Dale Crover Interview

Started by SIGHT/SOUND/RHYTHM, December 08, 2018, 09:48:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SIGHT/SOUND/RHYTHM

Hi!

I had the pleasure of interviewing Dale a few weeks ago whilst on tour in the U.K.
Thought some of you might be into reading it: sightsoundrhythm.tumblr.com

Thanks!

vince furnier

Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

SIGHT/SOUND/RHYTHM

Massively appreciated! Thanks for sharing.

black stallion

Charmicarmicat:Bastards

GrimReaper

Quote from: SIGHT/SOUND/RHYTHM on December 08, 2018, 09:48:13 AM
Hi!

I had the pleasure of interviewing Dale a few weeks ago whilst on tour in the U.K.
Thought some of you might be into reading it: sightsoundrhythm.tumblr.com

Thanks!

Strong work!!!

Nizamark

QuoteDave had even drawn up some plans for building one large drum set that we would both play

never heard that before. you broke some news. 

well done. i really enjoyed the whole interview.

moose

I wonder what really happened to end Crystal Fairy...I've heard all the Omar stuff like he played with At the Drive In instead...but why didn't they just pick it back up?
Well, we'll always have "In the Air Tonight." Will that be your most enduring song?
You know, that song won't lie down. It just won't go away. I mean, there's a Mike Tyson moment associated with it now. It's just bizarre. I guess it has a bit of mystery, a lot of atmosphere, and the drums coming in, pinning people to the wall.

bUTTHOLEmAN

Quote from: moose on December 12, 2018, 09:30:56 PM
..but why didn't they just pick it back up?
I'm guessing that Buzz and co. have just moved on. Something caused the tour to be cancelled, and that something is probably going to prevent them from touring (as crystal fairy) any time in the near future.

Thanks for the interview, that three set tour was unbelievable.
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

GrimReaper

Buzz wanted to practice for the tour and Omar refused, "I don't need to practice! I'm a professional musician for Fucks sake. Look at my extensive out put of music!"

I made the quote up, but the interviews at the time of the tour cancellation suggested it. Also dealing with a married couple must have been challenging.

http://ipecac.com/artists/omar_rodriguez-lopez

Bigval

After Omar & Teri stood up the Melvins guys over that tour I noticed Ipecac haven't put out anything from them since either.

vince furnier

Quote from: Bigval on December 13, 2018, 05:52:32 AM
After Omar & Teri stood up the Melvins guys over that tour I noticed Ipecac haven't put out anything from them since either.

We heard Omar refused to rehearse the material. not even once. the album was made on an assembly line, btw. they never even played in the same room.
Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

deatheats

Quote from: vince furnier on December 13, 2018, 07:22:21 AM
We heard Omar refused to rehearse the material. not even once...

:facepalm:

It's just maddening, such an awesome album which would have killed live.

(PAUL)

Yeah that's a great album. I'm guessing the ATDI reunion tour money was better too. On a personal note I was supposed to see At the Drive In live in Chicago last year but then they cancelled the show because they were booked to play Riotfest later in the year when I was on vacation so both At the Drive In and Riotfest can fuck right off  :lol:
Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

))))((((

Quote from: GrimReaper on December 13, 2018, 12:23:54 AM
Buzz wanted to practice for the tour and Omar refused
I know im no musician myself, but i often wonder why bands do rehearse on every tour. I mean we've all seen Melvins rehearsing before - it never sounds any different. Same goes for any band that stick at it - they already have it down. It was fresh material too, they don't need to bother.

Quote from: GrimReaper on December 13, 2018, 12:23:54 AM
dealing with a married couple must have been challenging.
Probably. They could have been Sonic Youth 2.0!!!

Quote from: Bigval on December 13, 2018, 05:52:32 AM
I noticed Ipecac haven't put out anything from them since either.
I thought the latest Le Butchettes was on Ipecac?

Quote from: vince furnier on December 13, 2018, 07:22:21 AM
the album was made on an assembly line, btw. they never even played in the same room.
Having read all the interviews, it did seem it was basically Buzz, Dale and Teri who did the album and mostly worked on the songs. While Omar recorded his bass parts later. So yes, not really a full band effort in some regards.

johnnyg

Quote from: moose on December 12, 2018, 09:30:56 PM
I wonder what really happened to end Crystal Fairy...I've heard all the Omar stuff like he played with At the Drive In instead...but why didn't they just pick it back up?

I have no inside info at all, but my guess is Buzz asked Omar if he could commit to Buzz/Crystal Fairy plans, and Omar said yes. Omar then flaked, which really screwed over Buzz as, maybe unlike Omar, he needs to gig to make money for the year. So, Buzz saw Omar basically not caring about something that Buzz was putting 100% into and agreed to do (Dale even said they were going to pause the melvins for CF!) and that that rightfully so really angered Buzz. Also, I think Buzz is definitely the kind of guy that follows through on his word, and Omar's flakiness really made him mad, as well.

Honestly, I liked Crystal Fairy a lot, but I sort of thought Omar made it "too busy" sounding. I sort of wish it was just Melvins and teri, which from the live show, was definitely awesome. But, in the long run, for me personally, it doesn't really matter- as long as I get Melvins in some form, I probably get the same amount of "enjoyment" from it, no matter the form it takes.