Kim Thayil talks about his favorite albums

Started by bUTTHOLEmAN, April 02, 2019, 07:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bUTTHOLEmAN

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/soundgarden-kim-thayil-favorite-grunge-albums-812785/

Melvins, Gluey Porch Treatments (1987)
I could pick almost anything by Melvins, but I'm going to say Gluey Porch Treatments since it was their debut album. They made a lot of albums that were more inventive creatively and better produced sonically, but I'm picking this one because I like to think of them in that period.

They were the slowest band in the scene, but they started of being the fastest. At times Buzz had this Gene Simmons thing to his vocals, but the music was incredibly arty and somewhat experimental even if they were never self-conscious about it. They may not have been aware they were being so arty at the time, but all the rest of the bands certainly took notice. Just the fact that they slowed down was a big deal. The fact that they have arrangements that would often not repeat was cool too; it would just be a linear sequence: A, B, C, D, N.
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

coodies

Cool read! Thanks for sharing! I for one like what Skin Yard was doing on their first album. I sought out the vinyl so i could hear the lp only track "Burning The Candle." I see now that that song is up on YouTube. The CD has 15 tracks totalling 60 minutes. I'd listen to it while i'd take a walk.

coodies

Dumpster D

Woah bundle of hiss...Checking it out...hm! Never heard of it.

Somehow the first minute or so... it sounds vaguely like a super produced clean and glossy Flipper if that even makes sense?

give up

Dumpster D

Quote from: give up on April 03, 2019, 11:57:31 AM
I'm a person with no uplifting presence, or positive contribution to the board

Lemme just go ahead annnd.....there....Fixed that for ya...there ya go..thats better.

give up

Quote from: Dumpster D on April 03, 2019, 12:08:25 PM

Lemme just go ahead annnd.....there....Fixed that for ya...there ya go..thats better.

yea!  Pearl Jam and Alice and Chains.
Pfffttt.....

Mount Ambulance

what a lame list....

Quote from: Dumpster D on April 03, 2019, 12:08:25 PM

Nah, it really is a pretty lame list ... but grunge was/is a pretty lame genre so what do you expect? You should expect lame shit.

Buzz's list is a bit less lame but kinda lame all the same because grunge was/is lame ... what do you expect? I'll agree with Bad Motorfinger and some of the Mudhoney shit as being "good grunge"; but the majority of his picks that aren't lame kinda fall outta the parameters of dyed in the flannel "grunge" (Tales Of Terror, Flipper, U-Men) kinda pre-grunge influences really ... and if you gonna go that route I'd sub out some of those other lame choices for some WIPERS and maybe some DEAD MOON.

As per grunge being any good? I think this quote sums it up ...

"I might as well be listening to fucking Jon Bovi"
It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!

Captain CoryCory

Both articles are a bit on the circlejerky side but both have at least one record I'd be curious to give a shot.

(PAUL)

Quote from: Captain CoryCory on April 03, 2019, 04:16:28 PM
Both articles are a bit on the circlejerky side but both have at least one record I'd be curious to give a shot.
Which is a majority of Rolling Stone articles. Lot's of circle jerks over shit that came out years ago but maybe worth checking out an album or two.
Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

give up

ALL TAD, some MUDHONEY, a couple Soundgarden and Nirvana/melvins.

that's all ya need   8)

Tobias

I'm suprised there was no Green River on Buzz's list since they do cover "Leech". Not on an album but still
Have you ever only eaten what's alive?

Captain CoryCory

Quote from: Tobias on April 03, 2019, 08:58:10 PM
I'm suprised there was no Green River on Buzz's list since they do cover "Leech". Not on an album but still

Green River is kinda meh, though  :lol:

GiveMe45

Quote from: Captain CoryCory on April 04, 2019, 05:47:18 AM
Quote from: Tobias on April 03, 2019, 08:58:10 PM

Green River is kinda meh, though  :lol:
I never really thought of Leech as a cover because didn't Green River actually 'give' them the song?  Maybe I'm thinking of something else....