Author Topic: The Melvins in 2020...  (Read 7985 times)

Offline ))))((((

• sun ra was right
    • View Profile
Re: The Melvins in 2020...
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2020, 08:18:47 AM »
I feel like every Melvins album is made with a specific purpose or agenda.
Agreed! That definitely does seem to be the case more so lately. Buzz has an idea and then they run with it. Initially i wasn't too sure about all that, but now im okay with this process. It makes for some interesting changes/dynamics. Fun too!

But, could even Melvins put out 13 good albums in a year? I'm not a Mars Volta fan at all- is that OR-L stuff good at all... or is it just quantiity?
I haven't listened to those Omar albums so i don't know. I know he tends to record all the time and then just puts the recordings on the shelf to be released at some point. So i suppose it's not quite true that they are rushed or recorded back to back or brand new.

As far as Melvins i think they are somewhat the same. It does seem that they record quite a bit of stuff and then that just sits around waiting for Ipecac to decide when it's best to release it. So i presume the band do have some material in the vaults ready to go. The Void Manes collab, the 50 Melvins Lite unreleased songs and (unless it was a joke from Pinkus) we know there's that Rolling Stones covers album 'Sticky Feet' too. So that's potentially 3 there! However no i don't think Melvins could release 13 records in a year, but i was just using that as an example. I could imagine them putting out 4 or 5 though if they have that backlog of material. Whether it would be good or not, well who knows. Like Buzz said he could put out a record once every 2 or 3 years but he would have still recorded it quickly and exactly the same. Bands back in the day used to put out 2 records a year sometimes so why not now!

Offline johnnyg

• gardening gloves
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2020, 09:52:11 AM »
I feel like every Melvins album is made with a specific purpose or agenda.
Agreed! That definitely does seem to be the case more so lately. Buzz has an idea and then they run with it. Initially i wasn't too sure about all that, but now im okay with this process. It makes for some interesting changes/dynamics. Fun too!

But, could even Melvins put out 13 good albums in a year? I'm not a Mars Volta fan at all- is that OR-L stuff good at all... or is it just quantiity?
I haven't listened to those Omar albums so i don't know. I know he tends to record all the time and then just puts the recordings on the shelf to be released at some point. So i suppose it's not quite true that they are rushed or recorded back to back or brand new.

As far as Melvins i think they are somewhat the same. It does seem that they record quite a bit of stuff and then that just sits around waiting for Ipecac to decide when it's best to release it. So i presume the band do have some material in the vaults ready to go. The Void Manes collab, the 50 Melvins Lite unreleased songs and (unless it was a joke from Pinkus) we know there's that Rolling Stones covers album 'Sticky Feet' too. So that's potentially 3 there! However no i don't think Melvins could release 13 records in a year, but i was just using that as an example. I could imagine them putting out 4 or 5 though if they have that backlog of material. Whether it would be good or not, well who knows. Like Buzz said he could put out a record once every 2 or 3 years but he would have still recorded it quickly and exactly the same. Bands back in the day used to put out 2 records a year sometimes so why not now!

All good points- I sort of forgot that it appears they basically have 4 or 5 albums recorded already, as you point out.

Also, I back the 2 albums a year standard, as you say. Bowie, Judas Priest, Queen and others put out their best material in that time frame.

Offline JASONALEXANDER

• knows moss
  • Schnab will never surrender!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2020, 02:22:05 AM »
2020 could be an exiting year for Melvins!

Offline vince furnier

• godfather of grunge
  • see my only mind explode, when I've gone insane!
    • View Profile
Welcome to my Nightmare!

"uh no, but we do know that meezer is vince furnier" - brian

Offline Mount Ambulance

• watches fox red eye
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2020, 10:58:22 PM »
Bob Bert?

Mudhoney?

:-k

Bob did some drumming on the Melvinshoney thing
It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

WWKDD?

Online jules

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • A bad mouth betrays a bad mind
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2020, 10:30:44 AM »
.....Electroretard on vinyl.....Alive at the Fucker Club on vinyl....Melvins/Mudhoney......Melvins/Helms Alee.........
'Anything doused in any kind of curry is great'  -  spunkmonkey

'Life is silly. The appropriate response is laughter' - amazonAMAZON

Offline laptop sorcery

• knows moss
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2020, 02:22:03 PM »
.....Electroretard on vinyl.....Alive at the Fucker Club on vinyl....Melvins/Mudhoney......Melvins/Helms Alee.........
YEP, ALL OF THESE
"im ol' south!"

Online jules

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • A bad mouth betrays a bad mind
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2020, 02:33:52 PM »
Redd Kross (with Dale) have this to say on their site:

Our Euro April/May tour is being moved to Sep /Oct. New dates to be announced in the coming 7-10 day. Please hold onto your tickets for now they will be valid for the rescheduled dates.

In mean time please stay safe, we can’t wait to see you all!!! Love Redd Kross xoxo
'Anything doused in any kind of curry is great'  -  spunkmonkey

'Life is silly. The appropriate response is laughter' - amazonAMAZON

Offline buddy holiday

• Has a copy of the vinney/buzzo interview
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2020, 08:42:12 AM »
10" coming! finally! I am waiting for this since Haze started the reissue campaign.

Offline black stallion

• MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2020, 11:42:19 AM »
i'm happy to have the original version of Alive at The F. Club.. not a big fan of these reissues, still a cool thing for Melvins completists
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Offline Idlehanz

• Global Moderator
  • MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
    • The Colossus Of Destiny: A Melvins Tale
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2020, 04:26:28 PM »
.....Melvins 1983....

Offline bUTTHOLEmAN

• Global Moderator
  • MITROWSKI!!!
  • Hang Ten Brah
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2020, 06:00:01 PM »
Weren't they working on a Rolling Stones cover a year or so ago?
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

Online moose

• knows moss
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2020, 06:33:13 AM »
I feel like this might be related to that “history of rock music” thing that buzz has been talking about for the last few years. He certainly hasn’t mentioned it recently though.
Well, we'll always have "In the Air Tonight." Will that be your most enduring song?
You know, that song won't lie down. It just won't go away. I mean, there's a Mike Tyson moment associated with it now. It's just bizarre. I guess it has a bit of mystery, a lot of atmosphere, and the drums coming in, pinning people to the wall.

Offline ))))((((

• sun ra was right
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2020, 08:41:00 AM »
I know. That seems to have been mentioned a couple of times by Steven and his brother and then nothing else heard of it whatsoever. From Buzzo's comments in the recent podcasts, either that has long been completed and is sitting on the shelf or has been a totally abandoned idea. Doesn't appear like it is coming anytime soon anyway. The 1983 one sounds much more in their immediate thoughts.

Offline Idlehanz

• Global Moderator
  • MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
    • The Colossus Of Destiny: A Melvins Tale
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2020, 08:55:22 AM »

They were sound checking with Brown Sugar a lot.