The most excited you've been for a new Melvins release.

Started by coodies, January 08, 2020, 08:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coodies

I remember being the most excited for the "(A) Senile Animal" record to see what the band would come up with. I've been a fan since '98 when my brother picked up a cassette of Gluey Porch Treatments and i remember him telling me the next year of a new album they were coming out with. (The Maggot) The Rutmanis years were great and i hoped they'd never end, but with the Melvins now heading in a new direction with a new bassist PLUS a second drummer, i was ready to see how it would sound.

coodies

I wish my brother would've gotten further into the Melvins catalogue. He had the Gluey Porch Treatments cassette, then purchased Stag on cassette and then quit.  :(

))))((((

Good thread idea!!!

Hmm off the top of my head im not sure. I've only been a fan since 2005 so not as many new releases/era as some guys here have probably witnessed. Having said that, regardless of however my fandom is swaying at any given time, i ALWAYS find myself excited about ANY new Melvins release. I just can't help it! I've always been like that. I get too into the anticipation and expectation. Even if i think it might suck im still very eager to find out more about what it is, to hear it and to finally purchase the darn thing.

I remember being very interested in 'Freak Puke' at the time 'A Walk With...' also. I suppose because both were something a bit different and new territory for the band. So im not sure. But i'd probably go with one of the three BB era albums. I really can't say which. Those were all before my interest started to wane a little or where i felt they could do no wrong. I was let down a bit by TBSM when i heard it but (A)SA and NWB were both excellent in my opinion so at the time i was very much looking forward to TBSM.

amazonAMAZON

I was probably most excited during the thirty seconds between the time I saw Colossus of Destiny on the shelf and the time I put it in the CD player at the store.

Day by day I was probably most excited for Crybaby and then Freak Puke. Both are strong and beloved albums that still somehow managed to cool off my love for the band. It's just hard to keep a streak, even for the winningest teams.

Almost every time I've anticipated an album it's been somewhat of a shock whenever it does finally arrive. I think Maggot and Bootlicker and Bulls & Bees were records I loved immediately after anticipating their release, if we are splitting hairs.

There is no other group which has more records I love. There's no doubt about that. And I think that fact exemplifies the best relationship a fan can have with a group's discography.

Melvins are in a rare category there with, like, Dylan, and Beatles, and maybe Bowie.

coodies

In terms of first getting and listening to a new release, i remember listening to "Freak Puke" like 4 or 5 times straight through on the first day i bought it, really getting into that one from the beginning. Another line-up change after the Big Business boys exited and Trevor joined the fold.

AxelFoley

Quote from: ))))(((( on January 08, 2020, 09:04:32 PM
(...)
But i'd probably go with one of the three BB era albums. I really can't say which. Those were all before my interest started to wane a little or where i felt they could do no wrong. I was let down a bit by TBSM when i heard it but (A)SA and NWB were both excellent in my opinion so at the time i was very much looking forward to TBSM.

First post (after the two initial posts by the OP) and this is immediately spot on in my case! I loved Senile Animal and Nude With Boots back in 2007 and 2008 when I first came into contact with the Melvins. I quickly bought (or DL'ed :( ) nearly all their other studio albums until 2010 when The Bride Screamed Murder was announced.

I remember eagerly listening to the 30 seconds clips of the record on Amazon before its release and thought that it sounded really great - a mixture of The Maggot and the two other already mentioned albums with Big Business. I was slightly disappointed with the end result, though, and still am not fully convinced of that record, but that definitely was their most anticipated album for me.
(And that's been nearly 10 years ago now - kinda crazy when you think about it :shock:).

(PAUL)

Honestly probably Honky way back when. I remember I was just starting to get into the band at the time after getting Stoner Witch, and when I finally talked myself into buying Stag there was another new album there too that I didn't know anything about, and while I thought about what to get for a minute or two (I was a poor teenager) I decided to buy both. I was immediately drawn into Honky, Stag took a bit to get into. I then  borrowed Houdini and Prick from a couple of friends which I then copied to blank cassettes and was well on my way to crazy Melvins fandom.
Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

black stallion

I'd say probably it was with Stag.after listening to it I thought these guys where just one of the most creative bands ever. in more recent years I have been very excited when ASA came out
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

GiveMe45

Probably Stoner Witch.  I got Houdini when it came out when I was really starting to get into them pretty hard after being introduced to them by some friends through Ozma, GPT and Bullhead. So by the time Stoner Witch came out I was really excited.  Didn't know about Prick until I saw it at my local record store the week it came out.  Stag was up there too.  Weirdly, I didn't know anything about Honky coming out until my girlfriend at the time bought it for me. 

Dumpster D

hm, tough call, I really don't think that's possible...but I was really proud of the band when they put out Freak puke and Nude with boots.

blacksanta

I became a fan in '93/'94 in Jr. High, and immediately set out collecting the back catalog, and was super stoked each time I picked up a release. I still get a thrill with new ones. I think Bride Screamed Murder was most exciting, first time I got a new release with my now-wife, so she got to be part of the first listen. PGx3 became our wedding aisle song.
Also melvins is gay cuz some of their songs are just noise, i tell you this so you all don't buy albums and find out only one two songs is good on them.

Mints

Is your wife's name Peggy or Gordon? I ask without judgment of course.

I think PGx3 is one of the best things the band has ever done.

amazonAMAZON

Wow, random bonding over PGx3. I like it as sort of a deconstructed art track, but I wouldn't consider it essential Melvs

Dumpster D

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on January 10, 2020, 03:18:38 PM
Wow, random bonding over PGx3. I like it as sort of a deconstructed art track, but I wouldn't consider it essential Melvs

I am emotionally moved by this track.  :cry:

the bloat

In the days before the internet, I remember hanging out in record stores and flipping through the Melvins section to see if anything new was out. You know, those plastic tabs that separated all the bands from each other? It was always a rush to find a new ep or an album you didn't know about. You would buy the CD and cross your fingers. I loved the rush of not knowing if it would be something like Prick or if it would be a "real" album like Stoner Witch.

I never anticipated any releases because I didn't know how to find info about the next Melvins record. Anyway, one particularly exhilarating find was Singles 1-12. This was in the mid 90s. Post Honky. I was super excited to find a new batch of Melvins songs! Double album too! I really liked Stag and was curious about what would come next. Little did I know this was B-Sides and leftovers. To this day I still love Specimen and GGIIBBYY. Still one of my favorite releases.

Oh... and then The Maggot blew my mind a few years later.