Author Topic: Flipper + Melvins split  (Read 10384 times)

Offline Pound4abrown

• gardening gloves
    • View Profile
Re: Flipper + Melvins split
« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2019, 06:41:56 PM »
got my cheap-o cd today. I just ordered on Mon. Pretty impressive shipping time. Enjoying Flipper Blues
Buzz on vocals?

Vocals are double tracked on Flipper Blues.not sure if they are both Buzz there are parts where it sounds like two different peoole. But I've only given it one proper listen.
 28mins long total a little longer than I expedted. Love hearing Trevor on more Melvins music.

Offline bUTTHOLEmAN

• Global Moderator
  • MITROWSKI!!!
  • Hang Ten Brah
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2019, 07:18:54 PM »
Nice, thanks
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

Offline 01001010

• Fears SNIVLEM
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2019, 08:59:15 AM »
Heh... it looks like my vinyl showed up at the PO Box in tow around 10 am yesterday... less than an hour *after* we had picked up pur mail (the mail delivery around here is pretty lousy, but at least it's relatively safe by using a PO Box). Can't wait to go back today to pick it up and give it a spin!

On a side note, I'm glad I was able to record about an hour of the Flipper set in Portland.... there doesn't seem to be any evidence that anyone else has recorded any of the subsequent shows - only the video clips from Al's, on youtube. I wish I had more memory in my phone, because the Portland show demonstrated that they were even more on top of their game since the first couple of shows on the tour. I can only imagine how good they could be sounding as the tour commences...

Offline GiveMe45

• godfather of grunge
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2019, 09:44:07 AM »
Got a notification that mine has processed through the local post office and is out for delivery

Offline 01001010

• Fears SNIVLEM
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2019, 10:03:57 AM »
Woo-hoo! We decided to make an early morning run into town and grab the mail. Looks like I just got my order pushed through in the nick of time.. Number #188!  :D

Offline (PAUL)

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • YEAH
    • View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2019, 02:50:47 PM »
Listened to it a couple of times, pretty cool! Sounds like Trevor on upright on the first two tracks and someone on electric bass on the last two (Steven?). Hard to tell who is playing what on guitar and drums but I'm guessing they're doubled up on everything. All the vocals sound like Buzz. Anyone know what they're saying at the beginning of Flipper Blues?
Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

Offline 01001010

• Fears SNIVLEM
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2019, 03:03:55 PM »
"Alright, I'd like to introduce the band; this is four guys with their hands up their assholes and their zippers down...."

After that, it becomes even less intelligible....   8)

Maybe something about seeing something at a festival... or maybe seeing someone's testicle... ?
I dunno, it's all about the same to me....  :-k

Listened to it a couple of times, pretty cool! Sounds like Trevor on upright on the first two tracks and someone on electric bass on the last two (Steven?). Hard to tell who is playing what on guitar and drums but I'm guessing they're doubled up on everything. All the vocals sound like Buzz. Anyone know what they're saying at the beginning of Flipper Blues?

Offline Tobias

• gardening gloves
  • You got high just like you do
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 14, 2019, 06:57:18 AM »
"Alright, I'd like to introduce the band; this is four guys with their hands up their assholes and their zippers down...."

After that, it becomes even less intelligible....   8)

Maybe something about seeing something at a festival... or maybe seeing someone's testicle... ?
I dunno, it's all about the same to me....  :-k

It's from "Flipper Blues" from the Public Flipper Limited album
Have you ever only eaten what's alive?

Offline 01001010

• Fears SNIVLEM
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 14, 2019, 12:22:10 PM »
Holy cats, you're right; how did I not pick up on that?  :facepalm:
I really haven't given that album enough spins since the day I bought it, I guess.
The first couple LPs are the ones I've really played to death over the years.
Leave it to The Melvins to recreate the whole vibe of the original, though!

It's from "Flipper Blues" from the Public Flipper Limited album

Offline 01001010

• Fears SNIVLEM
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 14, 2019, 01:57:26 PM »
On a side note, someone using the handle TacomaPunk uploaded some video footage from the Seattle show - about 48 minutes' worth. Not bad!

Here they are:
TacomaPunk

Offline Tobias

• gardening gloves
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2019, 02:39:21 PM »
On a side note, someone using the handle TacomaPunk uploaded some video footage from the Seattle show - about 48 minutes' worth. Not bad!

Here they are:
TacomaPunk

At any of the other shows has Yow invited the audience up on stage during 'Sex Bomb'? Or was it just Seattle?

Offline 01001010

• Fears SNIVLEM
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2019, 03:06:13 PM »
That happened the previous night in Portland as well.

I was video-recording on my iPhone from the edge of the pit, pressed up against the stage in front of Rachel, but I ran out of space on my phone after about an hour, so I didn't catch that - missed a few songs, in fact. I was able to get a few photos, though, including some of the crowd swarming the stage during Sex Bomb.

Unfortunately, I'm apparently not bright enough to know how to edit iPhone video footage into separate songs / clips, or I'd probably be able to share them with other folks, even the band members.

Also, for the life of me, I have not been able to post any photos on this here message board, except for the one of those Flipper pins, for some reason. The error messages I get basically tell me nothing at all, like they're just guessing. I've squashed a few pics down way below the size requirements, but with the exception of the one snap of those pins, nothing.

Anyone who thinks they can help me out with those little problems, feel free to let me know. I'm pretty good at recording and mixing in a small studio or a club, but when it comes to these little gadgets like "smart" phones, my brains go right down the toilet. Maybe if I had been born a millennial instead during the 50s baby boom.....

At any of the other shows has Yow invited the audience up on stage during 'Sex Bomb'? Or was it just Seattle?

Offline Peebot

• gardening gloves
  • Have a good time...ALL the time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2019, 03:07:38 PM »

Here they are:
TacomaPunk

when that happened at El Corazon he came out on the half-empty floor, came right up to me and put his arm around me and looked back up at the crowd with a big smile on his face. I put my arm around him in kind and said "Yeah man, look at this magic you've created!" and he looked back at me and yelled "I just wish they all had kazoos!" and then made his way back up on stage.

that guy. the best.

Offline Tobias

• gardening gloves
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 14, 2019, 03:55:51 PM »

Here they are:
TacomaPunk

when that happened at El Corazon he came out on the half-empty floor, came right up to me and put his arm around me and looked back up at the crowd with a big smile on his face. I put my arm around him in kind and said "Yeah man, look at this magic you've created!" and he looked back at me and yelled "I just wish they all had kazoos!" and then made his way back up on stage.

that guy. the best.

I got up on stage. I was right behind Ted. didn't Yow do some crazy shit at this show? i saw him rubbing some bald guys head for like a solid minute. I wanna say he made out with someone and pulled his dick out? my view was obstructed but that's what it seemed was going on.

that would've been kool if they handed out kazoos

Offline 01001010

• Fears SNIVLEM
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 14, 2019, 04:09:23 PM »
Funny thing is, before the Portland show I saw one of the clips on youtube from the last run of shows with Bruce, where they gave some guy a kazoo and invited him on stage. I don't think he ever did play the thing, but it reminded me that I have one or two kazoos around my house, and I tried to find it before the show, to no avail. Probably just as well.

In those Seattle clips, there's one where right after Shed No Tears, the trouser minnow makes a cameo appearance, per request from the audience.  :oops:

I got up on stage. I was right behind Ted. didn't Yow do some crazy shit at this show? i saw him rubbing some bald guys head for like a solid minute. I wanna say he made out with someone and pulled his dick out? my view was obstructed but that's what it seemed was going on.

that would've been kool if they handed out kazoos