Author Topic: last relevant melvins release...  (Read 3667 times)

Offline hemispheres

• sun ra was right
    • View Profile
Re: last relevant melvins release...
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2018, 08:35:01 PM »
He's not saying the Melvins suck or anything.

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• shrimp basket
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2018, 09:58:49 PM »
Sorry to bring this topic down a bit.  I'm not good at interacting in these kind of provocative conversations, my sincerity starts to show... 

I do think a lot of new Melvins sounds more like 70s hard rock than fans or the band are willing to realize.

Are willing to realize?  The band has talked about their love of some bands from the seventies since the beginning, and in pretty much every interview for quite a few years now.  Buzz listens to and talks about Judy Garland albums, not the latest killer THOU album or whatever.  Did you see them on What's in my Bag?  As for fans, most of them are boring assholes who have no idea what Buzz is on about when talks about the nuances of some of his influences.  It goes right over a lot of heads.

Online DToxico

• INDEEEEEED
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2018, 06:47:44 AM »
Sorry to bring this topic down a bit.  I'm not good at interacting in these kind of provocative conversations, my sincerity starts to show... 

I do think a lot of new Melvins sounds more like 70s hard rock than fans or the band are willing to realize.

Are willing to realize?  The band has talked about their love of some bands from the seventies since the beginning, and in pretty much every interview for quite a few years now.  Buzz listens to and talks about Judy Garland albums, not the latest killer THOU album or whatever.  Did you see them on What's in my Bag?  As for fans, most of them are boring assholes who have no idea what Buzz is on about when talks about the nuances of some of his influences.  It goes right over a lot of heads.

Hearing a bunch of annoyed twentysomething hipsters (as well as older metalheads) getting irate and loudly going "what the fuck is this shit" when the PA system cut from Iron Maiden to Miles Davis' "On the Corner" before they took the stage said a lot, lol

Offline ))))((((

• godfather of grunge
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2018, 07:35:22 AM »
The band has talked about their love of some bands from the seventies since the beginning, and in pretty much every interview for quite a few years now.  Buzz listens to and talks about Judy Garland albums, not the latest killer THOU album or whatever.
That's a good point there actually. It all makes me wonder how exactly those earlier Melvins albums came to be. Was it a total fluke that they put out some brilliant records while Buzz actually just wanted to make lighter, more accessible releases all along?

Online vince furnier

• speaks bocce
  • see my only mind explode, when I've gone insane!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2018, 08:00:57 AM »
you people have never seen this before??? really?  =;

band gets old. band gets mellow(er). band gets nostalgic for stuff they grew up listening to. I hope you can follow the plot in movies better than you're following this story arc.  :facepalm:
Welcome to my Nightmare!

"uh no, but we do know that meezer is vince furnier" - brian

Offline hemispheres

• sun ra was right
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2018, 08:26:01 AM »

Are you on their payroll?

I've never even heard Thou, but I have heard a sycophant on a music forum who gets defensive when someone points out that rewriting an early 70s hard rock song isn't the most experimental thing in the world. I enjoy all their records, I'm perfectly fine with the recent tunes that go for Grand Melvins Railroad or whatever - it's good music. My point is fans and the band seem to have an attitude that all their records are Trout Mask Replica, and I just think that's a bit off base. I'm not asking them to change at all.

Offline hemispheres

• sun ra was right
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2018, 08:28:25 AM »

Hearing a bunch of annoyed twentysomething hipsters (as well as older metalheads) getting irate and loudly going "what the fuck is this shit" when the PA system cut from Iron Maiden to Miles Davis' "On the Corner" before they took the stage said a lot, lol

I was actually disappointed I didn't get to hear any electric Miles at my last show, but I at least got treated to some 70s Priest. It would have been hilarious to see the scenario you describe - 500 bearded guys with Charlie Manson tattoos dropping PBRs in unison!

Online vince furnier

• speaks bocce
  • see my only mind explode, when I've gone insane!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2018, 08:33:34 AM »
there have been a handful of concerts in my area where the music before or after a high octane band was something much older/ quieter/ slower or whatever and it's stuck in my mind for decades. no one freaked out either. must just be those damn millennials.  :D
Welcome to my Nightmare!

"uh no, but we do know that meezer is vince furnier" - brian

Offline give up

• Fears SNIVLEM
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2018, 10:27:38 AM »
Add Mark D for some atmosphere, creepy mood whispering stuff i dig!

Mark is a phone call away.

or Jared for some swing!
or Kevin for some swivel hippin'

Online DToxico

• INDEEEEEED
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2018, 10:30:16 AM »
there have been a handful of concerts in my area where the music before or after a high octane band was something much older/ quieter/ slower or whatever and it's stuck in my mind for decades. no one freaked out either. must just be those damn millennials.  :D

Slipknot played stuff from David Bowie's Scary Monsters album during their intermission when I saw them in 2015 or so, and the circa-2004-Hot-Topic-refugees were pretty vexed, that was fun too. Especially since their newest lead single at the time ("The Devil in I") happens to have a very similar-sounding intro to "Fame" so some people started cheering then got really confused.

• shrimp basket
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2018, 03:00:45 PM »

I've never even heard Thou, but I have heard a sycophant on a music forum who gets defensive when someone points out that rewriting an early 70s hard rock song isn't the most experimental thing in the world. I enjoy all their records, I'm perfectly fine with the recent tunes that go for Grand Melvins Railroad or whatever - it's good music. My point is fans and the band seem to have an attitude that all their records are Trout Mask Replica, and I just think that's a bit off base. I'm not asking them to change at all.

Thou is good, check em out.  I think I’m pretty far from a sycophant, just trying to balance out this conversation, and in a small way remind people of who these weird fuckers are who we all enjoy.  Experimenting hasn’t been brought up, nor has it ever been some kind of mission statement from the band.  They were covering The Great ZZ TOP over 30 years ago, in the middle of all the stuff people love, so something like the James Gang cover or all the rest isn’t weird or unexpected in the slightest, to me.  Did you get Everybody Loves Sausages? 

• shrimp basket
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2018, 03:06:38 PM »
you people have never seen this before??? really?  =;

band gets old. band gets mellow(er). band gets nostalgic for stuff they grew up listening to. I hope you can follow the plot in movies better than you're following this story arc.  :facepalm:

For real.  I also really think most people don’t understand what it takes to keep enjoying playing music for your entire adult life.  The vast majority of people in bands get bored or stale after a few years, if that, even if they keep going.  This band laughs, and still stomps around on the terra like few around.  I find that massively impressive, and more so as each year rolls quickly by. 

Offline ))))((((

• godfather of grunge
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2018, 12:44:12 PM »
Thou is good
Correct! Probably the first person other than myself to finally big them up on here. I wasn't personally too much for 'Rhea Sylvia' but both 'Magus' and 'The House Primordial' are excellent releases from them this year!

Offline glen

• Global Moderator
  • MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
    • www.glenisabanana.com
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2018, 12:46:35 PM »
tweet from Ryan Adams regarding his ex-wife Mandy Moore:

@TheRyanAdams 

She didn't like the Melvins or BladeRunner. Doomed from the start... If only I could remember the start lol

(sorry for the thread hijack..   it wasn't worth it's own thread.)
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
 (signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

Online DToxico

• INDEEEEEED
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2018, 01:25:18 PM »
Was wondering when someone would post something about that here

Mentioned it to my fiance and he was laughing his ass off

It's a legitimate concern, Ryan