Sneer and Snotulum

Started by amazonAMAZON, September 06, 2019, 03:22:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amazonAMAZON

Since it'll take another decade for new Tool music I figured we ought to make it easy for disenfranchised Tool fans to discover what the Melvins have been up to in the time after 10,000 days. The band who has released at least ten studio albums in the time it took for Fear Inoculum has produced a bevy of heavy, progressive, idiosyncratic seethers. Throw in a dose of WTF interludes/instrumentals for good measure. Here's my recommendation for a 2006-2019 Melvins compilation:

Sesame Street Meat
Billy Fish
Dog Island
A Growing Disgust
Onions Make the Milk Taste Bad
We Are Doomed
I Told You I Was Crazy
The Kicking Machine
Civilized Worm
T-Burg
City Dump
The War on Wisdom
Black Heath
Evil New War God
Queen Powder Party
Heathen

jules

))))((((

Put it this way, will the next Melvins album have anything on it that is cooler than the song 'Pneuma'? Most probably not. Will the next Melvins album contain something more embarrassing than the track 'Chocolate Chip Trip'? Almost certainly yes.

Colonel Cheese

I would put the savage hippy on that list as well

Stonergrunge

Nah, I like both bands. Nice tracklist, by the way. I would add 'Sober-delic (acid only)' to that.
cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love.
Foot fetishism means love, because, it's the magic of feet odor... Long live depravation.

amazonAMAZON

Strangely I love "Chocolate Chip Trip." I don't much care for the synth sounds elsewhere on Fear Inoculum.

I guess I might as well review the whole record...

Feels more like three epic EPs to me. There are plenty of Danny moments, plenty of Adam moments (middle of "Tempest" especially). There's a Justin riff somewhere in the middle of the record that's awesome and there's lots more Tool band moments than I expected. In that regard it's balanced and rewarding.

What's missing is a sense of humor, and that historically would be Maynard's realm. Maybe he has enough outlet in Pucifer that we won't hear Tool songs like "Hooker," "Arizona Bay," or "Rosetta Stoned" anymore. To me that's a loss.

The only instrumental I care for so far is "CCTrip" as it starts off like an Amon Tobin piece and ends up reminding me of "Divorced" but in some Pink Floyd odd meter. The extra songs in the digital version don't do anything for me yet.

I'm keeping in mind that there's a lot to soak in. I think it'll reward more on repeat listens.

The guitars sound big and the drums sound small and the vocals sound mostly like an afterthought. Maynard's voice, though, sounds good and on key and I don't hate it. The lyrics sound better in rhythm than they read on the page (indulgent pseudo spiritual affirmations).

It sounds heavily and intricately worked on but it still sounds like four musicians in a room. I don't think it suffered from the long delay. I hope the next release shows some more spontaneity and some wit and grit, though.

My complaints are minor and Petty and I'm more or less addicted already.

black stallion

many people on here seem to hate Tool but you can tell on this board there have been more discussion about Tool lately  than about Melvins  :lol: :lol:
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Stonergrunge

Quote from: black stallion on September 14, 2019, 05:31:33 AM
many people on here seem to hate Tool but you can tell on this board there have been more discussion about Tool lately  than about Melvins  :lol: :lol:

THIS.
cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love.
Foot fetishism means love, because, it's the magic of feet odor... Long live depravation.

Oscar

Quote from: Stonergrunge on September 14, 2019, 08:42:24 AM

THIS.

Word. My guess is because currently both bands could use about 10% of the other's work ethic. TOOL could loosen up a little and Melvins could sit with an album for a bit longer sometimes.

jules

How right you are; how RIGHT you are...

Bigval

Tool are a pretty big band, both bands are friends and closely aligned. A lot of Melvins fans seem to be Tool fans and also into stoner/doom bands neither of which do much for me but each to their own.

black stallion

Quote from: jules on September 14, 2019, 03:52:31 PM

How right you are; how RIGHT you are...

:lol: 

to be totally honest I do not consider myself a big Tool fan and haven't checked their new album yet. my post was referred to the haters that keep talking about something they hate... if I don't like something I tend to ignore it, that's my thought. with this said, not my intention to offend anyone

peace&love to all Melvins fans!
Charmicarmicat:Bastards