Melvins/Redd Kross tour + album 2019

Started by Stonergrunge, July 16, 2019, 03:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Jordan

Trying to book tickets for the Orlando show.
Tickets are $25, but with "service fee" ($7) and tax it becomes $34....
Isn't 30% a bit pricey for a service fee?
Are there any other options besides buying at the door?
Why say no to drugs when you can say yes?

dirtmerchant

Quote from: Bigval on September 03, 2019, 01:47:57 AM
Jesus christ $50 for a fuckin EP on vinyl.

Heard Haze on a podcast talking about people complaining about the prices of this kind of stuff. I'm paraphrasing but he basically said that normally just a print would cost that much and you're getting a record to top it off. These are considered boutique items and if you want it you're gonna pay for it.  Not to mention these aren't normal printed sleeves, they are screen printed if I'm correct. As he said in the Melvins documentary, these are boutique items for fans who are willing to pay that much. 

Bigval

Quote from: dirtmerchant on September 03, 2019, 06:36:04 PM

Heard Haze on a podcast talking about people complaining about the prices of this kind of stuff. I'm paraphrasing but he basically said that normally just a print would cost that much and you're getting a record to top it off. These are considered boutique items and if you want it you're gonna pay for it.  Not to mention these aren't normal printed sleeves, they are screen printed if I'm correct. As he said in the Melvins documentary, these are boutique items for fans who are willing to pay that much.

I get all that but to me this is taking the piss it's just gouging the fuck out of their diehard fans. This kind of shit wouldn't fly over here if people heard that a band was slapping a few cover songs on a 7" doing a "fancy" sleeve and charging the equivalent of around $75 AU they would cop so much shit and rightfully so.

I mean at least the band could sign the damn things or throw in a full length album on CD inside too.

bUTTHOLEmAN

Quote from: Bigval on September 04, 2019, 11:29:47 AM

I get all that but to me this is taking the piss it's just gouging the fuck out of their diehard fans. This kind of shit wouldn't fly over here if people heard that a band was slapping a few cover songs on a 7" doing a "fancy" sleeve and charging the equivalent of around $75 AU they would cop so much shit and rightfully so.

I mean at least the band could sign the damn things or throw in a full length album on CD inside too.
Yep. Big question is, will the tide turn, and people flat out stop buying the records?
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

linoleum blownapart

Hipsters will buy anything.

And like Buzz and Haze said, if you don't want to pay, find it and download it for free from the interwebs.  They cannot stop the flippers nor the theifs.  I say get what you can while you can.  In this case if in a year this does not come out with some other release on a cd, I'll have to steal it off the interwebs.  Records do nothing for me, I just what the file to slap on my phone or computer to listen to when every I want.

Too bad AmRep does not have a digital download site like band camp.  Even if they put them up after something sells out or they've made their money off the limited runs.
thrower of the bong water balloons

dirtmerchant

Quote from: Bigval on September 04, 2019, 11:29:47 AM
Quote from: dirtmerchant on September 03, 2019, 06:36:04 PM

Sounds like you want the fancy version for a non fancy price. It's a 10" record not a 7". Art was made by a hand carved linocut. If you're not familiar Maybe you should look up what that is and how time consuming it is. And there's only 400 of em. These aren't mass produced run of mill eps,  That's why they don't have run of the mill prices. If that still doesn't make sense , then just don't buy it. Could they be a little cheaper ...probably. But no one buys music anymore. Merch is really the only way bands can make money now. That and touring. Good for them for figuring out a way to keep doing what they are doing and staying afloat when in a time where bands are hanging it up because of not making money. If they didn't do as well in merch I wonder if they would tour as much as they do?

I agree it would be nice for them to have a bandcamp for all the singles and rare stuff.  That or a cheapie cd for every ep. seems like they usually end up on YouTube at some point or another though

#2 Pencil

The points Haze and Buzz have are purely justifiable. It takes time and they don't won't the shit hanging around. Get in sell it and move on. Hazes words on COD. Cool.

But they are slightly contradicting themselves. 100 was made available online. Only 1 per sale. Cool. The mass/international don't get a chance. Sold in 60 seconds. Remaining for shows. So less people get a chance of getting how ever many they want. That's my beef. Outside of that they can do what they want.
I heard their periods attract bears

Stonergrunge

Quote from: #2 Pencil on September 04, 2019, 06:46:16 PM
The points Haze and Buzz have are purely justifiable. It takes time and they don't won't the shit hanging around. Get in sell it and move on. Hazes words on COD. Cool.

But they are slightly contradicting themselves. 100 was made available online. Only 1 per sale. Cool. The mass/international don't get a chance. Sold in 60 seconds. Remaining for shows. So less people get a chance of getting how ever many they want. That's my beef. Outside of that they can do what they want.

That's true, also the Bangers Ep and this album with Redd Kross are not available on YouTube and they're not easy to find on torrent or in places like Soulseek. An AmRep bandcamp page sounds like a very good idea.
cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love.
Foot fetishism means love, because, it's the magic of feet odor... Long live depravation.

#2 Pencil

The fact that you can get the Bangers EP as well as Flipper and Sabbath as Cheapy CDs, I agree with the Boutique logic. I do not with This one. Unless it does come out later at some point.

I'm not over Redd Kross at all, but are their songs available on previous albums/releases?
If so, this could be why the EP is not available as a CD. Licensing issue maybe. So the Melvins tracks could be on something else later. Stevens (Kiss) EP never came out on CD either. But yes those tracks were uploaded to YouTube.
I heard their periods attract bears

jonE5

Quote from: Stonergrunge on September 03, 2019, 08:08:39 AM

Clearly that stuff was made for another kind of public, not us, and Buzz was very clear about it during the small portion that I could watch of the COD documentary. The only thing that really bugs me is the fact that there's no cheap CD of the Melvins/Redd Kross album... I just hope to see an Ipecac CD including those songs in a not too distant future.

I predict another Melvins covers album surfacing eventually. Being that most of their releases have been covers lately.

...And it gets exhausting to keep seeing the complaints about the prices on these limited releases.

It is HAND MADE ART that also happens to have a record included. Stop thinking about it as a "$50 EP"

-I am a huge vinyl nerd and a rabid Melvins fan. I can't always afford it.. So I don't buy it. I actually rarely do. I own a handful of them and I treasure them. I know there will be more. That's one of the great things about being a Melvins fan, they are constantly creating and a crazy prolific hard working band. I feel blessed that I can go see my favorite band in a smaller venue basically once a year for a decent fairly priced ticket and count on a constant stream of material that will always be interesting.
There are many fans of more popular bands that can not say any of those things. You have to get bent over and violated to go see them in a shitty arena for hundreds of dollars after waiting years for new material.

GrimReaper

))))((((

Quote from: GrimReaper on September 06, 2019, 08:11:27 AM
Buzz Trevor is next and a tour.
An album with just them two together?? Melvins (Lighter Than) Lite!

ilduclo

I think they should offer downloads of mp3 at low prices. I love the music, but the "artwork" in general is pretty sucky.

Stonergrunge

Quote from: ilduclo on September 06, 2019, 09:49:09 AM
I think they should offer downloads of mp3 at low prices. I love the music, but the "artwork" in general is pretty sucky.

MP3, AIFF, ALAC and WAV for that matter since they're lossless formats, that's why an AmRep bandcamp page would be such a good idea.
cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love.
Foot fetishism means love, because, it's the magic of feet odor... Long live depravation.

deatheats

Quote from: Stonergrunge on September 06, 2019, 11:23:12 AM
MP3, AIFF, ALAC and WAV for that matter since they're lossless formats, that's why an AmRep bandcamp page would be such a good idea.

^Seconded!

I've really been loving bandcamp of late, downloading FLAC the same day I place the vinyl order is awesome.