The Melvins in 2019...

Started by johnnyg, November 05, 2018, 11:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chief Ten Beers

I'm ready for the Melvins hologram tour featuring Lorax, Mark D, & Joe all in one night. :lol: \:D/

GiveMe45

Quote from: deatheats on February 19, 2019, 12:29:41 PM
Quote from: GiveMe45 on February 18, 2019, 01:32:57 PM
Fri, May 3 - Spanish Ballroom in Tacoma WA w/ Helms Alee
Sat, May 4 - Crystal Ballroom in Portland, OR as part of Sabertooth Music & Brewfest

The fucking Crystal...as part of a festival...hmm, may be missing them this time around.
I'm thinking about going up for the Tacoma show.....

Peebot

Quote from: GiveMe45 on February 20, 2019, 07:58:03 PM
Quote from: deatheats on February 19, 2019, 12:29:41 PM
Quote from: GiveMe45 on February 18, 2019, 01:32:57 PM
Fri, May 3 - Spanish Ballroom in Tacoma WA w/ Helms Alee
Sat, May 4 - Crystal Ballroom in Portland, OR as part of Sabertooth Music & Brewfest

The fucking Crystal...as part of a festival...hmm, may be missing them this time around.

do it! See ya there.

deatheats

Quote from: GiveMe45 on February 20, 2019, 07:58:03 PM

I was pondering that as well, but realized I'll be at the coast for a friend's birthday on Friday.
Oh well, can't see 'em every time!  :wink:

Peebot

Is the Crystal Ballroom a harsh venue? I've never been there.

deatheats

Quote from: Peebot on February 21, 2019, 03:57:30 PM

Its an old dance hall that's been converted into a venue.   The views from everywhere on the floor are awful, the floor itself is usually split down this odd angle for 21 and over, the sound is mediocre, and the crowds that go to shows there are usually only half interested in whats going on onstage.  If you are early enough you can stand on a bench at the wall of the venue and you might be able to see something ;)

It would be perfect for an actual ball (with its bouncy floor), but for music it is probably my least liked venue in town.

Although I did see the Melvins there once (20th anniv, with Mudhoney opening).  It was a good show, but I'd rather see them play just about anywhere else.
They probably got a pretty good offer from Sabertooth, so good on them.

GiveMe45

Quote from: Peebot on February 21, 2019, 03:57:30 PM
It's not horrible.  Seen Melvins there a couple times.  Once when I was seeing them there I was in line to grab a beer and all the sudden I notice I'm standing next to Krist Novoselic.  I had a few beers in me so I blurted out "I'd vote for you for lieutenant governor" (he was running up in Washington at the time).  He handed me some of his campaign materials and we talked for a few minutes.

In regard to the upcoming show...I'm just not excited about the premise of an all-day brewfest leading up to a Melvins set.  Will not be a fun crowd to be around.

Peebot

totally makes sense, thanks.

btw, I just bought my tix for the Tacoma show on the 3rd and the link on the McMenamin's site is incorrectly going to a page to buy tickets for the Crystal Ballroom show on the 4th. Took a bit of digging to find the correct page for the Tacoma show, so for ease for anyone else who's looking to buy them here is the correct link:

https://www.etix.com/ticket/p/5323778/sabertooth-presentsthe-melvinshelms-alee-holy-grove-21-tacoma-mcmenamins-elks-temple

stoked to check out that new venue, sounds pretty cool. They just spent a pretty penny refurbishing it.

https://seattle.curbed.com/2018/12/3/18120491/tacoma-elks-lodge-historic-mcmenamins

))))((((

I wonder if 2019 is going to turn out to be a rather more "quiet" year touring wise for the band or whether they'll hit the US/European roads further on post-Summer.

Bigval

QuotePearl Jam and Soundgarden drummer Matt Cameron is teasing a mysterious new recording project with Foo Fighters drummer Taylor Hawkins and Melvins frontman Buzz Osborne. Cameron has shared two videos on his Instagram story of the trio working on music in Sun Valley, CA. Hawkins fronted a one off Soundgarden reunion performance in Los Angeles at the 'I Am The Highway' Chris Cornell tribute show in Los Angeles last month. The Melvins were the first performers at the show, introduced by Soundgarden's surviving members.

http://www.alternativenation.net/foo-fighters-pearl-jam-supergroup-recording-video-leaks/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=lLegC-YmJks

amazonAMAZON

I'm up for that. Taylor Hawkins is plenty gifted. I could never quite get into his music as it was too deep an Inception thing, like he's the the Dave Grohl of the Dave Grohl band. But Buzz in a supergroup is good news.

John Schuller

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on February 25, 2019, 09:19:06 PM
I'm up for that. Taylor Hawkins is plenty gifted. I could never quite get into his music as it was too deep an Inception thing, like he's the the Dave Grohl of the Dave Grohl band. But Buzz in a supergroup is good news.

Nice! I think they are doing a cover of "She" by KISS.

Peebot

Quote from: sadcorps on February 26, 2019, 12:16:05 AM
Quote from: amazonAMAZON on February 25, 2019, 09:19:06 PM

Nice! I think they are doing a cover of "She" by KISS.

I thought so too! that would be awesome. Maybe not this awesome, but still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUh4AlZiOGg

black stallion

Charmicarmicat:Bastards

GiveMe45

Got train tickets, hotel and show tickets for Tacoma.

Still on the fence about Portland but I'll probably go