Author Topic: Flipper + Melvins split  (Read 5929 times)

Offline amazonAMAZON

• knows moss
    • View Profile
Re: Flipper + Melvins split
« Reply #105 on: June 19, 2019, 01:44:37 PM »
I've had a few days to absorb this EP. I like it. Hot Fish and Sacrifice are the better tracks for me. I didn't really grow up with Flipper, though I've heard the records on occasion, so Blues and Shine are basically new to me.

All the cover songs are long without really going anywhere, except that "Sacrifice" has that big Buzz KISS yell at the end. "Shine" feels a lot like "Euthenasia" and after hearing the source material I appreciate this version more.

It's a good record. I'd probably recommend the Sabbath EP over this if someone were asking, but if this is part of an ongoing series I hope they keep doing more.

Also, there's a lot of flamming going on with the drums. Is this all two drummers?

"Get up, open the curtains and smell the Melvins." -jules

Offline buddy holiday

• Has a copy of the vinney/buzzo interview
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 20, 2019, 02:33:11 AM »
I noticed that the 'brand new' page on shoxop has been updated to remove the sold out stuff. potentially this is a sign that some of the remains of the flipper 10“ could go up soon....
happened for the sabbath 10" like this... so as a headsup to those who missed out.

Offline DToxico

• INDEEEEEED
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 28, 2019, 08:01:13 AM »
Finally listened to it. I like it. Now it looks like there's a collab or split or something with Shitkid on the way according to the band's Facebook?

Offline Alex-

• shit talking thieves
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 29, 2019, 03:17:17 PM »
Finally listened to it. I like it. Now it looks like there's a collab or split or something with Shitkid on the way according to the band's Facebook?

I’ve seen that too! Hopefully it’s a collab instead of a split, but I would buy it either way..

Offline bUTTHOLEmAN

• Global Moderator
  • MITROWSKI!!!
  • Hang Ten Brah
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 29, 2019, 03:36:53 PM »

if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

Offline amazonAMAZON

• knows moss
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 29, 2019, 09:48:20 PM »
Interesting that two songs are billed as simply Melvins
"Get up, open the curtains and smell the Melvins." -jules

Offline Fureon Nectarmoon

• knows moss
  • RAIN-BOOOOOOW!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 30, 2019, 09:59:18 AM »
Sacrifice has been done to death over the years... but I'm glad they at least did a different rendition. Thought I think it doesn't pack the same punch as the Lysol one.

I Saw You Shine, oh wow. Now that's a great cover. It does sound like Euthanasia as has been already mentioned, but
I haven't heard a Melvins song as emotionally heavy as this since... The Decay Of Lying probably.
Sweet Young Thing comes to mind, I loved the mood on that. This is one of the best covers Melvins have ever done.

The other two songs don't do much for me atm honestly.
I mean Hot Fish has this mellow groove that's pleasant but it pales in comparison to A Senile Animal songs with the same vibe.
The double vocals on Flipper Blues are fun, but they're not enough to make it an interesting song.

Offline kingdiamond

• knows glen
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 09, 2019, 11:48:08 AM »
So when I went and saw Flipper + Yow in Indianapolis I talked to the guitarist for a bit and mentioned I was bummed that the Flipper/Melvins vinyl sold out so quick and he said to watch out for a repressing that will be sold on their website. I can't find a Flipper website but either way that brings me hope.

Offline 01001010

• Fears SNIVLEM
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 09, 2019, 12:13:05 PM »
*Maybe* Ted was talking about this site?
This place does have a bunch of merch they had with them on the tour out West, anyway.

Hello Merch

So when I went and saw Flipper + Yow in Indianapolis I talked to the guitarist for a bit and mentioned I was bummed that the Flipper/Melvins vinyl sold out so quick and he said to watch out for a repressing that will be sold on their website. I can't find a Flipper website but either way that brings me hope.

Online jules

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • A bad mouth betrays a bad mind
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 09, 2019, 12:16:03 PM »
*Maybe* Ted was talking about this site?
This place does have a bunch of merch they had with them on the tour out West, anyway.
That yellow shirt's the dog's bollocks.

I scored me a Melvins pipe-cleaner doll from the wife of a Flipper. She seemed anxious then pleased that I'd taken it out of its bag for the first time ever. It was in my old avatar, prolly lost the photo now.
'Anything doused in any kind of curry is great.'  -  spunkmonkey

'Life is silly. The appropriate response is laughter.' - amazonAMAZON

'Don't think I can do doublemint vinyl.' - Brooklyns Finest PoonTang