Author Topic: Bangers Melvins Shitkid  (Read 16053 times)

Offline amazonAMAZON

• shit talking thieves
    • View Profile
Re: Bangers Melvins Shitkid
« Reply #105 on: September 11, 2020, 06:17:29 PM »
Having not read the zine, I can still see both sides. Buzz has been clear that he generally works with people that work well and tries not to interfere with what they do. I bet the request to abandon the image would have violated Buzz's ethos of letting the visual artist for the record/variants do what they felt was right.

If your political stance is entwined in your music, I can also see that extending to the art. Good on them (Shitkid) for sticking to their principles.

This is why artists have managers that negotiate contracts, to hopefully prevent these issues from interfering with the artist collaborations. A contract could have specified the art/communication approval process.

I like the EP. I truly want this limited art version way more than I ever did before. I think Shitkid as an artist is still an odd choice for the Melvins and I'm not surprised if they lack any reverence for the Melvins.

I liked the fact that the Melvins are looking to younger and different voices for their collaborations. My real worry is that this experience would prevent the Melvins from venturing out of their long time friend group for future collabs. This and the Crystal Fairy thing didn't end well. I hope we don't have a twice-bitten/thrice-shy situation now.

"Get up, open the curtains and smell the Melvins." -jules

Offline dead mike

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • The lie is a condition of life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 11, 2020, 07:52:00 PM »
What happened with Crystal Fairie?

Offline bUTTHOLEmAN

• Global Moderator
  • MITROWSKI!!!
  • Hang Ten Brah
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 11, 2020, 08:26:48 PM »
What happened with Crystal Fairie?
Apparently Omar didn't want to practice, according to rumours.
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

Offline Bigval

• H.F.S.P.R.!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 11, 2020, 08:43:38 PM »
I remember with Crystal Fairy they had some showcase type shows booked 2-3 shows in California in early '17. Then At The Drive-In announced their reunion tour with Le Butcherettes as support and the dates were at the exact same time as the Crystal Fairy dates so once those CF dates were cancelled that ended the project.

Offline Dumpster D

• MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 11, 2020, 08:55:43 PM »
The art in question looks like a pin-up poster you'd see on a WWII bomber. It looks like a classic charcoal drawing from the 1940's or 50's.

That's the kind of art you'd find in a mechanics garage in the old days, guys building dirt bikes.

Pin up art has more to do with Sailors being out at sea or a group of men up north in a lumber camp, the kinds of places where a man goes a long time, months or years without being in the company of a woman.

The clown face?

I looked up clowns on WIKIPEDIA, and By definition, the origin of clowns in history is interesting:

"... clowning is often considered an important part of training as a physical performance discipline, partly because tricky subject matter can be dealt with, but also because it requires a high level of risk and play in the performer.... Their entertainment style is generally designed to entertain large audiences..." 

Melvins have always been into hybrid styles. The art itself is gaunt, a directly contrasting visual. It's almost like it's been defaced like Graffiti on a subway ad or something.

The heart with the Bullseye, that enhances the symbolism aspect of the piece itself because of it's more obvious legibility. Things in art can take on so many different meanings, like the skull and cross bones, and flies...when I think of flies as a symbolic representation, I think of something that feeds off death, you know? Beelzebub, lord of the flies.

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• shit talking thieves
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 12, 2020, 02:00:29 PM »
Having only glanced a bit at shitkid’s stuff I get the feeling that things may have gone better if the naked lady clown had just been drawn with plenty of pit hair. 

Offline CoryCory

• merch vulture
  • 2008 - 2019, 2020 - ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 12, 2020, 03:03:55 PM »
Having only glanced a bit at shitkid’s stuff I get the feeling that things may have gone better if the naked lady clown had just been drawn with plenty of pit hair. 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Time will tell if anyone's talking about this band in five or ten years.

Offline ))))((((

• sun ra was right
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 12, 2020, 07:00:11 PM »
Time will tell if anyone's talking about this band in five or ten years.
I would say most certainly not. I don't say that in a mean "get back" way, just that i see it as unlikely. Even now at the "height" of their fame so far they are hardly a well known act. Plus i wonder what happened with Lina in the band. Now Shitkid appears to just be the main girl Asa. I wonder if it was an amicable split or something else there.

Offline Bigval

• H.F.S.P.R.!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 12, 2020, 11:57:24 PM »
Plus i wonder what happened with Lina in the band. Now Shitkid appears to just be the main girl Asa. I wonder if it was an amicable split or something else there.

As I understand it Shitkid up until a few years ago was always just a solo project for Asa and the other girl Lina only joined the band a couple of years ago and recently quit, maybe a relationship that ended? It happens.

FWIW I think Asa is quite easy on the optic nerve in that pic above but I probably shouldn't say that I might end up on Shitkid's shitlist ;)

Offline Bigval

• H.F.S.P.R.!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 13, 2020, 12:13:46 AM »
So anyway the whole bust up was really just over the artwork for Bangers? I didn't believe that at first I thought it was too silly to be legit. You don't go kicking bands off a tour just because you have a disagreement about the artwork on a split EP.

She's a young feminist woman from a very left-wing country like Sweden they'll die in a ditch over something like this Buzz should've had the gumption to back down instead of digging his heels in, it's only artwork it can be changed who cares. Disappointing. Now look at the all the bad publicity the Melvins have got out of it.

Sometimes I genuinely wonder how Buzz has been able to last this long in the industry all the bridges that have been burned over the years when given half a chance he always insists in shooting himself in the foot.

Offline ))))((((

• sun ra was right
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 13, 2020, 05:06:08 AM »
So anyway the whole bust up was really just over the artwork for Bangers?
It wasn't even that - the dispute came about from a pre-album drawing/ad for the record. It wasn't actually the album art.

Offline Bigval

• H.F.S.P.R.!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 13, 2020, 05:54:13 AM »
So anyway the whole bust up was really just over the artwork for Bangers?
It wasn't even that - the dispute came about from a pre-album drawing/ad for the record. It wasn't actually the album art.

Okay that's even worse I guess. I just really struggle to see how this snowballed into them getting kicked off the tour by Buzz.

Offline GrimReaper

• MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 13, 2020, 07:07:27 AM »

The Melvins have certainly picked out some great bands over the years. The Bangers record will always be great no matter what the controversy.

Being on tour is a different ballgame, you have to actually live with each other to a degree.

That out of the way, the Mod Pods did not make an impression. The crowd from Pony in tears after the the Mod Pod set in Seattle: c'est bizzare.

Offline ))))((((

• sun ra was right
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 13, 2020, 07:23:55 AM »
I just really struggle to see how this snowballed into them getting kicked off the tour by Buzz.
Reading the zine, the tour wasn't mentioned until Buzz informed them that they wouldn't be able to continue and to end the collaboration. In some ways it seemed harsh and out of the blue, but at the same time i can totally understand why Melvins took that decision. It might not have been an insulting exchange of words between the two bands prior to that, but it was enough to - possibly suggest to Buzz or anyone really - that it could easily lead to future conflict whilst out on tour. Obviously they didn't want to deal with that.

Offline Bigval

• H.F.S.P.R.!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 13, 2020, 07:58:15 AM »
I just really struggle to see how this snowballed into them getting kicked off the tour by Buzz.
Reading the zine, the tour wasn't mentioned until Buzz informed them that they wouldn't be able to continue and to end the collaboration. In some ways it seemed harsh and out of the blue, but at the same time i can totally understand why Melvins took that decision. It might not have been an insulting exchange of words between the two bands prior to that, but it was enough to - possibly suggest to Buzz or anyone really - that it could easily lead to future conflict whilst out on tour. Obviously they didn't want to deal with that.

Firstly thanks for putting some more meat on the bone as I haven't read the zine and I'm not arguing with you personally in anyway this whole thing is bizarre to me really. Taking the step of kicking another band off your tour is a very serious thing to do. Aside from depriving that band of income and exposure it's hugely frowned upon in the industry. Plenty of bands have toured together that hated each others guts and you just be professional get on with it and generally try to stay out of each others way. There hasn't been a punch up here between bands it's a minor disagreement over poster artwork, it's bizarre.

Look at the longstanding feud between RHCP and Mr. Bungle. It culminated in RHCP (Anthony Kiedis) as headliner on festival bills and having the right to kick other bands off chose to kick Bungle off of about 10 festivals they were also playing depriving them of income and a shit load of exposure that all the Bungle guys were so furious about they did that infamous Halloween send up video of RHCP and some of the guys said played a part in the premature break up of Bungle.