience.  Bigger paychecks. ...man, you should toss that opinion out during the next Melvins show at the Aquarium in Fargo North Dakota. While they are loading their own equipment up in rented vans hoping to make it to Souix Falls in time to get some sleep at the next Motel 8. It's cool to have an opinion...I'm glad you are at least talking about the melvins. Just try and make the shit you sling a little more well thought out. Put them down proper!! Make the shit talk funny!!

north dakota  :lol:

glen

Quote from: give up on September 13, 2018, 12:24:12 PM

ok I'll give you Hospital Up.   shit is a jam. 
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

give up

Quote from: glen on September 13, 2018, 12:29:39 PM
Quote from: give up on September 13, 2018, 12:24:12 PM

ok I'll give you Hospital Up.   shit is a jam.

gimme a break! and GimeME45 is one CMF.  That dude rules.

deatheats

I'm just glad the Melvins continue to play the music no one else wants them to.

))))((((

Quote from: deatheats on September 13, 2018, 02:59:35 PM
I'm just glad the Melvins continue to play the music no one else wants them to.
Even though there are some releases i don't really like, i agree with you, it's still ALWAYS fun and exciting to have NEW Melvins albums. Sometimes i lose sight of that whenever a new one disappoints me, but really it's just great to be able to hear this stuff. To think about it and discuss it. I welcome something over nothing every damn time.

deatheats

Quote from: ))))(((( on September 13, 2018, 03:03:53 PM
Even though there are some releases i don't really like, i agree with you, it's still ALWAYS fun and exciting to have NEW Melvins albums. Sometimes i lose sight of that whenever a new one disappoints me, but really it's just great to be able to hear this stuff. To think about it and discuss it. I welcome something over nothing every damn time.

Yup!