The Melvins in 2020...

Started by johnnyg, December 31, 2019, 10:32:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Schuller

"Touring" as we remember it is not going to happen until maybe 2022.

))))((((

How do we feel about the fact that this may turn out to be the longest ever period between Melvins albums? In the past a new release has always been at least 1 or 2 years after the last one. Assuming there is nothing later in this year, 2021 will mark 3 years since 'Pinkus Abortion Technician'. Absolutely unprecedented from a Melvins standpoint.

jonE5

Quote from: Chief Ten Beers on July 15, 2020, 05:14:09 PM
I haven't gotten my Buffalo tik refund, but I'm not too worried about it yet. Basically I paid cash at After Dark Presents box office, and as of now their phones go to voicemail. They deal w/ E-Tix and are saying contact them for online order refunds. I'm not driving downtown to knock on their door for $20. I'm hoping later in the year they "reopen" and I can get the cash back. Same goes w/ tix for The Sword, and Uncle Acid from same place.

Got my refunds on the way for the two priciest tix I bought in March - paypal refund from Eventbrite for Primus - Tribute To Kings, and I got a check coming in the mail for King Crimson/Zappa band. Both of those have set dates for 2021, but I opted on refund. If things get "normal" by then, I'd buy again, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I had tickets for Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds at the Barclay Center in Brooklyn, NY. Show was supposed to be in September.
Tour got canceled of course and I did get a refund.
Craziest thing though.. few weeks ago my phone rings and it's a person from the Barclay center calling me to make sure that I was aware the show was cancelled and I had gotten my refund!! I almost fell over. Couldn't believe they were personally calling people. Guy was super nice and chatted for a minute. I told him this type of personal service was beyond unusual and I definitely appreciated it. He said "well we aim to please here at the Barclay Center" LOL
Then it got me thinking. this place holds 19,000 people and I'm sure they had events scheduled for most nights. How many people a day was this guy calling regarding all of these cancelled shows   :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

(the) Razor

Yeah true that, I'd be outsourcing  to India and get it done in  a day  :lol:
Don't click this

vince furnier

Quote from: (the) Razor on July 21, 2020, 07:29:16 AM
then no one would understand the conversation they just had!  :lol:
Welcome to my Nightmare!
inbox is currently 82% full. TEAMWORK MAKES THE DREAM WORK!
"uh no, but we do know that meezer is vince furnier" - brian

jules

Quote from: vince furnier on July 21, 2020, 09:36:49 AM
Quote from: (the) Razor on July 21, 2020, 07:29:16 AM
then no one would understand the conversation they just had!  :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqnFnWSYzaQ

CoryCory

Quote from: ))))(((( on July 20, 2020, 10:23:44 AM
How do we feel about the fact that this may turn out to be the longest ever period between Melvins albums? In the past a new release has always been at least 1 or 2 years after the last one. Assuming there is nothing later in this year, 2021 will mark 3 years since 'Pinkus Abortion Technician'. Absolutely unprecedented from a Melvins standpoint.

While I've enjoyed the recent albums to an extent I think the gap would kind of build excitement, especially if the album is an absolute banger.

bUTTHOLEmAN

Nick Cave recently streamed a solo performance, with tickets going for $20, I believe. The Melvins wouldn't have a problem doing something similar, I'd think.
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

))))((((

Quote from: CoryCory on July 24, 2020, 07:11:08 PM
Quote from: ))))(((( on July 20, 2020, 10:23:44 AM

While I've enjoyed the recent albums to an extent I think the gap would kind of build excitement, especially if the album is an absolute banger.
I'd tend to agree. Certainly with most other bands anyway. However for Melvins i think we all know that Buzz isn't going to change his working practice or tendencies. He said himself that if they wanted to, they COULD take longer between records but that whatever came out would still be something they had recorded at pace which just sat around for longer. I think that is something that so irritates me about this virus - that the delay in releases or longer dry spell of albums is enforced rather than something the band might have wished to do. But of course none of us can help that.

CoryCory

Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on July 24, 2020, 07:38:01 PM
Nick Cave recently streamed a solo performance, with tickets going for $20, I believe. The Melvins wouldn't have a problem doing something similar, I'd think.

Interesting. Wonder how many were watching/paid?

I've watched a few livestream shows on FB and the numbers tend to be hit or miss. Like watching Nick Oliveri with 100 people for example.

Bigval

Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on July 24, 2020, 07:38:01 PM

I'm no Bush fan really but I really liked what they just did, a full arena style show with all the production streamed plus you got a digital copy of their new album for $6 or CD for $9 + shipping. I kinda regret not doing it actually but full credit to them for thinking outside the box.

A straight stream of a live show probably wouldn't be worth it for the Melvins but if they packaged it with a new album download/CD there would likely be a lot more interest.

Dumpster D

I miss seeing bands...I miss Jamming.  :(

buddy holiday

i would never watch a melvins live stream.... that can only be painful in a way that i would constantly compare to how good it would actually be live in person.
i support them in buying their limited releases... forever.

but as for concerts i made peace with myself to wait 1-2 years until that happens again... even tough we already have live shows again in switzerland with the necessary covidrules adhered to. that again is for me personally, compared to the real thing, not worth it.

John Schuller

I think what we may start to see in lieu of "Touring" is more bands having residencies and becoming a "Destination Event". For example, if you want to see the Melvins, they are playing 3 nights a week at the Echo in Los Angeles over the months of April, May and June 2021. This means less travel for the band (saving money on hotels/gas/vehicles/meals), less time spent loading in/setting up/breaking down/loading out, more time at home with their families, less chance of getting sick - and with all of the restrictions/rules/regulations at the federal, state and local level that are going to come with doing shows post-COVID - fewer headaches of having to figure out how to adjust for each market when touring. Dont' even get me started on how people would do that going to different countries as well. The artist would be able to settle into this fairly easily, and I believe that the fans will settle into this very easily as well. Travel to concerts is something I personally love doing - I have done it many times and have flown overseas for it as I know other people on this board have done as well.

Can you imagine a vacation like - "Hey, we are flying to Los Angeles to see the Melvins do a three-night stand, followed by seeing Artist B and Artist C doing their residencies and then we might catch the Melvins for another three nights before we fly home."

It's just a thought, but I don't think things are ever going to be going back to the way it was.

vince furnier

Quote from: sadcorps on July 26, 2020, 12:13:43 PM
I think what we may start to see in lieu of "Touring" is more bands having residencies and becoming a "Destination Event". For example, if you want to see the Melvins, they are playing 3 nights a week at the Echo in Los Angeles over the months of April, May and June 2021. This means less travel for the band (saving money on hotels/gas/vehicles/meals), less time spent loading in/setting up/breaking down/loading out, more time at home with their families, less chance of getting sick - and with all of the restrictions/rules/regulations at the federal, state and local level that are going to come with doing shows post-COVID - fewer headaches of having to figure out how to adjust for each market when touring. Dont' even get me started on how people would do that going to different countries as well. The artist would be able to settle into this fairly easily, and I believe that the fans will settle into this very easily as well. Travel to concerts is something I personally love doing - I have done it many times and have flown overseas for it as I know other people on this board have done as well.

Can you imagine a vacation like - "Hey, we are flying to Los Angeles to see the Melvins do a three-night stand, followed by seeing Artist B and Artist C doing their residencies and then we might catch the Melvins for another three nights before we fly home."

It's just a thought, but I don't think things are ever going to be going back to the way it was.
that's great for you, Los Angelino. i'll pass!  :lol:
Welcome to my Nightmare!
inbox is currently 82% full. TEAMWORK MAKES THE DREAM WORK!
"uh no, but we do know that meezer is vince furnier" - brian