When exactly did Buzz and Dale move to California?

Started by h3r3t!c, May 23, 2019, 09:23:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

h3r3t!c

Does anyone know when exactly Buzz and Dale left Aberdeen/Montesano/Washington state and relocated to L.A.?

When was the last show with Lukin/the first show with Lori?

Must be some time in 1987 or 1988, but I failed to find a more precise date.

spunkmonkey

Tobias

In "Colossus of Destiny" I believe that Dale said that Buzz moved sometime in late 87 and Dale moved shortly after recording with the Nirvana guys in beginning of 88. January 23 1988 was when the Nirvana demo was recorded. Lukin's first practice with Mudhoney was New Years Day 1988, so the Melvins were "over" by that point
Have you ever only eaten what's alive?

John Schuller

Quote from: Tobias on May 24, 2019, 02:41:53 PM
In "Colossus of Destiny" I believe that Dale said that Buzz moved sometime in late 87 and Dale moved shortly after recording with the Nirvana guys in beginning of 88. January 23 1988 was when the Nirvana demo was recorded. Lukin's first practice with Mudhoney was New Years Day 1988, so the Melvins were "over" by that point

I remember the Seattle music magazine "The Rocket" had reported in their 1987 year end issue that Melvins had broken up. I also remember being very bummed out about that. I did end up seeing Nirvana (then Ted Ed Fred) and "Soon" or "Really Soon" (depending on the flyer) which both had Dale on drums on 1/23/88. I imagine he moved shortly after that to join up with Buzz and Lori for a new lineup of the Melvins.

Tobias

Quote from: sadcorps on May 24, 2019, 02:58:09 PM

I remember the Seattle music magazine "The Rocket" had reported in their 1987 year end issue that Melvins had broken up. I also remember being very bummed out about that. I did end up seeing Nirvana (then Ted Ed Fred) and "Soon" or "Really Soon" (depending on the flyer) which both had Dale on drums on 1/23/88. I imagine he moved shortly after that to join up with Buzz and Lori for a new lineup of the Melvins.
Wow! You saw one of the first Nirvana shows. How was it? I have a bootleg of that show. Also, I miss The Rocket. I liked it a lot better than the Stranger. I think I have a few issues laying around someplace

John Schuller

Quote from: Tobias on May 24, 2019, 03:12:55 PM

Wow! You saw one of the first Nirvana shows. How was it? I have a bootleg of that show. Also, I miss The Rocket. I liked it a lot better than the Stranger. I think I have a few issues laying around someplace

It was amazing - there were maybe 20 people there in total? I can still remember that show like it was yesterday. I only saw Nirvana one other time, with Melvins in Tacoma at Legends.

Tobias

Quote from: sadcorps on May 24, 2019, 04:42:16 PM

It was amazing - there were maybe 20 people there in total? I can still remember that show like it was yesterday. I only saw Nirvana one other time, with Melvins in Tacoma at Legends.
Which was a better show? Nirvana with Dale or Nirvana with Chad? Didn't the Melvins play the Legends show too?

John Schuller

Quote from: Tobias on May 24, 2019, 05:10:31 PM
Quote from: sadcorps on May 24, 2019, 04:42:16 PM

Which was a better show? Nirvana with Dale or Nirvana with Chad? Didn't the Melvins play the Legends show too?

I remember the Nirvana performance with Dale being amazing. I remember the Melvins set at Legends very well, but do not really remember the Nirvana set that night. So I am going to go with the Dale show being best.

GiveMe45

Dumpster D

Here's another sort of Inquiry of melvins history...

I am FINALLY after over 20 years studying about Acid king and Altamont.

It's weird Dale Was married to a Lori, and there was another Lori in the melvins...and Is Joey Osborne Related to Buzz in any way...weird.

Dale Has played a Major part in the stoner rock world, it's un-believable..who knows how much he's influenced music and drumming in general.

Dale's my Dude.  8)

FartLips

Quote from: JASONALEXANDER on March 08, 2024, 11:35:21 PM
Brilliant story, Ian!  :lol:  :lol: And what harm has Ian ever done to Fart that he deserves to be harrassed no matter what he writes, even when it's funny and brilliant as fuck? Digger > Nigger and an Fuck > Shut!  :lol: