Author Topic: Post your Melvins collection  (Read 137188 times)

Offline Pelican

• knows moss
    • View Profile
Re: Post your Melvins collection
« Reply #1110 on: August 19, 2019, 10:17:05 PM »
I know I've got a pic of the wiring, I'm having trouble finding it. Might have to open it back up and take another. It's a clusterfuck in there though, tight rout for the pots and wires going all over themselves. Took me a while to trace everything to its right place.

Yeah, brass nut. Kevin's bass has it. When I built the replica I had my luthier put a brass one on that too, just to try to get the tone as close as possible. From what I've read online brass nuts are popular with slide guitarists, so it makes sense. I think it brightens up the tone as well.

On a technical side note, both pickups are bridge pickups, which also makes it more aggressive and gnarly sounding. The neck pickup for first version G&L SB-2 and Lynx is no longer available, so both had to be bridge versions. Two single G&L MFDs are big, gnarly sounding pickups. I'd say much more bite than Fender pickups. More sensitive to a pick. You can roll the tone back and get something in the neighborhood of a P or J Fender, but it's still kind of it's own thing. Hard to describe I guess. Loud too, they're passive pickups, but they're about the loudest passive pickups I've ever played. Check out any of those old Cows records, or some of the Kevin-era Melvins stuff, they sound awesome. This is a pretty good video (with the nearly identical green bass) to get an idea of what they sound like.

Never asked him about setup. My impression from talking to him, he's not a big details guy, lol. The action is kind of high on this though, maybe because of all the slide work he does?

I think that switch you're talking about is actually a desk bell. No idea what the hell he was doing with that.

Oh yeah, the locking strap buttons were on it when I got it. On the top horn one, the screw was backed half way out. I was trying to figure out if that's why there is so much gaff tape on there, or if he taped the hell out of it and the screw backed out without him noticing. Who knows, lol. But yeah, keeping it exactly as I received it (minus fresh strings). The strap was not his strap, but I scoured the interwebs for six months and finally found another one just like his last strap he used in Melvins, and on into Hepa/Titus. My other guitars and basses all have Grolsch washers.

I tried to post a few up close pics, but I keep getting an error message. The lower edge of the fret board is scalloped from the slide. 3 of the 4 knobs are broken off, one of the pot posts is completely sheared off, I assume from slamming the slide down. The pots all still work fine. I assume he kept everything dialed to 10 at all times. Also, it's got a white ASS decal on the headstock.  :lol:

Offline Pelican

• knows moss
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: August 19, 2019, 10:18:59 PM »
Here's the replica. For some reason I can upload this and not the detail shots of Kevin's. User error I'm sure.

Offline Dumpster D

• MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: August 20, 2019, 12:00:35 PM »
I wasn't sure about whether it was a Dinger bell or actually an FS-1 Style roland foot switch he'd taped on there.

I'd say what you got there IMO between the two singles is like having one Giant Humbucker or something depending how it's wired.

Have you ever tested the PUPs resistance with a Volt meter? I'd be curious to see what kind of numbers you're working with.  :P Hell..I might as well ask you the gauge of the wind on those bobbins eh?  :toke:

I definitely know the sound that bass make it the meanest most super crisp, super tight and mostly Top end and nasty bite...LOUD AF!!! 

I've always been more of a Jazz bass guy than a P bass guy...that being said...two Bridge pickups is pretty cool...that would explain why it's so loud apart from the output on those coils.

The high action is probably for slide like you said, either that or it's gone off over the years and no one's checked the relief ever.

Safe to presume the tape is holding the screw in.  :lol:

Those Locking nuts are a fuckin' nightmare IMO.

I was watching a Live Melvins set last night, from San Fran in 2003, guess what? he was using that bass instead of the slimer green one.  8) 8) 8)

I love your bass, Thanks for sharing with us!  8)

Heavy Nipples