Buzzo's Greatest Guitar Solos

Started by John Schuller, November 02, 2018, 11:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pringles

Luck is a residue of design

John Schuller

Quote from: Pringles on November 13, 2018, 10:43:59 PM
Eye Flys

This is an excellent choice. His guitar work on this is stellar.

(the) Razor

Quote from: Stonergrunge on November 04, 2018, 09:04:05 AM
'The Bit' is also a good choice.

There's a video on YouTube where Mark posted in the comments how he wrote and played this guitar solo.
Don't click this

amazonAMAZON

There's some good ones on Hold It In, I think that outro of maybe The Bunk Up is the one that has this sort of syncopated dissonant descending figure in the middle of it.

Also the song I was thinking about from Never Breathe was "Yuppie Cadillac" I suspect Buzz is doing a half jab at dad rock, but then once the solos are doubled into a stereo pair it ends up being quite enjoyable.

moose

Well, we'll always have "In the Air Tonight." Will that be your most enduring song?
You know, that song won't lie down. It just won't go away. I mean, there's a Mike Tyson moment associated with it now. It's just bizarre. I guess it has a bit of mystery, a lot of atmosphere, and the drums coming in, pinning people to the wall.

Stonergrunge

Quote from: (the) Razor on November 23, 2018, 03:26:12 PM
Quote from: Stonergrunge on November 04, 2018, 09:04:05 AM
'The Bit' is also a good choice.

There's a video on YouTube where Mark posted in the comments how he wrote and played this guitar solo.

:lol: Actually I was thinking about the live version.
cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love.
Foot fetishism means love, because, it's the magic of feet odor... Long live depravation.

Foe Hammer

I primarily used this forum to become aware of solos in the first place, but the last 90 seconds or so of In The Freaktose The Bugs Are Dying is magic. I figure that one of 'em's Mark D, cause his ego was too goddamn big for his britches and he felt like he needed to do the solos, but it sounds like double guitar...maybe Buzz did the simpler parts? Not sure.

Outside of that, I think that Hund is tight as hell. There's this few seconds where he just goes at blistering lightspeed and it's really tight overall. Dr. Geek is also great for someone who typically never does finger-tapping, ever.

I couldn't identify a real "solo" in anything before Your Blessened, and Your Blessened's really doesn't sound like a solo to me. But, oh well.
(a) Senile Animal would be a better album without that shitty guitar tone.

black stallion

Charmicarmicat:Bastards

moose

Quote from: Foe Hammer on June 02, 2022, 10:37:30 PM
I primarily used this forum to become aware of solos in the first place, but the last 90 seconds or so of In The Freaktose The Bugs Are Dying is magic. I figure that one of 'em's Mark D, cause his ego was too goddamn big for his britches and he felt like he needed to do the solos, but it sounds like double guitar...maybe Buzz did the simpler parts? Not sure.

Outside of that, I think that Hund is tight as hell. There's this few seconds where he just goes at blistering lightspeed and it's really tight overall. Dr. Geek is also great for someone who typically never does finger-tapping, ever.

I couldn't identify a real "solo" in anything before Your Blessened, and Your Blessened's really doesn't sound like a solo to me. But, oh well.

There's finger tapping?
Well, we'll always have "In the Air Tonight." Will that be your most enduring song?
You know, that song won't lie down. It just won't go away. I mean, there's a Mike Tyson moment associated with it now. It's just bizarre. I guess it has a bit of mystery, a lot of atmosphere, and the drums coming in, pinning people to the wall.

vince furnier

Quote from: moose on June 03, 2022, 09:16:04 AM
Quote from: Foe Hammer on June 02, 2022, 10:37:30 PM

There's finger tapping?
sounds more like a bunch of rockabilly shit jammed into a short space and kind of flubbed too. i recall a critic calling this a half-assed attempt at Revend Horton Heat.  :lol:

https://youtu.be/JRs91ZuT82Y
Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

GiveMe45

vince furnier

Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

POOP GRENADE

Interesting.  Thanks for posting that comparison Vince.

I have only recently been able to separate the contributions of Mark that I previously attributed to Buzz.

amazonAMAZON

It's really too bad they had a falling out. Mark is amazing.

I know I watched that whole thing on YouTube where he explained who did what on Stag. But I don't recall him taking credit for the "Tipping the Lion" solos. Am I wrong?

John Schuller

Yeah, when musicians fall out - it sucks. Mark is a totally great guy, true sweetheart. Buzz is a totally great guy, a sweetheart as well. I'm guessing touring life made things hard between them - it can drive anyone crazy! The work that Mark did with the Melvins in my opinion is their most creative and solid. In a perfect world I would love for them to be able to bury the hatchet, but I also understand if they do not.