Dale Crover Interview

Started by SIGHT/SOUND/RHYTHM, December 08, 2018, 09:48:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

))))((((

It's funny because at the time the album was announced and we started hear the odd song preview, i remember reading from fans on The Comatorium forum (a place for all things ATD-I, Mars Volta and Omar) that this project wouldn't have legs. That it would soon sink down and be forgotten among Omar million other projects and records. At the time i thought this was ridiculous and fully expected Crystal Fairy to be quite a stable, long running thing. Lots of shows and more records in the future. Seems i was very much mistaken. Same happened to me with Shrinebuilder. I had high hopes that soon fizzled out.

johnnyg

Quote from: ))))(((( on December 13, 2018, 02:49:59 PM
It's funny because at the time the album was announced and we started hear the odd song preview, i remember reading from fans on The Comatorium forum (a place for all things ATD-I, Mars Volta and Omar) that this project wouldn't have legs. That it would soon sink down and be forgotten among Omar million other projects and records. At the time i thought this was ridiculous and fully expected Crystal Fairy to be quite a stable, long running thing. Lots of shows and more records in the future. Seems i was very much mistaken. Same happened to me with Shrinebuilder. I had high hopes that soon fizzled out.

Shrinebuilder had such promise. People weren't thrilled with the album, but I actually loved it. Also, the live show was amazing. I saw it in san jose and it was incredible.

Rusty Shackleford

Thanks for the good interview.  The part that stuck out to me the most was Dale needing to wear hearing aids at home around the kids. 

I was also interested to learn just when Dale had his shoulder injury.  Touring with Jello, so probably 2005 or so.  He mentioned the injury briefly in a podcast interview a year or two ago but didn't say when it happened. 

Chief Ten Beers

Quote from: Bigval on December 13, 2018, 05:52:32 AM
After Omar & Teri stood up the Melvins guys over that tour I noticed Ipecac haven't put out anything from them since either.

I doubt Ipecac is that petty or that Buzz/Dale would influence the label to disassociate w/ them. Teri probably tried another label under the guidance of Omar. Ipecac isn't run like a mafia, and they don't really "sign" anyone. Ipecac has basically one-album deals, where bands are free to go to other labels and come back later if they like. Dub Trio & Dalek are two examples of that.
I have to admit a lot of bands I like and/or discover on Ipecac I don't follow as much when they jump to another label. Has anyone heard the new Le Butcherettes btw, and how is it?

bUTTHOLEmAN

Quote from: Chief Ten Beers on December 13, 2018, 06:23:21 PM
. Has anyone heard the new Le Butcherettes btw, and how is it?
Not released yet afaik, but here's one song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEV_xEQ4tZw
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

moose

That must be pretty shitty for Teri, holding Melvins in such high esteem, and then her husband fucks it up. Who knows though...
Well, we'll always have "In the Air Tonight." Will that be your most enduring song?
You know, that song won't lie down. It just won't go away. I mean, there's a Mike Tyson moment associated with it now. It's just bizarre. I guess it has a bit of mystery, a lot of atmosphere, and the drums coming in, pinning people to the wall.

))))((((

Rather humorously, even in the band photos Omar doesn't look too bothered about it!

Bigval

After Omar & Teri stood up the Melvins guys over that tour I noticed Ipecac haven't put out anything from them since either.

I doubt Ipecac is that petty or that Buzz/Dale would influence the label to disassociate w/ them.

When Rutmanis was kicked out of the Melvins he was then kicked out of Tomahawk even though they didn't do anything again until a few years later. Patton holds Buzz in very high regard and I have no doubt after Omar & Teri screwed over Buzz & Dale that that's why the conveyor belt of Omar releases on Ipecac came to a grinding halt.

(PAUL)

Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on December 13, 2018, 07:58:43 PM
. Has anyone heard the new Le Butcherettes btw, and how is it?
Not released yet afaik, but here's one song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEV_xEQ4tZw
Looks like a February release date. Here's a bunch of bundles: https://merchnow.com/catalogs/le-butcherettes
Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

Chief Ten Beers

Quote from: Bigval on December 14, 2018, 01:33:50 AM

I doubt Ipecac is that petty or that Buzz/Dale would influence the label to disassociate w/ them.

When Rutmanis was kicked out of the Melvins he was then kicked out of Tomahawk even though they didn't do anything again until a few years later. Patton holds Buzz in very high regard and I have no doubt after Omar & Teri screwed over Buzz & Dale that that's why the conveyor belt of Omar releases on Ipecac came to a grinding halt.

It's common knowledge Kevin got the boot from Melvins cuz his drinkin' & druggin' was out of control during the POTRE tour, fall '04. So I'm sure Patton wouldn't have wanted to put up with that either. I dont' recall him ever calling out Kev, or saying he's out of T-hawk. As I remember T-hawk didn't hardly play shows once Mit Gas touring was done.
  By the time Anonymous came out in '07, they were basically a studio band, all living in different cities. At that point I'd guess Kevin was onto other things, & they just didn't bother to call him. Then once Oddfellows was being made, & Dunn being back & forth w/ Fantomas & Melvins Lite, it wasn't a surprise that he took over bass duties when touring resumed - though not much of a tour, with the FNM reunion looming in bigger venues.

I haven't kept up on much of Patton's soundtrack/film score albums of late or much else new on Ipecac in the last 5 yrs. I seriously thought someone at Ipecac had either lost their mind or was asleep on the job when it was announced that Omar would be releasing a dozen plus albums on the label. But then again, they were just straight digital downloads - no real labor or manufacturing involved.

Captain CoryCory

Last I read Le Butcherettes is signed to Rise Records. The new stuff I've heard studio wise sounds a bit overproduced but live it absolutely scorches. As far as Crystal Fairy and Shrinebuilder goes while both were one-and-done bands at least Shrinebuilder got to doing about fifty live shows and had a handful of songs lined up for a second album before it fell apart (I'd guess largely between Wino and Cisneros based on interviews with Wino I'd read). Crystal Fairy never even got that far off the ground.

On a more positive note this interview is utterly fantastic.

black stallion

Quote from: Rusty Shackleford on December 13, 2018, 04:06:31 PM
Thanks for the good interview.  The part that stuck out to me the most was Dale needing to wear hearing aids at home around the kids. 

I was also interested to learn just when Dale had his shoulder injury.  Touring with Jello, so probably 2005 or so.  He mentioned the injury briefly in a podcast interview a year or two ago but didn't say when it happened.

yeah, that part was interesting. didn't know he had that problem
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

vince furnier

I can't believe they don't wear ear plugs.  #-o
Welcome to my Nightmare!
inbox is currently 82% full. TEAMWORK MAKES THE DREAM WORK!
"uh no, but we do know that meezer is vince furnier" - brian

jules

Love this interview! Specifically the 1996 tour of the UK:

Dale: I remember that tour. The Seattle thing was kind of over by that point and I remember our booking agent trying to talk us out of doing the whole tour in the U.K. He was saying, 'Look, it's going to be bad. London will be fine, but you just shouldn't do it'. We really wanted to do it though... but, on the whole, it was really under-attended.

Second time I saw Melvins was in Coventry in 1996. It wasn't at the University as the poster suggests, but at a huge nightclub venue called The Planet. They played to about 40 people. No one could understand a) why they played Coventry in the first place and, b) why so few people showed up. Whatever, I have fond memories of that show, Buzz playing bass and Mark guitar during the first set. We kinda hoped Coventry was on the list because of Buzz's love for World War II - Coventry was mostly destroyed by the Luftwaffe in 1940 and we noticed that Dresden (which was mostly destroyed by the RAF in 1945) was on the itinerary, too, about three weeks later. Coventry and Dresden were Twinned in 1956. There was a connection............

meezer

Quote from: jules on December 19, 2018, 02:38:57 PM. We kinda hoped Coventry was on the list because of Buzz's love for World War II - Coventry was mostly destroyed by the Luftwaffe in 1940 and we noticed that Dresden (which was mostly destroyed by the RAF in 1945) was on the itinerary, too, about three weeks later. Coventry and Dresden were Twinned in 1956. There was a connection............
So are you saying the Melvins are not only louder than Soundgarden, they're also louder than bombs?  :D
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix